PDA

View Full Version : Still dealing with my enlarged lymph nodes

mdel
03-06-17, 17:08
I've been dealing with lymph nodes in my neck for like 4-5 years and I'm still worried. They are all about 0.5mm-1.2cm. Doctors can't find anything. They performed an ultrasound, 2 x ray, and some blood tests.
I don't have other "serious" problems, but my neck feels umconfortable, like tense and I can't stop thinking something is wrong. I can move my neck perfectly but it feels heavy. I also have chronic allergies (mostly when I wake up I blow my nose everyday).
Should I ask a doctor to perform a biopsy? Are biopsies conclusive? Even if the results could become benign, are they going to tell which is the benign reason? And same question for malign.

Fishmanpa
03-06-17, 17:43
I already went to about 5 ENTs (1 of them oncologist, 2 hematologist, 1 infectologist and 1 allergist)...
touched my lymph nodes and said that they were normal and not to worry about it because ... they performed me full blood tests and infections test (like HIV, mononucleosis, etc..) and they also performed me X Ray of chest and head, and an ultrasound of soft tissues of neck.

After all tests they only found some 1 cm or less nodes in my neck and nothing else so the final results were (no adenopathy found, and normal tyroid glandule).

None of my ENT think my lymph nodes are malignant.

You cannot biopsy what isn't there to biopsy. You're calling your nodes swollen. No one else considers that to be the case. You do have an illness called anxiety. I'd much rather treat that than cancer.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
03-06-17, 18:32
Biopsies can be inconclusive which just means a doctor tries another testing method.

Lymph nodes swell for all sorts of reasons. It could be your chronic allergies? If you need to give your immune system a bit of a boost because of this, it's a possibility.

But as far as them being a problem, doctors know what to look out for. If they don't see a reason for further testing, it won't be needed.

NervUs
03-06-17, 19:23
No you should not ask for a biopsy.
Doctors did those other things b/c biopsying lymph nodes carries risks. Specifically, the concern is lymphedema, which can be a lifelong, troublesome, and even disfiguring condition where you get permanent swelling in the area where lymph nodes are removed.

The ultrasound would indicate whether or not you need a biopsy. If there was suspicion, then the benefit would outweigh the risk.

Since it has been so long, maybe you could ask your doctor if there is any indication you should get routine monitoring?

Otherwise, take it as a good sign you were not recommended for biopsy.