PDA

View Full Version : Pocd or pedophilia???

Mrpainter
06-06-17, 19:32
Hi I've been having these horrible thoughts and feelings, the like swelling but nothe arouseductive feeling in my genitals and like butterflies in my stomach, I get the butterflies when I think or see kids anywhere, I don't like the feeling and would never hurt any child, I have my own son every week but I am constantly thinking of suicide because I don't want to be a pedophile, the thought of hurting a child makes me feel very sick and anxious and depressed, I think in a way it's easier if I wasn't here anymore because it's too much to be thinking about, I feel like I'm sick but no one would understand if I talk about it, any help???

Homer47
06-06-17, 20:04
Hi I had this especially when my daughter was at baby then toddler stage. The feeling in your groun area every time you were near my kid or even looking at her. Really thought I was a peodo, the very reason I had them thoughts is because I hated them so much and my daughter was and still is my world. I still get the odd thoughts and images but that's all they are. Your mind is focused on your groun area almost obsessively. You are definitely not alone mate. This will pass just let it pass.

Mrpainter
06-06-17, 20:06
Thank you, I had it before about 6 and 8 years ago but not like this, what about the butterflies though? I'm worried that means I like it even though I know I don't, if that makes sense?

Homer47
06-06-17, 20:19
Ye I had exactly the butterflies it's all connected your mind is making you believe the groinal feeling and the butterflies is what makes you think your aroused. I really feel your pain mate. The reason your worried says it all. Your on here for a start.

Mrpainter
06-06-17, 20:23
It's doing me in, I've spoken to my son's mum about it and she understands that I'm not like that, I had a bad childhood and maybe it's from that but I wish it'd go so I can be a good dad, that's all I want

Homer47
06-06-17, 20:29
One thing is don't avoid being around your kid or kids. Just let the feelings come and go. Even if the anxiety is making you think of the worst things ever. Just stay and don't avoid. Will be hard to do but you will get through it. I did with that worry.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Have you gone to the doctors for cbt etc. That's what they will go through with is exposure. I once had a fear of changing my baby girls nappy. Invade of the worst happening if I lost control, which I never. I even changed her app once when I took her to one of my sessions many moons ago.

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

You are definitely not alone on this new mums or just mums get this as well.

KK77
06-06-17, 20:39
I would definitely recommend counselling for this. Feelings of guilt and shame usually stem back to deep-rooted childhood events. I don't think CBT would address the root causes but could still help in coping with the anxiety. I hope you can find a way forward and one day be free of these all-consuming thoughts.

Mrpainter
06-06-17, 20:43
I'm on a waiting list for therapy, one more month they say, been waiting 4 months, I still have my son every weekend, just find it hard as I want to be loving towards him but I don't want to feel anxious about it and get butterflies

KK77
06-06-17, 20:50
You have another thread re penile hypersensitivity so I think you should bear that in mind. It doesn't necessarily mean you are attracted to your son if you feel aroused by the physical contact. I can understand how this can cause anxiety though and hope you're not kept waiting for therapy much longer. You have taken a positive step forward.

Bee84
06-06-17, 21:12
I definitely want this situation dealt with as I was a victim of abuse as a child. If you don't already know it, here is a link for email support for that way of thinking also with a free phone number on it: https://www.stopitnow.org.uk

bottleblond
06-06-17, 21:42
One thing is don't avoid being around your kid or kids. Just let the feelings come and go. Even if the anxiety is making you think of the worst things ever. Just stay and don't avoid. Will be hard to do but you will get through it. I did with that worry.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Have you gone to the doctors for cbt etc. That's what they will go through with is exposure. I once had a fear of changing my baby girls nappy. Invade of the worst happening if I lost control, which I never. I even changed her app once when I took her to one of my sessions many moons ago.

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

You are definitely not alone on this new mums or just mums get this as well.

Sorry, Isn't MrPainter a dad and not a Mum?.

Mrpainter
06-06-17, 23:18
I wouldn't ever do anything to harm anyone, I think it's sick, that's why I'm so anxious and depressed because of it all, it's just very hard to deal with, I'm not aroused at all around kids or thinking about it

MyNameIsTerry
06-06-17, 23:30
And that's why it's OCD, MrPainter. Paedophiles enjoy & explore their thoughts. In OCD, like all intrusive thoughts, are ego dystonic (opposite of true character & beliefs) and it's very uncommon for an OCD sufferer to act on their thoughts (compulsions aren't about acting on them?

Sexual sensation is a well known issue in these cases and it's because we are talking about an area of the brain that responds to stimuli. Then your subconscious will look to your identity, deep beliefs, etc to find this is wrong and pass the conflicting "data" to the conscious mind to ask what to do. The fear cycle only sees negative responses (panic, anxiety, guilt, shame, etc) and ticks a box in the cycle to reinforce it's need to be there. This doesn't mean you are X or becoming X, it's just about building a new fear in a fear cycle.

You've been referred for CBT, which is the standard for OCD.

Read about this subject from qualified sources like OCD UK. I found Steve Seay's articles very useful in the US and I would encourage you to read them as they explain all this. It will also explain about your covert compulsions which reinforce it e.g. The avoidance mentioned earlier in the thread.

Mrpainter
06-06-17, 23:35
And I don't enjoy this at all, it's draining me, I'll kill myself if I think I'm like that

MyNameIsTerry
06-06-17, 23:42
The thing with intrusive thoughts is that if you let them upset you, they keep coming. If you learn not to react with negatives, you will start to see them fade and core belief changes occur.

Also work on reducing overall anxiety levels as these raising cause intrusive thoughts to spike. Reduce it and they won't be as intense or frequent.

bottleblond
06-06-17, 23:55
How can you let an unwilling sexual arousal around children(albeit not voluntary) not to upset you?.

Are you advising to ignore it and belittle the posters feelings?.

Mrpainter
06-06-17, 23:57
I try and not think about things, I wake up and it's the first thing in my head, saying I'm like that and I hate how I'm thinking about it all, how do I stop thinking like it?

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 00:01
I go with the advice by the professionals. They explain all this, which I am happy explaining to the OP.

As if I'm belittling the OP :doh: I'm an OCD sufferer myself who has had intrusive thoughts and have spoken to many on here to try to help them.

bottleblond
07-06-17, 00:03
I go with the advice by the professionals. They explain all this, which I am happy explaining to the OP.

As if I'm belittling the OP :doh: I'm an OCD sufferer myself who has had intrusive thoughts and have spoken to many on here to try to help them.

Absolutely no disrespect to the OP, but can I ask, do you have children Terry?.

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 00:09
I try and not think about things, I wake up and it's the first thing in my head, saying I'm like that and I hate how I'm thinking about it all, how do I stop thinking like it?

In CBT they will teach you how to change your reaction to it. This may mean various ways but learning to rationalise thoughts in a positive/neutral way is one way.

Acceptance based methods including Mindfulness are also really good at training you to observe your thoughts without judging them.

It's not easy but you can learn to do it. All people have intrusive thoughts but they don't react to them and this is where you will get back to.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Absolutely no disrespect to the OP, but can I ask, do you have children Terry?.

How is that relevant to how medical professionals treat intrusive thoughts? If you are trying to suggest I couldn't know how this feels, you can read my post history as I've spoken about my intrusive thoughts about my loved ones.

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 00:13
It's very upsetting because my son and I have a great bond and we're really close, the fact that I'm having the thoughts that I'm like that is really effecting things, I'd rather be dead than to be a pedophile so does that mean I'm definitely not one?

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 00:16
Cath,

Compulsions in OCD are not like that at all. My context was that you don't act out the thoughts, but you do compulsions aimed to reduce fear.

Studies show anyone can get intrusive thoughts. They can be diagnosed within depression or OCD. In OCD they only become OCD if they sufficiently impact on your life therefore you don't need to have OCD.

bottleblond
07-06-17, 00:16
The point is Terry, YOU are NOT a medical professional OR a parent, You just love to give your own opinion on things. It's so very easy to quote advice that you have not written yourself. Also if you don't have children then how on earth can you even begin to advise on this especially when actual parents are reading it. As I said before, it's no offence to the OP but I do find your advice extremely OCD positive which in fact, could have an adverse effect on the person posting.

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 00:20
I had a mental assessment when I first got ill with all of this about 6 years ago and they said I'm not a paedophile, I'm questioning because it's come back, I'm sure a paedo wouldn't stop being like it for 6 years and then start being one again??

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 00:24
MrPainter, have you read what OCD UK say?

https://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

Intrusive Thoughts - Intrusive thoughts, in the spectrum of OCD, are where a person generally suffers with obsessional thoughts that are repetitive, disturbing and often horrific and repugnant in nature. For example, thoughts of causing violent or sexual harm to loved ones.

Because the intrusive thoughts are repetitive and not voluntarily produced, they cause the sufferer extreme distress - the very idea that they are capable of having such thoughts in the first place can be horrifying. However, what we do know is that people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder are the least likely people to actually act on the thoughts, partly because they find them so repugnant and go to great lengths to avoid them and prevent them happening.

Intrusive thoughts can cover absolutely any subject, but the more common areas of OCD related concerns covers the following sub- categories:

Relationships.
Sexual Thoughts - Fear of:
Magical Thinking - believing that:
Religious - believing that:
Violent Thoughts - fear of:

ADDED THIS AS IT'S RELEVANT TO YOU:

Sexual Intrusive Thoughts - Obsessive thoughts of unintentionally causing inappropriate sexual harm (i.e. to children) unintentionally, or the constant questioning of one’s own sexuality are the main focuses for these obsessional doubts. Obsessional thoughts can include:

Fearing being a paedophile and being sexually attracted to children.
Fearing being sexually attracted to members of one's own family.
Fearing being attracted to members of the same sex (homosexual OCD) or for those who are gay fear of being attracted to members of the opposite sex.
Thoughts about touching a child inappropriately.
Intrusive sexual thoughts about God, saints or, religious figures.

The constant analysing and questioning of one’s own sexual preferences, or the thought of being attracted to a child, are perhaps two of the most mentally disturbing aspects of OCD and, because of the nature of the thoughts, many sufferers are reluctant to seek help from health professionals, fearing they may be labelled.
A person that experiences these types of intrusive thoughts will avoid public places, like shopping centres, in an attempt to avoid coming into close contact with children. They may also avoid spending time with younger members of the family. For a parent with this form of the illness they avoid bathing and hugging their own children which can lead to emotional distress for both children and parent

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

The point is Terry, YOU are NOT a medical professional OR a parent, You just love to give your own opinion on things. It's so very easy to quote advice that you have not written yourself. Also if you don't have children then how on earth can you even begin to advise on this especially when actual parents are reading it. As I said before, it's no offence to the OP but I do find your advice extremely OCD positive which in fact, could have an adverse effect on the person posting.

I'm quoting from OCD UK. I expect they understand OCD.

I have no interest in your dislike of me on this forum. This should be about helping the OP, not about your personal issue.

I've had intrusive thoughts about my loved ones. I'm not simply copy pasting information, I've been through violent intrusive thoughts.

bottleblond
07-06-17, 00:25
Terry

We are not in the least bit interested in your quotes or pasted advice. Anyone of us could have done that. That Child's play (for want of a better expression).

Why come on here at all. Professor Google could have told us that.

MyNameIsTerry
Hi I had this especially when my daughter was at baby then toddler stage. The feeling in your groun area every time you were near my kid or even looking at her. Really thought I was a peodo, the very reason I had them thoughts is because I hated them so much and my daughter was and still is my world. I still get the odd thoughts and images but that's all they are. Your mind is focused on your groun area almost obsessively. You are definitely not alone mate. This will pass just let it pass.

A parent giving the same advice as me.

Will they be disputed?

Mrpainter
Yeah I've read a bit about it, i think I'm looking for some reassurance, lately I've been avoiding kids anywhere, apart from my son, I was mentally and physically abased as a child and would never hurt anyone like that, it scares me that I've been thinking like it, I've sat and planned how to kill myself and to take my money out of my banks and give it all to my son's mum for him

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 00:27
Have you told your GP this?

Ignore the rest, it's forum BS.

bottleblond
07-06-17, 00:28
Well let a parent actually reply to this rather than word of mouth, shall we?.

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 00:31
Told them what

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

Well let a parent actually reply to this rather than word of mouth, shall we?.

The parent did reply to me..

bottleblond
07-06-17, 00:34
In fact, I will answer this myself because I am a parent. And as I have stated throughout this thread, No offence to the OP.

If someone said to me, I have butterfly's in my groin when I see kids but I would never ever touch a child or harm one. OK maybe he's completely innocent but what mother of father in their right mind would happily hand over their child?.

NONE!!

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Ok C'mon seriously honest parents. Answer this.

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 00:37
Well I've told my son's mum everything and she's known me ten years or more and knows me well, if she thought he was in any danger then she wouldn't let me have him

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:36 ----------

And the butterflies are in my stomach from being anxious not in my genitals

bottleblond
07-06-17, 00:42
That's not what I read earlier and as I have said all along, this is no offence to you. It's seriously not .I honestly wish you all the best in feeling better. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine and I am sure you will be. :hugs:

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 00:46
I do get groinal responses but not actually aroused, it happens when I try to think not for it to happen if that makes sense

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 00:55
Told them what

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

The parent did reply to me..

Have you told your GP that you have made plans to end your life? They would be concerned by this and it may mean you access your therapy quicker.

Ignore the ignorance about POCD on here. Unfortunately it happens. OCD UK have a forum you can join free too and it's more dedicated to issues like this.

---------- Post added at 00:55 ---------- Previous post was at 00:51 ----------

Well I've told my son's mum everything and she's known me ten years or more and knows me well, if she thought he was in any danger then she wouldn't let me have him

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:36 ----------

And the butterflies are in my stomach from being anxious not in my genitals

AND your GP would be expected to report potentially dangerously behaviour to Social Services. If your GP is happy with this, that matters a lot more than the odd user name on a forum on the internet.

This is why I said read about this stuff because it evokes the type of reaction you've seen here.

Despite the previous post about my experience being irrevelent, I had many intrusive thoughts of my own. The most prominent were about murdering my parents. My parents are my world, I would die for them any day of the week, so why would I have these thoughts? Am I becoming a violent murderer despite 35 years of never having them?

This is where learning about these thoughts shows you why they are not reflective of your true character.

bottleblond
07-06-17, 00:56
And your honesty is completely admirable. Do I think you would harm a child, NO! Would I take the risk. No, sorry I wouldn't. Even if I was 90% sure, I still wouldn't.

I respect you for your complete honesty and I do hope you can resolve this issue.

Lisa
x

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 01:02
You make a lot of sense, same with me if I've not been like that then why would I just suddenly be like it, I've told my GP about ending my life but not about the thoughts etc, like I said I had a mental assessment 6 years ago and told them everything

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

And your honesty is completely admirable. Do I think you would harm a child, NO! Would I take the risk. No, sorry I wouldn't. Even if I was 90% sure, I still wouldn't.

I respect you for your complete honesty and I do hope you can resolve this issue.

Lisa
x

Thanks for saying, my son's mum knows me very well which is why she knows what I'm going through and knows everything I went through as a child, I'd die before I lay my hands on a child

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 01:04
I can understand why you wouldn't, you've seen the reaction here. But I would say GP's are a lot more enlightened about such things, it's been a subject in national media on occasion and there is enough at their by charities to show it exists.

But please be honest with your therapist about this as they need to understand the nature of the thoughts to plan to deal with it.

I'm glad you've told your GP about your suicidal feelings. They can monitor you but they are trained in assessing your potential to harm yourself and if they believed you could, you would be seeing someone to assess you very quickly as they have a duty of care under the Mental Health Act.

It's good to hear you had an assessment back then and told them about it. The same applies in regards to safety, they would have determined any risk back so doesn't that also add evidence they don't believe there is a threat?

Honestly, look at the POCD threads on here. Parents, youth workers, teachers, etc. The same with the harm based OCD, like mine. All strong moral themes towards the people their thoughts are based on.

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 01:09
Thanks for your input, I think you understand it more than others, no offence to others, just it's hard to understand something if you've had no experience with it, i told my nan, grandad and uncle about it yesterday and my nan said you had that before and it went and that I have to be strong and know it's not really that it's just my mind because of things that's happened in the past, I need to focus on that like I did before and not thinking I'm like it, it can't be that if the thoughts/feelings went away for 6 years can it?

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 01:19
Cath,

Give it a rest. I tried to talk to the OP, then this happened. I've NOT caused threads to be closed, if Admin have chosen to close threads I suggest you ask them why since that''s their call. I was happy talking to the OP until certain people made it into another issue and the thread shows that. :doh:

I've been ignorant? :wall: If that's the case, better that then.

---------- Post added at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 ----------

Thanks for your input, I think you understand it more than others, no offence to others, just it's hard to understand something if you've had no experience with it, i told my nan, grandad and uncle about it yesterday and my nan said you had that before and it went and that I have to be strong and know it's not really that it's just my mind because of things that's happened in the past, I need to focus on that like I did before and not thinking I'm like it, it can't be that if the thoughts/feelings went away for 6 years can it?

That's really good that you've got people to talk to about this. It's a very emotive subject and anyone can be forgiven for not undestanding it (I wouldn't have known but I decided to read about it like I did with my own) given it hasn't had much media coverage compared to paedophilia. I think it's great your family are so enlightened about this and they will be the best support for you.

I can't see a paedophile losing their thoughts about this for 6 years and then a resurgence. I wouldn't know enough about that subject to say for sure, so your therapist can definately help you there, but it sounds implausible to when paedophilia is seen closer to a personality issue.

Is there a reason for this to come back? Have you been under a load of stress or has something happened or some trauma or thoughts about your past coming up?

The fact you have recovered before gives you good evidence you can do it again! If ther are things that helped you before, can you try them again?

Mrpainter
07-06-17, 01:26
I just took antidepressants and got on with it really, made sure I was busy and it went, it's a lot worse this time though, I've been off work for a while but my mum said my son's 8 and my little brother died when I was 8, may have something to do with it, before it happened when my son was 2 and I was 2 when my mum and dad broke up and the abuse started for me

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

Oh and please can people not argue on here, if you have some input about the subject that would be great, if not then don't argue about anything thanks

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-17, 01:29
I'm sorry to hear you lost your brother and the abuse you suffered. It's something to tell your therapist as it does sound like an obvious link to make about why things are escalating now but one for them to comment on really.

I was wondering whether you have felt a lot more stressed for whatever reason. If so, maybe using methods to try to reduce overall anxiety levels might help?

Antidepressants may be needed, maybe not, if you don't feel you can do it without then they can help to reduce anxiety enough to give you more control so you address things. See what your GP & therapist think about that.

Agreed. Nothing further from me outside of the thread topic.

Homer47
07-06-17, 05:16
To bottleblonde. I was simply meaning that mums also get this. Trying to help the guy he is not alone in this. Surely that was obvious.

Bee84
07-06-17, 09:26
It's mostly men though. I wouldn't say women are equally like that but they do have those thoughts of course which many people don't believe is even possible.

bottleblond
07-06-17, 11:00

I thought I'd better reply to you direct on here. Safest way I'd say. :wacko:

You seem like a lovely genuine man and like I said before, I do not for one second think you would harm ANY child let alone your own. My opinion was not meant to hurt of offend you as I have pointed out all through this thread.

Maybe my opinion differs because I am a woman and a mother but I do stand by my opinion.

I really wish you all the best and I'm sure you will resolve this issue with counselling.

Lisa:hugs:

Bee84
07-06-17, 11:02
I just took antidepressants and got on with it really, made sure I was busy and it went, it's a lot worse this time though, I've been off work for a while but my mum said my son's 8 and my little brother died when I was 8, may have something to do with it, before it happened when my son was 2 and I was 2 when my mum and dad broke up and the abuse started for me

I understand that the thoughts were better then and you are off work and now have time to think, so it's all coming back again. But please don't take antidepressants?? This needs to be looked at deeper than it was the first time. Do you feel a deep loss of personal power due to child abuse? Were you extremely lonely? What caused this? I wouldn't know and a half decent professional can help. Do NOT be ashamed or delay getting help for this!

Using busy-ness for distraction is all a cover that'll only work temporarily. You won't have properly eliminated the thoughts, they'll be waiting for you. This is very, very serious and you've never offended and you're not even sure if it's pedophillia so this is an important time to make a decision to get that help and defeat it once and for all.

Please don't seek out reassurance on here that it's not pedophillia when you're not even sure if it is. A lot of people on forums do that but they're fooling themselves and simply won't get anything out of posting.

Another thing is that people will more than likely tell you what you want to hear in hopes of making you feel better. That's just human nature I suppose. Some may have a very limited understanding and that's why people go to professionals. People always want to see the good in people, so commonly disbelieve heinousness exists in the world at large, but that's another thread topic altogether. Whatever happens, I want you so badly to recover from these thoughts. I wish you well

Elen
07-06-17, 11:25
You've had no end of threads closed down because you have a go at anyone who doesn't react the way you want them to. Cath

Just for clarity threads tend to be closed down when people spend more time fighting between themselves than dealing with the original post.

Catherine S
07-06-17, 13:51
Many of us know exactly how it works Elen, but thank you for the clarification. My posts have now been deleted.

KK77
07-06-17, 14:14
Just for clarity threads tend to be closed down when people spend more time fighting between themselves than dealing with the original post.

This usually happens when Terry comes along all guns blazing, trying to discredit what others have said because it doesn't fit his myriad theories/opinions.

No one was "ignorant" on this thread and the OP was treated with respect and understanding. Had he posted this type of contentious, divisive and highly emotive content on social media he would have been trolled and totally humiliated. So we do have respect and understanding here, despite our differing approaches and views.

Bee84
07-06-17, 14:28
This usually happens when Terry comes along all guns blazing, trying to discredit what others have said because it doesn't fit his myriad theories/opinions.

No one was "ignorant" on this thread and the OP was treated with respect and understanding. Had he posted this type of contentious, divisive and highly emotive content on social media he would have been trolled and totally humiliated. So we do have respect and understanding here, despite our differing approaches and views.

WOW that's harsh!! All of our opinions are needed and welcome. The OP stated that he wanted no arguments please. Maybe PM Terry instead so we can keep the thread live?

KK77
07-06-17, 14:34
I definitely want this situation dealt with as I was a victim of abuse as a child. If you don't already know it, here is a link for email support for that way of thinking also with a free phone number on it: https://www.stopitnow.org.uk

I thought the above was harsh... Why didn't you PM the OP?

Bee84
07-06-17, 15:08
I thought the above was harsh... Why didn't you PM the OP?

What??!!

KK77
07-06-17, 15:27
What??!!

Why the shock-horror? Are you suggesting you're allowed an opinion and I'm not? I simply advised you to do what you advised me to do. We don't want double standards here :lac:

Bee84
07-06-17, 15:31
Why the shock-horror? Are you suggesting you're allowed an opinion and I'm not? I simply advised you to do what you advised me to do. We don't want double standards here :lac:

What are you talking about? That's absolute nonsense!

Phuzella
07-06-17, 15:34
People seem to be bickering

KK77
07-06-17, 15:40
What are you talking about? That's absolute nonsense!

"Nonsense"? Why are you arguing now? You said we should PM each other - so if you want to speak further then you know what to do.

Homer47
07-06-17, 22:31
Who needs TV

Mrpainter
08-06-17, 11:54
No need to argue, not everyone agrees on everything, I will be seeking help from my GP and from therapy, I'm sure it's just pocd as I've been thinking a lot about it and I know it's wrong and I have issues from being a child that I need to discuss with the therapist, I appreciate people's replies, i get the thoughts that I'm like that when I'm anxious and I don't when I'm not anxious, when I'm anxious I go over it in my head constantly, when I'm not anxious I don't even think about anything

Bigboyuk
08-06-17, 12:20
Exactly and agree with your comment :) Some new members would be put off by this and not return which is sad. Glad you are seeking help on this nad hope you will let us all know how the therapy goes :) Cheers

Mrpainter
08-06-17, 12:25
Thanks mate, it's a horrible thing to be going through, my main goal in life is to be a good dad and make sure my son is happy and grows up to be a good man

Bigboyuk
08-06-17, 12:32
Thanks mate, it's a horrible thing to be going through, my main goal in life is to be a good dad and make sure my son is happy and grows up to be a good man NP mate :) I think any MH condition what ever it is can cause huge problems, I don't doubt you are already a good dad. And the fact you are seeking help is good too :) And it takes a lot of courage to admit such a sensitive subject on a open forum too so respect to you on that. You will be strong on this and get through it for sure. Cheers

Bee84
08-06-17, 12:51
NP mate :) I think any MH condition what ever it is can cause huge problems, I don't doubt you are already a good dad. And the fact you are seeking help is good too :) And it takes a lot of courage to admit such a sensitive subject on a open forum too so respect to you on that. You will be strong on this and get through it for sure. Cheers

Agreed 100% :)

Mrpainter
08-06-17, 13:16
Thank you, means a lot, it's hard to talk about things like this because some people will just judge you for the worst when it's not that, I hope i can get help to figure it out and feel better so I can have a better life

Bigboyuk
08-06-17, 13:40
Thank you, means a lot, it's hard to talk about things like this because some people will just judge you for the worst when it's not that, I hope i can get help to figure it out and feel better so I can have a better life You are welcome! Sure people will judge but it hasn't happened here to you and it wont, what wasn't good and doesn't do any one any favours is the thread bickering it's pointless and doesn't achieve anything. Iam sure you will figure it out with your therapy!! Is it possible to fast track it maybe, no harm in asking :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-17, 13:41
Exactly and agree with your comment :) Some new members would be put off by this and not return which is sad. Glad you are seeking help on this nad hope you will let us all know how the therapy goes :) Cheers

NP mate :) I think any MH condition what ever it is can cause huge problems, I don't doubt you are already a good dad. And the fact you are seeking help is good too :) And it takes a lot of courage to admit such a sensitive subject on a open forum too so respect to you on that. You will be strong on this and get through it for sure. Cheers

Completely agree.

It's good to hear you are seeing it as anxiety.

With the thoughts coming & going dependant on periods of anxiety, it gives you evidence that trying to reduce that anxiety alone will greatly help with this aside from tackling the thoughts. As a primary GAD sufferer, my OCD would always spike when the GAD was worse. I've spoken to loads of others who've said the same.

Mrpainter
08-06-17, 14:14
What's GAD? I just hate it because people like that are the worst kind of people and that's probably whats making me ill because I'm thinking if I was like that then I will have no life and I wouldn't be here

KK77
08-06-17, 14:22
What's GAD? I just hate it because people like that are the worst kind of people and that's probably whats making me ill because I'm thinking if I was like that then I will have no life and I wouldn't be here

Your general anxiety and stress levels will increase these POCD thoughts so finding ways to reduce overall stress is helpful.

Wish you all the best in your recovery and I appreciate the courage it takes to talk about this.

Bigboyuk
08-06-17, 15:04
Hi It stands for General Anxiety Disorder You are not alone on this and it can be effectively managed too :) So no need to add another extra worry to the list!

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-17, 15:57
It's like I mentioned earlier how overall anxiety levels intensify obsessive compulsive behaviours. So, if you are put under more stress, you may see these thoughts temporarily worsen and same is true of the opposite. This is what you noted about having days where it's bothering you less.

So, it doesn't have to be just about tackling thoughts alone, tackling overall levels of anxiety and countering stress triggers is beneficial too.

I had Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) first and it was the more prevalent of the two disorders. It underpins my OCD greatly. Through therapy I found my OCD wouldn't budge until I reduced my GAD. My GAD was an all day everyday higher level of anxiety with many triggers.

Mrpainter
08-06-17, 18:33
Ah yeah I understand now, thanks, I find myself anxious everyday but I think what do I have to be anxious about? And then I can't think of anything, I take my medication and that helps a bit but I'm still constantly thinking about being like that, I can't seem to escape it much