PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure higher in right arm

Thelegend27
02-06-17, 17:57
So when I check my blood pressure I usually do both arms, and I've noticed several times that my right arm reading is higher than my left usually the bottom number is pretty close but the top number is off by 15-20 numbers.

My blood pressure in my right arm usually runs about 130ish / 80 while the left arm sometimes dips down to 120's 110's.

My mother and brother both cannot get a blood pressure reading from the left arm and the doctor has never said anything about it. My mom is 60 years old with no history of heart disease or anything other than PVC same goes for my brother.

I'm not really worried about this but I am curious because I've noticed this for quite some time now. I'm not looking for medical advice or a diagnosis I'm just simply wondering if any of you have this and what it means.

I Googled it but all they come up with is pad and increase risk of heart attacks yikes lol

Fishmanpa
02-06-17, 18:27
I'm not really worried about this

Ya think? :winks:

Positive thoughts

CHELLEB1017
02-06-17, 19:12
Even if it is in the 130's you are safe! Doctors usually dont consider it a need for meds until they get 3 readings over 140!

Mrs.Anxiety
02-06-17, 19:38
I've had the same fear for a while. My doctor moved her blood pressure machine to another wall so now she takes it on my right arm. Besides it feeling weird, I've noticed my numbers are down by 5-10. I thought this was a good thing because I was lowering my numbers but I also got home one day and Googled this. I got the same heart attack search results and it freaked me out for days. I ended up calling my doctor and she told me this was no cause of concern, and explained something about how our left arm uses more force or more blood pumps-blahblah. Last time my BP on my left was 122/84 and my doctor didn't see a concern. She knows I get nervous as heck before and while she's taking it but my numbers are always wonky. I'm no doctor but I would suggest consulting yours to put your mind at ease. I know that's not easy. But you will be fine, dont' worry too much about this.