PDA

View Full Version : Continued help needed, please respond

hopeful927
05-06-17, 20:01
I posted this about my sons leg two years ago. The lump has stayed relatively the same, but I am worrying about it again. Can I rule out cancer as he has had it for 2 years with little change? I want to stop this anxiety in its tracks.

Here is my original message
Hi there. So I found a pea sized lump on my sons leg. Instantly because of my health anxiety I freaked out. I drove around looking for a walk in clinic and couldn't find one so I actually went to our children's hospital. They have a fast track clinic for non emergencies. The doctor there said it was just a fatty deposit and not to worry. Not cancer. I felt a little better but still couldn't relax. I begged my husband to go to our pedis tricks. The next day and he did and the pediatrician again said it was nothing to worry about, that it was a calcification of maybe a hair follicle and that I shouldn't worry. Even though two doctors have said it was fine I am STILL worrying and it is frustrating. Anyone know how to help this health anxiety suffering mama?

Fishmanpa
05-06-17, 20:06
Hi there. So I found a pea sized lump on my sons leg. Instantly because of my health anxiety I freaked out. I drove around looking for a walk in clinic and couldn't find one so I actually went to our children's hospital. They have a fast track clinic for non emergencies. The doctor there said it was just a fatty deposit and not to worry. Not cancer. I felt a little better but still couldn't relax. I begged my husband to go to our pedis tricks. The next day and he did and the pediatrician again said it was nothing to worry about, that it was a calcification of maybe a hair follicle and that I shouldn't worry. Even though two doctors have said it was fine I am STILL worrying and it is frustrating. Anyone know how to help this health anxiety suffering mama?

I'll reiterate what I said two years ago and take the reassurance of two medical professionals and the fact it hasn't changed since then.

Positive thoughts

Rhiannon.
05-06-17, 20:09
Hello :)

I have a lump on my neck that the doctors believe is a calcified something-or-other. I've had it since I was a young child but it doesn't stop me worrying about it every now and again!

It's natural to be so anxious about lumps since its so ingrained in us that they are bad news. It becomes even harder not to worry when it is a lump that never goes away. But you are right. Two doctors have said it's fine and its not changed in two years. He's fine :)

This probably won't be the last time you worry about it but always remember it's always been there and hasn't changed <3

hopeful927
06-06-17, 17:45
So I went to the doctor with the hopes that she would measure it again, and it would be exactly the same size. She measured it, and before it was 1 cm by 1cm. Now it is 1.2 cm by 1.5cm after 2 years. She told me I should have no worries about cancer, and that it is 100% not cancer. She said that my son could have it removed if it bothers him, but because he is 9 she said he should be older to ensure that he can handle a local anesthetic. She said if it had been cancer it would have been causing more problems. I still can't stop worrying about it. She told me it was an epiltheloma, so I searched it up, and some of those can be cancerous. That sent my anxiety through the roof. I don't know what to do to help me relax about this. Please help me settle down.

Fishmanpa
06-06-17, 17:55
Please help me settle down.

"She told me I should have no worries about cancer, and that it is 100% not cancer."

Positive thoughts

hopeful927
07-06-17, 17:54
I know I should just listen to the doctor but that is the problem. With health anxiety my brain just doesn't trust what the doctors say. I always worry about it, and think that they could be wrong. That is what my problem is. Any advice? The thing that I cling to is that it has only grown a few milimeters in two years, so I should be able to relax that it isn't cancer right?
Any advice or comments is welcome.

Fishmanpa
07-06-17, 18:22
Any advice or comments is welcome.

Are you saying that your brain would trust strangers on an internet forum as opposed to a medical professional?

If that's the case, here you go! "You're fine. It's 100% NOT CANCER" :D

Positive thoughts

nhelen79
07-06-17, 19:06
I just want to give you a hug. I'm a mom, so I understand the anxiety x100 everytime it's related to our kid. I think everyone else is right though. 2 years is a long time. That lump is benign. He grows so whatever on his body will also grow right? like a mole getting bigger stretching as the body grow. Your doctor has confirmed 100%. We shall trust their medical advices

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

if you needs medical test, would an MRI of the lump help? it will give better picture of the composition without going through the biopsy and other painful procedures?

hopeful927
07-06-17, 20:20
Thanks for the virtual hug. Yes, the reason I post on here is because I have health anxiety. I am not normal in the way I process medical information, mostly because of the trauma of losing my mom, my closest friend to cancer in the most horrible way. I do get counselling, CBT and am even trying a new therapy called EMDR. I wouldn't post on this site if I dealt with things rationally. Isn't this the place to ask for help?
Thank you for your kind words and the hug. I know that us "moms" worry a lot about our kids. I will take comfort from your words telling me that 2 years is a long time, and that it is benign.

Thanks again,
hopeful

nhelen79
07-06-17, 21:36
Thanks for the virtual hug. Yes, the reason I post on here is because I have health anxiety. I am not normal in the way I process medical information, mostly because of the trauma of losing my mom, my closest friend to cancer in the most horrible way. I do get counselling, CBT and am even trying a new therapy called EMDR. I wouldn't post on this site if I dealt with things rationally. Isn't this the place to ask for help?
Thank you for your kind words and the hug. I know that us "moms" worry a lot about our kids. I will take comfort from your words telling me that 2 years is a long time, and that it is benign.

Thanks again,
hopeful

I'm sorry for all the experiences that you have been through. I'm just like you, full of health anxiety and trying to get rid of it, but it's not easy. This forum is very helpful with many logical and helpful members like Fishmanpa. I've been able to avoid Googling because this forum has offered me many reassurances. Before I had my daughter, i wasn't like this. It happened after her, i think stemmed from the fear of not being there for her when she grows up.

daisyflower
07-06-17, 22:02
Don't touch it, don't look at it, block it out.
I could understand your anxiety if a dr was worried (I had a dr one say he was concerned about a gland in my son's neck and he had to have a scan and I was an absolute mess) but you've had 2 doctors tell you it's nothing.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had a little pea sized lump in my leg since I was little (I can even see it's dark shadow through my skin). My mum mentioned in to the dr once and they couldn't care less. Cancer obviously doesn't present like that. It's still the same size and I'm 30 and don't worry about it all

Fishmanpa
08-06-17, 01:05
Just a little FYI.... I have this BB sized thing in the front of my neck on the same side I had the cancer. You can actually see it as it's that obvious! I asked my doctors and they said it's nothing. In fact, my radiation oncologist jokes that my surgeon left a souvenir in there (they're friends). If I can take their word and not give it a 2nd thought after what I've been through, you can find the inner strength to believe the doctors :)

Positive thoughts