PDA

View Full Version : Can't shake anxiety

Worrygirl32
09-06-17, 15:55
So I had posted previously that I went to the ER this past week because I had an episode of supraventricular tachycardia. First time in my life this has happened. I met up with the cardiologist two days later and he seemed pretty confident that this wouldn't happen again. He scheduled me in two weeks for a full cardio work up. But I have been having major anxiety since then. I feel like even though what I went through is traumatizing I have no reason to worry at this moment in time. But my anxiety has really gotten the best of me. I'm almost dwelling on what has happened and it is making me slightly depressed. I haven't really been able to eat in 4 days... can anyone offer any encouraging words

beatroon
09-06-17, 16:02
Hello there,

Sorry to hear about the tachycardia and the resulting anxiety.

I think it is understandable to feel some worry, because it is a worrying event when something health-related happens. So, don't beat yourself up about how you feel. But, in good news, the cardiologist knows what he's doing, and has told you that there is no need to feel anxious for the future. You will have your check up to be absolutely sure and then you will just move on with your life.

Of course it is very hard with anxiety not to dwell on difficult or challenging events. Worrying is the brain's (maladaptive) way of trying to protect us from threats, but it's counterproductive to be so alert all the time. So what you need is some coping strategies to calm the anxiety down. Are you doing all the key things - in bed by 11pm, trying to have small meals of things you fancy, lots of distraction and leisure time, the support of family and friends?

Worrygirl32
10-06-17, 03:42
I've been trying to eat and distract myself but I'm having a hard time. I go through mood swings where I'm fine, then I'll get sad and start to feel sorry for myself. And I just can't shake the feeling. I think I have looked at every single webpage on google trying to get more information on what SVT is and what causes it. It's not healthy and I know it's not but for some reason I can't stop. I have an iwatch and now I'm starting to consistently monitor my heart rate. And every little thing that I feel freaks me out and I wonder if I'm having skipped beats. It's become obsessive to be honest and I wish it hadn't. But of course it's easier said than done.

---------- Post added at 02:42 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

You guys this is significantly affecting my life. I want to cry