PDA

View Full Version : So I have just had to order a mouth guard....

kellykelly
11-06-17, 20:23
Has anyone else suffered from teeth grinding when on cit? I do notice clenching my jaw during the day and can obviously try and stop it, but my boyfriend has been telling me that I am grinding my teeth when I am asleep - he did say he wasn't even aware someone could make such noise grinding!

Has anyone else experienced this? I am quite fond of my teeth and want to keep them! Iv just ordered a mouth guard from Amazon to come tomorrow so will hopefully still have my teeth tomorrow!

Elizabeth Fry
11-06-17, 22:42
I grind my teeth and have a mouth guard from my dentist because they are fitted to your teeth and gum size. Mine isn't the result of medication though but stress and anxiety.

panic_down_under
11-06-17, 22:57
Has anyone else suffered from teeth grinding when on cit?

Yes, it is a potential side-effect of most antidepressants, as as Elizabeth has said, anxiety/stress can cause it too. It tends to be worse when first taking meds.

If it continues consider changing to escitalopram (Lexapro). While the two meds share the same active drug (citalopram also contains a mostly inactive isomer of it), they can produce different side-effects. I can't guarantee it will stop the grinding, but there is a fair chance it will. An overnight switch should be seamless.