PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to feel like your thoughts are out of your control?

Liquid
06-06-17, 00:19
I've been struggling with this for a couple months now.. It feels as though my thoughts are not always my own anymore.. My brain feels almost obsessed with thinking about my anxiety and other negative/scary thoughts.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do, whether I fight the thoughts or try to ignore them, or even do my best to accept them as anxiety. These thoughts are still constantly there, almost like this new entity of awareness inside my brain that is constantly working, despite what I may be distracted with.

The bottom line is that I don't feel as though I have control of my mind anymore and I feel helpless, as though I will be stuck this way forever. I just can't seem to stop thinking about my anxiety and this lasts 24/7 to varying degrees.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

MyNameIsTerry
06-06-17, 01:03
Yep. The mind seems a lot busier than before when you are anxious. Most likely due to the adrenaline and the glutamate causing thoughts to race, overthink, etc.

I've beaten my intrusive thoughts but I still see them more than I did before my anxiety. I notice them now. They don't bother me but they are clearer than before the anxiety.

When struggling with anxiety, a very busy mind is how it tends to be. Once recovered, that may change (someone fully recovered would have to comment on that) but I do believe things bother less & less as you move forwards in your recovery.

snowghost57
06-06-17, 05:54
I stay busy. I have also identified what makes my thoughts spiral. Example, I need to get busy as soon as I get up. I'm out of work, so I will get up, get on the lap top, look for work, get upset if I can't find anything I'm qualified for, then spiral, what am I going to do without any money? I need a new care, and the thoughts take off like a race horse. Bam 2:00 pm I'm upset, haven't taken a shower and forgot to eat. It takes work, I don't take medication. I also found out that I need to get out of the house at least once during the day.

You have to find your triggers and work on your thinking. If you don't the anxiety will just suck you in.

So, I now get up, make my bed, take care of my parrot, eat, take care of other critters, clean dishes. When I do look for a job, ok, I didn't find one today, its not the end of the world. I challenge my thoughts, identify my distorted thinking and make rational decisions.

Don't fight the thoughts are ignore them, face them and find realistic solutions. Sure I still have my bad days sometimes, however the more I challenge my thoughts, focus on what I'm doing right NOW, my anxious thoughts fade.

Anxiety is a parasite and will grow if we give into it. Fight back!