PDA

View Full Version : ibs esophageal spasms

woolfmoon
08-06-17, 14:59
I am new to this website, but really found it when I needed it! I have had IBS since childhood; over the past several years, it has been under pretty good control. I have had alternating diarrhea and constipation, and have been using Robinul (glycopyrrolate) for the spasms, and Imodium if really bad, but I don't like to use it or else I'll get constipated! (LOL). I take Citrucel every day and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I also take Activia mostly every day, but some kind of yogurt everyday. I have also been told I have motility problems with my upper GI tract (had upper GI series done), and separated rectus muscles in my abdomen (by CT scan). That CT was done last year, and showed no signs of any tumors anywhere in the abdomen. I also have fibromyalgia (+25 yrs.), anxiety and depression. I only take OTC's for the fibro, and take Lexapro for the a/d. I take daily Prilosec for acid reflux, also.
Anyway, after all of this background, I'm hoping for some advice. I'm hoping not to have to go through more testing for financial reasons. I've been paying huge medical bills after treatment for benign brain tumors, for which I am now also on human growth hormone treatment (https://hgh.md/), and dread the thought of scans or scopes for these GI symptoms that will put me into even more debt. I have had pain in the pit of my stomach that feels like hunger pains, coming and going, for years. Over the last couple of months, I have had some episodes that start off with feeling like there is something in my upper esophagus when I swallow. That progresses to a painful, constricted feeling down the esophagus, into the right ribcage, sometimes into the back below the ribcage, sometimes up into the jaw. I cannot swallow anything when I have this, and feel like I have to burp but can't. The episodes seem to come after eating when I feel hungry. My mother has similar symptoms but never got it diagnosed. The times that I got these episodes, I was on NSAIDS for fibro/osteoarthritis pain, and I seemed to get better when I stopped them. I also did feel helped by antacids, Tylenol and another Robinul ( I would take all of them).
Also, my stools have been a medium to light orange color lately when I've had those pain episodes. I have had a lot of gas also, and feel like I get cramps when I eat.
Does this all sound like IBS, or can it be esophageal spasms? I looked up gallbladder problems, but it doesn't seem to be that. Sorry for such a book that I wrote, but I hope at least there are others who have had similar problems. Thanks so much!!!

Hypomean
08-06-17, 16:45
Esophageal spasms are painful. And can happen with NSAIDs since it irritates your stomach.
Knowing your history it's best you take this with your doctor.