PDA

View Full Version : Lack of sleep, its uncomfortable but is it lethal ?

Spetz
05-06-17, 07:03
Hi,

I am a 37 year old male and I suffer from anxiety.

I am on Paxil 12.5 mg and Toficalm 50 mg and Etilaam 0.5 mg (to be taken when needed).

I have been taking the medicines since 31-June-2017.

Even though I take Etilaam with Paxil in the night post dinner, I don't get complete sleep, sometimes 5 hrs., sometimes 6 hrs.

I am a type of a guy for whom sleep is important and normally I require min 8 hrs.

If this continues, will it be harmful ? If I go to office with just 5 hrs of sleep, is there a chance I will simply collapse or have a heart attack.

Need some advise

Juggar
05-06-17, 08:14
You'll be totally fine man. Don't even give it a second thought.

5-6 hours is OK for a grown man. Might not feel great but there's no way you'll pass out or anything.

I was just like you, needed 7+ hour bare minimum. Went through a very tough anxiety/OCD driven insomnia bout and at one point hardly slept for 5 days. I came out of that just fine, was productive at work and everything.

Don't beat yourself up over it. youll feel much better not stressing over this.

Spetz
05-06-17, 09:57
So you were able to work in an office with only 2-3 hrs of sleep for about a week ?

braindead
05-06-17, 10:05
i sleep only 6 hours every night have done for years :shades:

beatroon
05-06-17, 13:44
My CBT therapist told me that provided you get 45 mins a night, you're not in any physical danger. So, we've all got a way to go before things get that bad!

poppadr3w
05-06-17, 14:02
I am somewhat the same way, although I generally attribute it to me not wanting to go to sleep rather than meds lol. I also have sleep apnea, which does not help, but I use my machine as much as I can.

Overall, I don't believe either of our habits are rather healthy. Sleep is important for overall health; it's when our bodies heal and our mind gets the rest it needs. Lethal? I am not a doctor, but I don't think so. Unhealthy? Yes.

Medication has prevented me from falling asleep in the past (start-up side effects). I would lay in bed for HOURS not being able to sleep. It sucked, tossing and turning endlessly, my mind filled with a constant flow of thoughts like an unstoppable river. A low dose of a benzo (I use Klonopin) was very beneficial for me during these times. You can also try Melatonin (start at 3mg and see how it makes you feel), which is an over the counter supplement.

Of course check with your doctor to make sure that this works for you.

braindead
05-06-17, 17:47
2 and a half mm of olanzapine a night , and its light out:shades:

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

My CBT therapist told me that provided you get 45 mins a night, you're not in any physical danger. So, we've all got a way to go before things get that bad!
45 minutes wow if you nip out for a fag and a wizz you may miss it:whistles:

TangoCharlie
06-06-17, 03:39
Felling scared, another night of just 5 hours of sleep.

Juggar
06-06-17, 08:01
Felling scared, another night of just 5 hours of sleep.

And what's wrong with that? Sure it's not ideal but some people genuinely don't need more than 5-6. Especially as we get older we require less sleep.

If you want to sleep longer maybe try melatonin or herbal remedy to help you into a deeper sleep.

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 ----------

So you were able to work in an office with only 2-3 hrs of sleep for about a week ?

Yes, arguably the most important work I've had to do. Had to receive intense training from an employee that was abruptly leaving. This contributed to the anxiety and fear of not sleeping. I felt washed out after a few days but honestly it wasn't that bad. I really do think the body compensates in a way and eventually will sort it out. That Friday night I slept like a rock for a solid 6 hours and felt great, best sleep I've ever had.

You just have to trust that your body will sort this sleeping thing out. I still have nights where I go an hour or 2 laying in bed and a 25 mg pill of Benadryl usually does the trick.