PDA

View Full Version : Side effects

vernon
03-11-04, 13:37
After much thinking it over I finally changed from Ticylic (Clomipramine) to SSRI (Prozac). I changed last Friday that’s 6 days now and am feeling really rotten, shakes more anxiety, belly ache and runs and headaches, much more than usual. The biggest worry is I have felt a bit of bad depression, I never really suffered depression often I suffer panic, anxiety and phobias. I know this anxiety gets me too feel real down in mood but not bad depression. Is it a side effect of starting SSRIs that can do these things? Thanks Vernon

davebrum
03-11-04, 14:11
hi vernon sorry you are having a hard time of it
over the years i have taken / been prescribed three lots of ssri medication the latest is cipramil - on evey occasion i had the same and similar side effects to those you are experiencing they usually last for about two weeks in my case - but do get less and less frequent during those two weeks. i have also been on prozac although it didnt suit me i have friends whos lives have changed dramaticaly for the good whilst taking it - keep smiling mate
xx david

blossom
03-11-04, 14:17
Blossom. I understand how you are feeling Vernon, when one changes to SSRI the first couple of weeks are a bit tough, but the side effects usually pass, it takes awhile to get used to the new med, and I was taken off Anafranil after 7 years, and put straight onto Seroxat, which I took for 3 years, then they were stopped abruptly. The depression I think is us keep worrying about how we feel on the new med, I am the same, our thoughts are our biggest enemy. I am on Cipralex and it took a few weeks to get into the system, I had extra anxiety, Panics anf felt down, but stick with it vern, you should feel better shortly.
I still worry about changing meds, and think most of us do.
How do we stop the worry, I have been told sxo many times, its that I am doing it to myself. best wishes from Blossomxx

Karen
03-11-04, 15:15
Hi Vernon

I had similar side effects when starting Cipralex. They had faded by the time I had been on them for 2 weeks.

Try to stick with it.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

vernon
03-11-04, 18:16
thanks all i feel a little better now usualy do later in the day, and i have just came back from shrink its such a long way from here and a long walk after parking, that builds me up too. thamks Vernon

seh1980
03-11-04, 19:39
Hi Vern,

It's normal to feel a bit down at first on SSRIs. I had the same thing with Cipralex. Give it a week or two and I'm sure you'll feel a lot better!! Take care.

Sarah :D

vernon
04-11-04, 11:49
a week now sarah and its hell. at times i think i cant take anymore to scared to do anything, besides the physical side effects. is this normal in the first week or 2?

Meg
04-11-04, 18:50
Hi Vernon,

Unfortunately yes it is normal for the first weeks. I remember those weeks being worse than the time that happened that made me decide to try out Prozac.

It does settle down .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

vernon
06-11-04, 12:25
thanks meg, thanks all

sal
06-11-04, 12:40
Hi Vernon

I know how hard it is, but honestly look ahead and think of the benefits you will reap once the side effects have lessened.

It will be a tough couple of weeks but we will all help you through it.

Love Sal xxxxx

Chantel70
11-06-08, 11:39
Hi!
Funnily enough, I too am about to come off Clomipramine, which was prescribed for OCD some years ago, and start on Prozac. I'm sort of a bit worried now. I have a great CPN, but very worried how the side effects may disrupt my life. I have to work to support myself and my son, as a lone parent.