PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations a new symptom.

sarahann
05-06-17, 12:37
Hi all,
Looking for some advice really, just over 2 weeks ago out of nowhere I suddenly started getting palpitations. I've had a few in the past, but these were every few minutes. It got so bad I went to A&E they did an ECG and full physical and said my heart is as healthy as it could be, albeit a bit fast as I was in full panic mode. I spoke with my doctor who said it was just a blip in my anxiety, she gave me diazepam and increased my venlafaxine. I was drinking a lot of caffeine everyday, but I've dropped that down to just one cup a day now. However, I'm still having palpitations, not so often and not so powerful, but I don't know if I'm making these happen myself. I just wanted to know if these will go away eventually? I'm on holiday next week, and I can't get excited because in my mind I keep thinking about these palps all the time.

Melonpony
05-06-17, 16:22
This happened to me last week!
I was able to connect it to a more stressful week and possibly a new tea I started drinking (NO caffeine, but Valerian root, which does have palpitations as a possible side effect).
I stopped the tea, cut down the coffee I was gulping down bc of the stressful few days, and implemented some deep breathing when I thought of it, and hot baths.
The palpitations are gone for now. It's been a few days since I had one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sarahann
05-06-17, 17:58
Thank you for your reply. I have been quite stressed recently, but I haven't changed anything that I drink apart from lessening the amount of caffeine I drink. I'm drinking decaffeinated tea and coffee apart from my morning coffee, but I'm going to cut that out too see if it makes a difference. Thank you again. X

season
05-06-17, 20:03
I now have decaf coffee but don't know if any real help. The palpitations just come out of nowhere so no real pattern
I do get them if I have an issue to solve mainly in work , I work NHS so can get stressed. But today faced with a simple task and my chest just felt horrendous. Tight and heavy and I had to really calm myself. Took a Bach Rescue remedy which did help a little. Ended up in A&E this afternoon as just couldn't relax with chest symptoms. Bloods ecg chest xray all clear but still feel uptight. Our minds are so powerful so just try to change thinking. Good to chat on here and help one another.

sarahann
05-06-17, 23:15
I'm sorry your going through this too. Its so horrible isn't it. I do think our minds cause a lot of these symptoms. I think possibly distraction is best, I will go hours and then think to myself I haven't had a palp for ages and boom one happens. It definitely helps talking to people in the same situation. X

season
06-06-17, 18:47
Yes so similar you can go for some time and have nothing and out of nowhere they start. So then you try to decipher why have they started and this seems to just increase them. I have started on 10mg propranolol 3x daily which I really didn't want to do but they seem to have got such a hold on me I can't see what else to do. Tried tapes reading breathing and not winning. So annoyed that I can't stop this awful feeling and so it goes on just get more anxious. Good to talk x

TuesdayBlue
18-06-17, 02:39
Hey there,
I found that it helped to know that even though we may "think" our heart is going crazy, it might not actually be. Its called interoceptive awareness, the perception of your internal bodily signals, and actually we don't always get it right. A lot of us, especially anxiety sufferers, have imperfect interoceptive awareness. It might help you to not worry so much?
Best of luck --

Brian_VA
20-06-17, 21:58
I'm sorry your going through this too. Its so horrible isn't it. I do think our minds cause a lot of these symptoms. I think possibly distraction is best, I will go hours and then think to myself I haven't had a palp for ages and boom one happens. It definitely helps talking to people in the same situation. X
Wow, that happens to me with many symptoms