PDA

View Full Version : Arm weakness - C6 nerve?

CinnamonGirl*
06-06-17, 19:28
Hi All, I have been having right arm weakness for many years now. I first noticed it when I was holding a hairdryer to dry my hair and I could barely hold it above my head for more than a few seconds. I didn't really think much of it (even in later years when I developed HA). In the past couple of years, I have noticed it getting worse. I can't open bottles of bleach, jam jars, sometimes milk cartons. I struggle holding my daughter. Finally, I talked to the GP about it. She thinks it's possible I have a pinched C6 nerve in my neck. Has anyone ever heard of this? I also wake up with numbness in my right hand at night, even though I'd be sleeping on my other side. She did a couple of strength tests, and said that my left arm is definitely stronger than my right, even though I'm right handed. She wasn't overly concerned about MS, saying if so it would have progressed more by now, and definitely any motor neuron disease would have progressed by now. She has referred me for an x-ray, but did say that if nothing shows up on the x-ray, she'd be looking at referring me for an MRI. I had a brain MRI 4 years ago, when my HA was at it's peak, for constant headaches. It was all clear. The arm weakness was a pre-existing symptom at the time, but only in the early stages.

KK77
06-06-17, 19:45
Nerve problems in the cervical spine area can cause all manner of symptoms in limbs. It's a very common problem and can create symptoms from weakness to tingling to severe electric shock-like sensations. MRI can be useful but ultimately you'd need physiotherapy treatment. If the impingement is severe, they sometimes offer a steroid injection.

NancyW
07-06-17, 03:04
Been there..

I have degenerating disks at c5 and c6.

Actually had very good results with a chiropractor. He not only helped me get over the hump but taught me how to take care of my neck at home.

These neck issues are becoming more and more common due to our forward head posture. Much of it is job related.

CinnamonGirl*
09-06-17, 20:50
OK, thanks guys. The x-ray appointment is next week, so I guess I should know pretty soon what's going on. Or maybe further tests will be needed. We'll see.

CinnamonGirl*
02-07-17, 22:28
The x-ray came back clear. My GP was away, the locum doctor told me. Said he wouldn't be referring me for a MRI based on the results. I've to call back this week and speak to my GP.
To be honest, I was hoping the results were going to show something. I can deal with a compressed nerve more than I can deal with the thoughts of what the hell else could be wrong with me.

NancyW
03-07-17, 02:40
Cinnamongirl, I was lucky, mine showed on xray. My girl friend was not so lucky, it took an MRI to show the issues with her neck.she was also having problems with her arm but also her hand too.

CinnamonGirl*
03-07-17, 11:11
What treatment did you get for it? What treatment did your friend get once hers was diagnosed?
When my GP was talking about an MRI, I think she meant a brain MRI more so than the neck, to see if there's a neurological reason for the problems with my arm. She confirmed it is not a perceived weakness, there is a definite weakness there, numbness at night, occasionally pins & needles.
Phoning my GP today.

NancyW
03-07-17, 12:27
My treatment is chiropractic.
My friend had MRI of head and neck. She had neck surgery 1 year ago and is doing good.

cjw
03-07-17, 13:34
I had a 2 level disc replacement 6 weeks ago at C5/6 & C6/7. My experience was right arm pain and weakness plus pins and needles in thumb and forefinger of right hand. A pinched nerve is unlikely to show up on an x-ray but will definitely show up on an MRI. I had 6 weeks of physio but it did nothing for me. 6 weeks after my surgery and I'm pain free. I went back to work after 3 weeks. Many cases can be resolved by physio, my discs were too fat gone though. Stick with it. I'm sure you'll be fine.

CinnamonGirl*
13-07-17, 22:25
My symptoms seem to be getting worse in my arm. Getting pins and needles now, arm feels tired as if I've been over-working it. Starting to panic.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

I'm fearing a brain tumour now

.Poppy.
13-07-17, 23:44
You said you've experienced this for awhile. If it were a brain tumor, you'd have no doubt at this point.

I'd call your regular GP back when you can. It sounded like she had a better idea of how to best proceed in the situation, and maybe it's because she knows your history better.

CinnamonGirl*
14-07-17, 11:04
I called the GP surgery but she never returned my call. She only works part time now, so I've to wait until Monday to call her again. It really is freaking me out, especially as I know the symptoms are not perceived, she has confirmed it.

NancyW
14-07-17, 12:01
My friend that had the neck surgery was back and forth to the dr for 2 years before being properly diagnosed.

It was her neck.

CinnamonGirl*
14-07-17, 13:37
I'm having dull pain/heavy feeling down into my baby finger too

NancyW
14-07-17, 18:45
I'm having dull pain/heavy feeling down into my baby finger too

My chiropractor told me the symptoms follow the track of the nerve, once the nerve is irritated the muscles and tissues around it spasm.

CinnamonGirl*
14-07-17, 20:51
Calling first thing on Monday morning, if I don't crack up by then :scared15:

thebluerecluse
17-07-17, 16:27
Just found this post.I've been having similar problems with my right hand. Thankfully gp has sent me for MRI. Like you am hoping it shows a pinched nerve or something. Just remember anxiety will make you tense your arm unconsciously and make the symptoms worse, doesn't mean something is wrong.

CinnamonGirl*
17-07-17, 22:52
When is your MRI? I'm getting pain in my inside wrist and on the outside down into my baby finger too.

thebluerecluse
18-07-17, 00:17
Mine is on Thursday. Just woke up and I feel like I spent the night clenching my wrist again. Haven't had much pain, mainly feels weak and clumsy and I get like a static-y feeling between my wrist and my first three digits.