PDA

View Full Version : Throat issues?

hbug2416
05-06-17, 18:37
This has been coming and going the past couple weeks. Thought it may be related to acid reflux but not sure. Feels like there's a lump in my throat and I'm constantly clearing my throat now to help alleviate that feeling. The lump in throat feeling is still there, though. It's worse in the mornings and at night, and right after eating something. Thoughts?

poppadr3w
05-06-17, 19:01
The "lump in the throat" feeling is called Globus Hystericus (Check out the Wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globus_pharyngis)

I've had this scare before and thought it was, for sure, a tumor or something, especially since I like to indulge in cigarettes when drinking. I went to an ENT who scoped up my nose and down my throat. He said it was completely clear, despite the feeling be ever so present.

I've felt the feeling come at random during times of high anxiety as well, but in the aforementioned story it was pretty damn constant. Another time I got it I was in the midst of an anxiety-inducing event. I ended up taking Xanax to help with it, but I waited too long and the symptoms stayed, one of them being the "lump in the throat" feeling. No matter what I ate or drank, it'd stay there.

My suggestion would be to see an ENT. They can run the simple test to see if your throat is clear. This will give you some peace of mind.

Kay8010
05-06-17, 23:14
Globus 100%. Ive had it and still suffer with it, its a hurrendous condition wish I never started getting it. It does go though, but comes back with high anxiety or stress for me

hbug2416
07-06-17, 19:30
Thanks, I appreciate your comments!

Jordan85
07-06-17, 19:54
That's an odd coincidence, I just posted this - http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=199784 do you get any of those feelings too? I feel like we're describing the same thing.

hbug2416
09-06-17, 14:56
Pretty close, Jordan. And now my throat just feels dry? Like in the very back, upper part of my throat. I still find myself clearing my throat obsessively and it doesn't help. Got some Prilosec to take for a couple weeks to see if that helps. This is a new one for me so it's really freaking me out. Which is causing my heart to race. Ugh. What would cause all these throat sensations?

Jordan85
10-06-17, 09:46
I have no idea what to believe. I'm terrified of going to the doctor and going through scoping procedures as I don't think I could cope with the stress of it all. I tried Gaviscon the other day along with sitting upright, minding my posture and just trying to relax and it definitely made a difference. I felt much better to the point of thinking it was gone. Although the next day it was back in full effect.

It seems the more I check/aggravate it the worse it gets. Surely I can't have just been through months of straining it by checking? Or if it was something worse, surely it would have been very bad by now? I just don't know.

hbug2416
13-06-17, 23:12
I know exactly how you feel. Almost one full week of Flonase at night and Prilosec in the morning, and it still feels irritated. Somewhat better but not fully. I get that gross taste in my mouth when I cough and once I start coughing I can't stop. So strange.