PDA

View Full Version : Doctor attitudes

ManikPanik
08-06-17, 12:20
Hi all. I'm new here, but have been a long term sufferer of anxiety and depression. Over the past year, health anxiety has added itself to my collection of issues and has been a major problem for me in recent months. Despite how often I worry about my health, I tend not to go to the doctor unless I feel like I really need to, as I'm paranoid about making people feel like I've wasted their time over nothing.

I've just got back from the doctor an hour ago and I'm pretty upset after being made to feel like a crazy time-waster. I went because for about a week, I've had a strange downwards pressure in my pelvis (plus a few other symptoms) that a number of people told me sounds like a pelvic organ prolapse (something I have a family history of, plus I work a heavy job so it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility that something like that could have happened). I looked into it, saw it was relatively common and can be easy to treat, so didn't get particularly anxious. I just wanted the doctor to see if that's what it was so that I could deal with it.

But because I'd been in just over a few weeks ago with concerns in the same area (I was peeing blood and actually had a UTI, so again, it was a legitimate concern), the doctor went off on a rant at me before I'd even given her the full story. She refused to 'feed into my anxiety' by examining me, as I'd had a smear test in April which was fine, and told me to see another doctor if I wanted a second opinion. She was very dismissive and condescending ('What is it with you and that area? What are you hoping to find?'), and even asked me if something had happened in my past with another person hurting me (i.e. sexual abuse) to make me believe I had problems in that area!

It's really upset me and it's made me even more anxious about seeing doctors in future. Has anyone else had an experience like this before? Does anyone else feel like your doctor is too quick to put legitimate health concerns down to your anxiety?

ankietyjoe
08-06-17, 13:01
Complain about her. That is not an acceptable reaction.

akb
08-06-17, 13:32
Many doctors these days are in it for the money and arent very compassionate. Your treatment was inexcusable. Change doctor if you can.

Bigboyuk
08-06-17, 13:54
Far from it report this dr to the practice manager or PAL and change your dr it's bang out of order what you went through. Good luck

Mello
08-06-17, 14:22
The first time I went to my then GP about palpitations he actually laughed at me. Then he questioned the tightness of a necklace I was wearing. I then lived in fear of these palpitations for another 10 years before a much nicer dr explained it was due to anxiety. I don't get palpitations now I am scared of skin cancer, except for during a bad panic attack and then they are over quickly.
But back to your question, your dr was out of order and I agree with above posters, the patient liaison service is there for this so give them a ring.
If it helps, I was convinced I was prolapsing before I got pregnant with my now 5 year old. I felt heavy, started looking with mirrors at things I had never before seen (scary) and the more I thought about it the more it ached. I assume they would have mentioned if I had though, enough people had a look. ��
Lady parts react to anxiety too, does it feel better after a hot bath?
Good luck, keep breathing and try to relax.

Fishmanpa
08-06-17, 16:16
Allow me to be the "being real guy" here....

The behavior was wrong. The reason behind it isn't. We don't know how many times the OP has visited this doctor or for what. There's more to the story IMO. Doctors are human too. Obviously, she was having a bad day and acted unprofessionally but her points are valid. The OP was obviously checked over several times recently. It's also obvious the OP is suffering with anxiety. When I read that several people suggested a pelvic organ prolapse, it didn't sit right. I've read about a lot of symptoms and this one is one I never heard of. I have to assume that most people never have heard of this either so for several people to mention this? Sounds more like Dr. Google to me ;)

I agree finding another GP is in order. What also is in order is going in discussing anxiety so the GP is aware and can help or refer for help.

Positive thoughts

Hypomean
08-06-17, 16:36
Allow me to be the "being real guy" here....

The behavior was wrong. The reason behind it isn't. We don't know how many times the OP has visited this doctor or for what. There's more to the story IMO. Doctors are human too. Obviously, she was having a bad day and acted unprofessionally but her points are valid. The OP was obviously checked over several times recently. It's also obviously the OP is suffering with anxiety. When I read that several people suggested a pelvic organ prolapse, it didn't sit right. I've read about a lot of symptoms and this one is one I never heard of. I have to assume that most people never have heard of this either so for several people to mention this? Sounds more like Dr. Google to me ;)

I agree finding another GP is in order. What also is in order is going in discussing anxiety so the GP is aware and can help or refer for help.

Positive thoughts

Thought the same.

But

Before my anxiety days. I was going to the doctor to get treated for a urinary tract infection that wouldn't leave. I did everything like the doctor said took the antibiotic on the dot everyday. 3rd visit doctor goes on a rant, says I'm doing this for attention. I get out make an appointment with another doctor turns out my infection was severe that the prescription the a-hole doctor gave me (he gave me two rounds) was wrong. New doctor gave me right meds and I got better. She reported the doctor told me to do the same.
She could of recieved this treatment from someone from just being bad at their job. I personally can believe that.

She did mention that she had gone before for a legitimate reason.
But I have noticed that doctors get annoyed when someone mentions dr google for as to why they are visiting the doctors.

ManikPanik
08-06-17, 18:37
Thanks for your comments, guys.

Just an update: my mum was horrified about how I'd been spoken to and pretty much dragged me back to the doctors surgery. After being examined thoroughly by another doctor, I've been diagnosed with (yet another) UTI and prescribed antibiotics. I've never had a UTI feel like this before and I thought the fact that there were no anomalies in my urine (blood, protein, nitrates, etc) ruled it out, but the new doctor is pretty sure that's what it is. The receptionist told us that the doctor I'd seen this morning 'can be a little hard for people to take to', so I'm guessing that what I experienced wasn't an isolated incident.

Just to clarify, I'd been to see the previous doctor only four times (not including today) since March - once for a smear test, twice for a UTI (prescribed antibiotics both times), and once more for thrush after being advised by a pharmacist to see a doctor because treatment wasn't shifting it (was prescribed a course of anti-fungal medicine at the time). I consider all of these things legitimate reasons to visit the doctor, I don't feel four trips (mostly for different things in the same area of the body) is excessive, and the only time I was actually physically examined was at my smear test appointment (which was actually March, not April as I'd previously thought).

The only thing I can think of is that I was very anxious when I booked my smear test (I won't go into why here), so the receptionist booked me in with the doctor instead of the practice nurse as she thought having a doctor do it would be more reassuring for me. When I went to the appointment, the doctor didn't seem impressed that I'd been booked with her for it despite my explanation why. This was the first time I'd ever dealt with this doctor, so maybe that got us off on the wrong foot? I don't know.

And I didn't need 'Dr Google' - I'm actually 17 days 'sober' of wasting hours manically Googling symptoms. My mother, aunt and grandma have all had uterine prolapses (thus my mention of 'family history') and told me they thought my symptoms sounded like what they'd went through at the onset of theirs. I'd never felt anything like it before, so I took their word for it. I didn't actually suggest this as a potential diagnosis to the doctor either. I simply talked about how I'd been feeling, and didn't even get my symptoms fully relayed before she cut me off and made me feel like I was being stupid.

sdoxo
08-06-17, 18:42
Oh boy do I know where you're coming from!

My GP has the WORST bedside manner, its just terrible. I constantly feel like I am annoying her and she never seems to believe anything that I tell her. She talks to me like a child which really gets under my skin. If I'm being honest I dont think I've ever even seen the lady smile.

Idk how your insurance is, but with mine you have to apply for a new doctor and it can be a lengthy process. Regardless I do plan on switching asap! Hope you figure things out with yours, and I would definitely file a complaint!

Best of luck :winks:

Bigboyuk
08-06-17, 19:00
Guys these are sheer horror stories :eek: In the uk 7 years training and it's still not right, even for us (: I have a horror story too and was told to use Vaseline and that would cure the problem, then another dr gave me cream that did help then months later I demanded a swab and the results came back I had a bacterial problem and in a lot of pain, and given a course of antibiotics it's now getting better it's a pity I had to demand a swab :huh: It sucks big time folks Cheers

nhelen79
08-06-17, 19:07
i would find a different doctor. She doesn't seem to have sympathy (but we can't expect her). It's hard to find one that understand our health anxiety and willing to work with us.