PDA

View Full Version : Twitches...AGAIN

Scotttt
07-06-17, 20:41
Hello,

So I've been struggling with anxiety related to twitches for about 9 months, but have been twitching longer. I'm on meds and seeing a therapist and I am in a much better place than I was. However I still can't accept 100% that they are benign. There's just a small nagging in my head that they are sinister.

I really don't know what to do. I want so badly just to move on with my life.

Any help is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

As soon as I start to make some progress with this damn anxiety I fall right back.

It's so disheartening

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

I'm having a full on anxiety relapse today. I've tried breathing meditation exercise and nothing is working.

This is so frustrating.

KK77
07-06-17, 21:59
Do the twitches occur in random muscles or specific areas? I know it's more common in anxiety sufferers but I have friends who don't have anxiety disorders and still get them from time to time. There are just so many causes and the "sinister" diseases make up just a few of them. Also remember that if it was something sinister you'd invariably get other worrying symptoms like loss of coordination or severe muscle weakness etc. Saying "Don't worry" is easy but under the circumstances I think it's appropriate.

Scotttt
07-06-17, 22:18
They are random, I have a lot in my calves but they can happen all over.

I know I shouldn't worry, but there is just this small voice in the back of my head.

Thanks for the help

FreakOutQueen
08-06-17, 02:54
I get twitches everywhere!!! In my legs, sides, feet, hands, eyes etc. you name it, I twitch there. You are not alone, my friend.

christy67
08-06-17, 17:10
I had a finger periodically move years ago. I was visible and disturbing. My doctor referred me to a neurologist that sent me in to a frenzy and months of testing trying to figure out the cause. I was convinced it was something nefarious and went into full force anxiety and started taking anti-anxiety meds. I would lay in bed a notice every twitch in my body. I swore I felt my leg vibrating once.

All my tests came back negative and the twitch went away when I stopped thinking about it. I think much was psychosomatic. If you are alive your body is twitching and moving which is a good thing! Try to exercise and get your mind outside of your body it may help!

Positive thoughts!

Jbaine
09-06-17, 02:56
In my most anxious state I had twitches all over my body. I have also had sensations of buzzing and vibrating. It started when I looked up another symptom I was having and when I became anxious I felt a twitch. I looked that up and then the twitches spread throughout like wildfire.
That was about 6 years ago. I dont really have so much twitching anymore but when I get really anxious I might feel a twitch here or there. I don't dwell on it anymore and it goes away. Hope this helps.

BazB44
09-06-17, 03:11
curious for all of you, do you get twitches only at rest? or can u also twitch during movements?

Jbaine
09-06-17, 04:25
I had twitches while being active and resting.

Danny71
09-06-17, 05:15
Hello,

So I've been struggling with anxiety related to twitches for about 9 months, but have been twitching longer. I'm on meds and seeing a therapist and I am in a much better place than I was. However I still can't accept 100% that they are benign. There's just a small nagging in my head that they are sinister.

I really don't know what to do. I want so badly just to move on with my life.

Any help is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

As soon as I start to make some progress with this damn anxiety I fall right back.

It's so disheartening

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

I'm having a full on anxiety relapse today. I've tried breathing meditation exercise and nothing is working.

This is so frustrating.

Hi Scott,

I have had random twitches all over for about a year and a half now. I am sure mine were triggered by anxiety. At first I had tingling, numbness, dizziness, and insomnia. My doctor gave me Paxil, and thats when the twitching started. 80% of the twitching was in my calves, but I also had it in my arms, eyelids, and upper legs. I was concerned that I had MS, so I went to see a neurologist who examined me. He told me that i had anxiety. After that my symptoms subsided, but I worked hard to exercise daily, practice mindful meditation, and I really cleaned up my diet. The other important thing I did was to stop googling my symptoms. Get off of the internet and go for a walk, do something to get your heart rate up - exercise is a fantastic anti anxiety activity.

Anyhow, it took a year and a half for me to get back to about 95% normal. The one thing I noticed was that since I started to experience physical symptoms of anxiety, even though I will feel good for several weeks, it is really easy to trigger relapses when I get anxious - and the twitching, dizziness, numbness start up again. Now I know how to manage these feelings better and the symptoms do not last as long.

In the end know that many people experience twitching and it is far more likely that your twitching is due to your anxiety than anything else.

Scotttt
09-06-17, 17:31
Thanks for all the replies.

Im doing better, still not 100% clear of the fear but I am getting there.

I think I am going to stay off the forum for a while and try my best to ignore the twitches

Thanks again.

axolotl
09-06-17, 22:45
Scott, when you say you can't imagine they're benign, what are you expecting?

If ALS that is so catastrophically unlikely it shouldn't even be on your radar, and twitching is a super-common anxiety symptom that is only a presenting ALS symptom in the fantasy version health anxiety types make up.

See this amazing thread here - http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071