PDA

View Full Version : Scared to take blood pressure

peter34uk
05-06-17, 07:57
Hi All,

A few months ago i had my blood pressure taken. Something like 160/109

I have a scheduled test today and a home monitor which ive been too stressed to use.

Bricking it that its gonna be even higher. Ive had a lot of muscle tension lately too. One of my keen worries has been blood pressure to to the point of being obsessed, but equally too scared to take a test and then end up at hospital with even higher results

Any advice??

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 ----------

Okay took my own and it reads 163/119

countrygirl
05-06-17, 11:22
Well I am the world champion of white coat syndrome with bp:D

My Dr came up with a plan for me 3 years ago - I bought my own bp moniter with upper arm cuff ( not a cheapy one) and he said for 6 weeks I had to take my bp in the morning and again early evening when I was at home. I had to take it 3 times with 2 minutes between readings.

The first few days my pulse was 130bpm just looking at the machine and my bp was always above normal but within 4 days the severe anxiety effects was wearing off as I got used to doing it. By end of a week I actually when calm have low blood pressure!

I wrote all my readings down and highlighted any above normal and went back to him. He laughted at the list as it went from many highlights in first week to none for last 3 weeks.

He advised me that 3 times a year for 2-3 weeks at a time I redo the test and hand it in to surgery for record. If I have any medical appt I take my bp for a week beforehand and take the readings with me to prove the reading they get is just white coat syndrome.

So expect really high readings for first few days. Do the twice a day - 3 times with 2 mins apart and if you persist your anxiety reaction will lesson and your readings will come down. Make sure you haven't eaten or drunk anything 30 mins before test and keep feet on floor and don't talk or move during test.

My Gp said high bp should only be diagnosed when its high all or most of the time either via a 24 hr bp test or over 2 weeks with home tests.

I still get high readings if anyone else takes my bp. If you pulse is high then you bp has to be high as well as the high pulse is due to anxiety and the anxiety hormones raise your bp.

You could cancel todays appt and remake it in a couple of weeks after you have got used to the bp machine and can take a list with you. If you feel that your bp is so high that it needs medical intervention then obviously don't cancel. The Dr should take into account your severe anxiety if you make it clear just how terrified you are.

Catherine S
05-06-17, 13:58
As somebody who was scared witless when my bp shot up to 180 over 110 for the first time in my life in my 50s I understand your fear. I've had a home monitor since then, the same as countrygirl with the arm cuff, and I agree with her advice on this completely.

My home readings can be as low as 138 over 78 but it averages out normally at around 145 over 80 which isn't bad for a 63 yr old and blood pressure increases naturally with age too. Since that first high reading, having my bp taken in the surgery guarantees it will now always be on the high side there because it makes me anxious there, so I always take my home readings with me for my doctor to compare it to.

ISB ☺

Brian_VA
08-06-17, 12:48
I had to monitor mine for 2 weeks at home. Take it at night. Sit comfortably in a chair or at the end of a couch. Have your arm resting at heart level, the arm of a couch works perfectly. Make sure both feet are flat on the floor. Sit quietly for about 10 min then start the test.

Fishmanpa
08-06-17, 13:15
I had to monitor mine for 2 weeks at home. Take it at night. Sit comfortably in a chair or at the end of a couch. Have your arm resting at heart level, the arm of a couch works perfectly. Make sure both feet are flat on the floor. Sit quietly for about 10 min then start the test.

Yep... I was told by my doctor to do the same thing. I had to do so after a med dosage change. If there's no reason to monitor your BP, don't engage in the self-checking behavior!

Positive thoughts