PDA

View Full Version : A Newcomer from Canada

Rick(amateur)
09-06-17, 08:52
Hi everyone! I'm Rick and I'm new here. I'm 25, accomplished nothing in life and currently living with parents. Basically, I feel and am a failure which is the root of my anxiety. Still fighting it the best I can but there are moments, like right this moment, when everything negative sort of overwhelm me making sleep hard to come by. I hope to find answers to my problems and make new friends in the process.

venusbluejeans
09-06-17, 09:02
Hiya Rick(amateur) and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Hollow
09-06-17, 09:56
:welcome: aboard Rick! In a similar situation as yourself, good to hear that you're fighting back.

beatroon
09-06-17, 15:54
Welcome aboard, Rick. Nice to meet you. I'm sure lots of other people feel a similar way to you. I bet lots of people with anxiety and depression feel that they have not accomplished anything, but when you look closely, you discover that they have done a lot!

A major CBT therapist told a good story in his TED talk about counselling a lady who was in her mid-sixties and came to him saying 'I've done nothing with my life.' He asked whether that was really true, and asked her to write a list of her accomplishments for the appointment next week. She came back crying (but good crying!) and saying that she had neglected to mention that she had rescued herself and her two children from Nazi-occupied Germany.

The story just gives you an idea of how bad of a critic we can be of our own selves, and what big blind spots we get about our own achievements!

Rick(amateur)
09-06-17, 17:46
Hiya Rick(amateur) and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Thanks! I'm still learning my way around the forum so I'll get to the articles when I find them. I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay here. :)

:welcome: aboard Rick! In a similar situation as yourself, good to hear that you're fighting back.

Thanks! I hope you are faring better than me atm. I know I'll keep fighting until I win. :)

Welcome aboard, Rick. Nice to meet you. I'm sure lots of other people feel a similar way to you. I bet lots of people with anxiety and depression feel that they have not accomplished anything, but when you look closely, you discover that they have done a lot!

A major CBT therapist told a good story in his TED talk about counselling a lady who was in her mid-sixties and came to him saying 'I've done nothing with my life.' He asked whether that was really true, and asked her to write a list of her accomplishments for the appointment next week. She came back crying (but good crying!) and saying that she had neglected to mention that she had rescued herself and her two children from Nazi-occupied Germany.

The story just gives you an idea of how bad of a critic we can be of our own selves, and what big blind spots we get about our own achievements!

Thanks! I know for a fact I have yet to accomplish anything and there's no need to sugar coat it. However, I do believe that I will find success one day. It's just a hard grind atm. I totally understand us being our biggest critic in life but the facts support all of that. To cure my anxiety, I need accomplishments to fight it. Thanks for trying and I will keep working towards a better future! :)

snowghost57
09-06-17, 17:55
:welcome: We have all been there Rick. It takes work and persistence to beat anxiety. You don't need accomplishments to fight it, just the right mental tools and we can show you how here. Look at the posts and learn how to slay the evil beast. You can pm as well.

Rick(amateur)
11-06-17, 00:47
:welcome: We have all been there Rick. It takes work and persistence to beat anxiety. You don't need accomplishments to fight it, just the right mental tools and we can show you how here. Look at the posts and learn how to slay the evil beast. You can pm as well.

Thanks! I think I do need accomplishments because I'll be tackling the core of my anxiety. I will be checking out the resources here but I won't stop chasing my dreams. :)

John53546
15-06-17, 03:34
Welcome to the forum

Rick(amateur)
15-06-17, 04:08
Welcome to the forum

Thanks! :)

MadWomanintheAttik
15-06-17, 18:11
Hi there and welcome! I have found in just the day or two of being here that helping others helps my anxiety. Kudos on being honest to yourself too, I've hid my panic attacks very well since i was 19 (I'm now 33). It helps knowing that other people are going through the same.

Rick(amateur)
15-06-17, 19:19
Hi there and welcome! I have found in just the day or two of being here that helping others helps my anxiety. Kudos on being honest to yourself too, I've hid my panic attacks very well since i was 19 (I'm now 33). It helps knowing that other people are going through the same.

Hi there! Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I guess I just got tired of running all the time so I'm just tackling it head on. Never a good feeling dealing with anxiety and related issues and I finally told myself I'm going to do something about it. :)

Pik
24-06-17, 08:17
Hi Rick - Welcome to the forum. I really like your very positive attitude towards dealing with your own problems and your kind and helpful apporach when commenting on the problems others are having. You seem very wise for your young age. I hope finding this forum proves helpful to you. I'm a newbie too (to the forum, not to anxiety!). I've yet to post an introduction but will do so sometime soon!