PDA

View Full Version : Fear of losing control in public places

Panda22
08-06-17, 13:50
I really struggle with this :weep: When i’m out in a shopping centre for example i feel nervous the whole time. When i feel anxiety feelings i start worrying i will suddenly lose control and go crazy. Or that i will forget who i am. I worry my brain can’t handle the anxiety and will suddenly snap to the point of no return. It’s a horrible feeling. And then when i’m back home i feel completely normal again…

I’m just on edge with a nervous feeling in my stomach all the time when i’m away from home. I monitor myself to see if i’m not doing, saying or thinking anything out of the ordinary. Ofcourse i never have but it’s how i check if i’m still sane and am still functioning normally. I really fear suddenly going crazy and i always ask myself what if i’m going crazy? I used to worry about my heart and breathing but now it’s just this, fear of losing control/going crazy that i’ve had for so many years but it has never happened..

I've been to a psychologist many times and they all say there's nothing wrong with me and i won't 'go crazy' and that it's just anxiety. But what if they're wrong and have overlooked something? I just wish i knew for sure i won't lose control and go crazy. I've had this fear for over 5 years and nothing bad has ever happened. But i always feel like this time could be different and something really bad could happen this time

Sorry for the long post i just need some help or reassurance, i'm going on holiday in 3 weeks and don't want to be thinking like this all the time..

Crispy
08-06-17, 14:26
Hi,

I am new to this forum so not sure can give the best advice but wanted to let you know that you qre certainly not alone with this problem when being among crowds of people. A trip to the shopping centre leaves me dizzy, exhausted and relieved just to make it home in one piece ! This is of course down to anxiety, have you mentioned to your doctor who may be able to prescribe something to help ? It's unfortuate that so many people suffer from anxiety which I think is in part to the fast and demanding culture we now live in - my guess is you are also a sensitive person in general ?

In short you are not crazy and not alone in feeling like this, hope you can enjoy your holiday - a break may actually be great for you :)

Panda22
08-06-17, 15:03
Yes the dizziness too...and then very relieved to be back home and have 'survived' yet again... I was prescribed Escitalopram which i've been taking for just a week now at 5mg, but thinking of upping it to 10mg.

When i'm out anxiety just takes over and i can't enjoy anything until i'm back home and able to relax

Panda22
10-06-17, 15:36
Anyone else have this too? What did you do to overcome or cope with it?