PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Eye Problems??

MrsB2017
02-06-17, 20:43
Hi all

I'm new here and just want to see if I'm not going mad and I'm not the only one that over thinks things.

I'm 31 years old and suffered with depression and anxiety since I was 18 years old. I have been wearing glasses for the last 5 years now and until recently I didn't have a problem with my vision, where now from time to time I keep getting pulsating in my vision and its worse when looking at a white background or something like...It go so bad I went to see my optician, he checked my eyes and I explained it to him and he said my eyes are healthy and nothing to worry about and my anxiety could be causing it. That was 6 months ago and it's been okay since then, until yesterday when started to flare up again, I'm not getting any dots, no blurred vision. I have recently been diganosee with high blood pressure in which I am awaiting to be put on the right medication.

Cut a long story short, because of my anxiety and scaring myself to death where I am thinking the worse and I'm having physical symptoms body shaking, weak legs etc... with my anxiety.

I am worrying too much???

Please someone say they have same as me or what I should do?

Melonpony
03-06-17, 00:55
Eyes are muscles, so they do get affected by anxiety (adrenaline and cortisol to be more specific). If your eye Dr said your eyes are healthy, I would trust it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MrsB2017
03-06-17, 14:00
Thank you for your reply.

See I woke up today and eyes were throbbing and pulsing.

Been out and about and nothing, just the usual little floaters when looking at bright sky etc... and I can only see a little pulsing now watching the TV but my vision is clear. My anxiety levels are high because of this, my hubby told me I'm making it worse worrying, the opticians have told me my eyes are fine and healthy.

I still am anxious, I can't help it. Does anyone suffer like this?

I Don't Get it!
03-06-17, 17:20
I don't get exactly the same symptoms as you, but I do get blurred vision, increased "floaters" and even eye pain occasionally. I also get migraines which disturb my vision and most or all of it is anxiety related. The other thing was I got eye strain really easily from any kind of close-up work, sewing, reading, PC use etc.

Last year I had numerous and thorough eye exams by various Opticians, Ophthalmic Surgeons (one very eminent in his field) and an Orthoptist and none of them could find anything wrong with my eyes. I even had a CT scan of my head.

I finally had to admit that my eye problems are more likely part of my anxiety. Unsurprisingly, just knowing this and accepting it (and not fighting against it), has made my symptoms reduce considerably.

Throbbing and pulsing definitely sounds like it could be anxiety related. I sometimes get it in my chest or stomach. As melonpony has said, any muscles anywhere in the body can get it!

MrsB2017
04-06-17, 10:08
Well I woke up today and as soon as I opened my eyes, I could see pulsing again along with when you turn your head to the side you can see a grey shadow which apparently is you side vision, that appeared in my vision until 10 mins after and now gone... what's going on with my eyes. I am tempted to go down hospital for them to have a look, however my hospital is crap over the weekend!

I am so worried!! I'm crying writing this

MrsB2017
06-06-17, 17:40
Hi All

Well I no longer have the pulsing unless I really concentrate on something on a white or pale background....the thing I do have is fuzzy when looking at bright or lite/white surfaces, backgrounds etc... in which I have also had but seems worse, however the opticians said this is normal??? I am booked in to see DR on Thursday due to other things and I'm going to mention this and also book another eye appointment at the opticians

What does everyone else think, is my anxiety making me overthink things?

Melonpony
07-06-17, 06:28
I think your anxiety is causing you to worry, and over scrutinize the symptoms (which amplifies them). Been there, done that!
I've calmed my eye issue fears by wearing sunglasses. It mutes the floaters and blurriness I get, so I don't obsess as much and some days I hardly think about it. But, before this, I was spiralling out of control and I truly believe I was making my eye sight WORSE by obsessing . I was straining my eyes from scrutinizing what was going on. It's the story of anxiety. I hope you can find some relaxation and resolve.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MrsB2017
07-06-17, 20:56
Thank you

New symptoms now is seeing yellow lines faintly in my vision on white background, is this normal? This is feeling setting my anxiety off more, as I am thinking all things...and thinking the worse, it comes and goes...and I am also shaking, my legs more though I think that is my anxiety, because I've had this before.

I hate this anxiety and I don't know how I am going to cope??

Am I going mad, or all my eye problems due to the anxiety or is there something wrong??? Help!