PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer worry. Doctor biopsies wrong area or Is it my anxiety?

janejetson
04-06-17, 05:50
I am so tired of dealing with this. Maybe someone else has experienced something similar? I have had a surgical breast biopsy years ago that came back benign. It was an extremely stressful situation for me. However I recently found a little hard lump in the other breast. I visited the same surgeon as the previous time, he referred me for a mammogram and ultrasound and both showed nothing. However my lump cannot be felt laying down only sitting up, so my doctor made me question the ultrasound results when he called the next day and asked me if she did the ultrasound in the right area... he then told me to follow up in 3 months. I felt uneasy, so I decided to have my film transferred and seek a second opinion from another surgeon. This surgeon did an ultrasound himself in the office while sitting up, he saw something tiny and decided to do a biopsy there guided by the ultrasound. (I Am not sure what the correct term is, it was a device with a needle and made snapping sounds). He marked the area with a marker and had a difficult time pin pointing it again after numbing me. After he was done he said it was very tiny and looked mostly like fatty tissue and I probably wouldnt even feel it again. This was two days ago, I'm sore, and my annoying little pea sized knot is still there. Is it possible that he biopsied the wrong area? I wonder now if I am being dilegent or crazy... I always wonder if it's an actual concern or my my anxiety at work.

yummymommy
05-06-17, 15:25
as somebody dealing with terribly anxiety related to my breast, i can totally relate.
but one thing i dont understand. a ultrasound will pickup anything suspicions, regardless if you point to that area or not. i had many ultrasounds that picked up things that werent pointed at- at all.
so if this was anything suspicious, the first ultrasound would have picked it up. also, im pretty sure that if lump can only be felt sitting, it is usually nothing, meaning a cancerous lump stays a lump in whichever position you are, it wouldnt change.
i have many many breast / or fatty tissue that when i lay down it evens out and i cant feel it. i would imagine its fine.

countrygirl
05-06-17, 21:11
As yummymommy says breast ultrasound is the best test for looking at nasty lumps. There are some very rare cancers that don't show on mammogram but always always show on ultrasound which is why they do both tests together.
Remember it is possible to have a lump that is just fatty tissue that can be felt but as its harmless would not show up as a suspicious lump on ultrasound.
You will be sore after the biopsy and hopefully you don't have to wait long for the results.

janejetson
06-06-17, 04:04
Thank you both for the assurance. I went for my results today and everything was benign but the doctor did say my bob like lump is different. He thinks since it didn't show up on ultrasound we are okay to just keep an eye on it and wait. I suppose after 2 surgeons opinions I just have to breath and deal with this. Ugh Anxiety! I really appreciate the comments this forum is so helpful.