PDA

View Full Version : Need advice dealing with fear of carbon monoxide poisoning?

J0HN_TIT0R
08-06-17, 16:42
Hey all,

I'm currently struggling with anxiety about carbon monoxide poisoning, and I could use some advice on what to do. So this is a fear that I've had in the past, but I haven't worried about it in some time. The reason I'm worried now is because I've recently been hanging out with a new friend group, and they always hang out at this one persons house with a fire place that they use frequently. The first couple of times I went over it was colder out, and the fireplace was on, but I wasn't even worrying about it, and didn't have any reason to worry about carbon monoxide. However, something clicked one day, and I began to worry that maybe the fire place was releasing carbon monoxide into the house.

With this new worry, the past two times I visited, I began to develop a tension headache after some time in the house (a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning). Part of me thinks it could be stress or a psychosomatic symptom, but the other part of me worries that it's actually carbon monoxide poisoning. More importantly, the fireplace hasn't even been on at the time, I just worry that carbon monoxide may be built up by previous fires because they always seem to keep their windows shut. Lastly, I saw that they do have a carbon monoxode detector, but googling the brand, it seems old, and I worry it doesn't even work anymore.

So I'm not sure what to do. I can't bring this up to my friend, as We've just started hanging out, and its not a normal question. Is this all an overreaction on my part, and could my symptoms be psychosomatic?

Thanks for any help

Bigboyuk
08-06-17, 20:32
Hi John You mention a fire place is it a Gas fire. wood burner or coal fire? No I do think it's strange question after all Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer you can't smell it either
If it's a coal fire or woodburner this should be swept every 12 months,and aif it's a gas fire this should be serviced annually and the chimney swept. Is the house rented if it is maybe the landlord could a get a new detector? You have a right to feel safe in some one else's home even by having a joke about it (even though you are worried about it) Cant really say more until we know more about the fire it's self and the detector which may not even have batteries in it!!