PDA

View Full Version : Severe Health Anxiety, Help Urgently Needed

lunar.lotusblossom
11-06-17, 22:52
I feel somewhat embarrassed posting on here, as my health anxiety is something I have largely kept to myself, but it has gotten to a point where I seriously need help and this forum seemed like a good place to start.

I am an (ostensibly) healthy 21-year-old university student. I have a history of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, OCD, and anorexia, but for the past 4-5 years, my symptoms have been well under control. That is, until about 9-10 months ago, when I transformed from a happy, energetic young woman into an anxious, reclusive mess, seemingly out of the blue. Over the course of these months, I have experienced chest pain (which, on one occasion, sent me to the emergency room where a chest x-ray and an EKG came up totally normal); tingling/pins and needles in my face, arms, and legs; neck tension; feelings of being "off balance;" visual "snow" and floaters; heavy feelings of pressure in my head; intermittent joint pain; alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea; hot flashes; brain fog; abdominal cramping; perceived muscle weakness (though, it should be noted, I can still exercise and lift relatively heavy things); difficulty swallowing (rarely when actually swallowing food or beverage, mainly just when swallowing saliva); random dull pains all over my body; extreme dry mouth; sleep paralysis; and, most recently, random, almost imperceptible muscle jerks. I have also experienced some significant anxiety related to my studies over the course of the past several months, though interestingly, during these periods, the aforementioned physical sensations seemed to become less noticeable.

The most unnerving thing is that none of these physical symptoms are outwardly visible at all, so everyone, even my doctors, are convinced that they are all in my head. While I accept that the symptoms may be anxiety-related, I am certain that the sensations are real.

When I went to the doctor less than a month ago, a complete blood panel came back totally normal, as did standard neurological tests. I haven't gotten any scans yet, as my doctor is reluctant to send me, as she chalks the symptoms up to anxiety. She's been my doctor since I was four years old, and usually I trust her, but I am finding it incredibly difficult to believe that there is nothing wrong with me, given that I feel so miserable. The most frustrating thing about it is that when one set of symptoms disappears, another crops up. Over these past several months, at various times, Google has convinced me that I have heart disease, stroke, MS, a brain tumor, ALS, colon cancer, salivary gland cancer...you name it, I've "had" it. I feel as if I'm going completely mad. Every day, I either feel as if either my death or complete mental breakdown is imminent.

So, I suppose I'm just asking for advice and reassurance. What has helped you? How can I get through this? I just want to get back to feeling like myself.

NOTE: I am a vegetarian, eat very healthily, exercise for an hour a day, and drink very little, but I have been smoking 5-8 cigarettes a day for the last 2 years (ironically, to cope with anxiety). I know that smoking is terrible for one's health, and I sincerely plan to quit, but could this level and duration of smoking have already caused severe health problems?

Elizabeth Fry
11-06-17, 23:38
Hi, I've had 99.9% of all your symptoms and been driven mad by getting one reassured it's ok and then that disappears and another starts. It's the nature of health anxiety.

The most important thing for me is to stay away from Google. I hardly ever go on it now but today I did and would you believe it there with my symptoms is a nasty illness! I feel much better just going to see a GP who understands.

Perhaps you should find a more understanding and compassionate GP - less undermining and more supportive?

I try meditation etc but am still struggling. I feel for you. There are some excellent posts on here on what you can do and articles to read - if you'd find them helpful.x

lunar.lotusblossom
11-06-17, 23:44
Thank you so much for the advice! If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you mind posting links to some of those helpful posts and articles? As I'm sure you understand, I need all the reassurance I can get right now :)

Elizabeth Fry
12-06-17, 00:03
I do understand. I am not very good at managing this site....

Look under articles in the introduction to the website. On there you will find health anxiety and how to Manage it and also success stories from people who have overcome their symptoms or HA.

If you key in under 'search' "success stories" it will likely bring up the success stories which are in addition to the ones above.

Good luck:)

---------- Post added 12-06-17 at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was 11-06-17 at 23:57 ----------

Ps go onto forum there's a page with specific health concerns people have posted about - if you scroll down there's a section on success stories and other stuff you might find helpful.

Thinking of you.

Cece6
14-06-17, 15:36
Hey lunar.

I had to reply because, due to HA, I have every single one of these symptoms and more. I have been struggling with HA for 3 years now, possibly longer, and I have only just begun starting to accept that these are all 'side effects' of anxiety, or being stuck in an anxiety loop - just as the Doc told me.

For so long I couldn't possibly get my head around the fact that anxiety could be causing all of these bizarre things, it has to be something physical and medical, right? No! I read a great book about this, can we post book titles here?

I kept telling myself that I had been anxious before and never experienced anything like this, so it must be some disease or condition. The Dr told me that anxiety symptoms can morph, change and be something completely new as the anxiety goes on. Similar to how some people can have anxiety for a long time but only start experiencing actual panic attacks years into it.

I can tell you this, you are not alone, don't feel isolated, please, talk! Don't google. This advice is paramount. It's like an addiction. I have been doing okay for a few days, googled this morning, guess what happened? 🙄 Type symptoms into google and it will almost always throw up the worst case scenarios.

The book is by Joshua Fletcher and is called:
Anxiety
Panicking about Panic.

It's well worth it.

Be well!

Josh1234
14-06-17, 15:41
It's time to see a psychologist and perhaps consider medication. 10 months is a long time to suffer, especially when you've had nearly every test under the sun come back clean. What possible reassurance could we offer that those didnt? This is anxiety, 110%

lunar.lotusblossom
20-06-17, 03:38
Thank you all so much. Your support has been more helpful than you know. Don't know what I'd do if it weren't for this forum!

MrsBritty
04-07-17, 04:04
I have had every single one of these symptoms and then some for two years. I struggle with them all. I'm currently struggling with them, so I can't necessarily give advice for how to recover as I am still working on it myself, but I will tell you I am still alive after two years of these symptoms and I am lucky enough not to have pushed away all of the people I love. Best of luck to you.

nervousnelly52
04-07-17, 04:50
Are you me?! Have you ever heard of something called benign fasciculation syndrome? It's oddly very intimately tied to health anxiety and a huge number of people who get it are in a medical field perhaps for that exact same reason.

ScotlandTheBrave
10-07-17, 15:41
I'm the exact same! I'm 25 and in shape yet i am constantly thinking I have some thing wrong with me. The physical symptoms are real and it's really hard to accept it's all down to anxiety! Any tips would be appreciated as it's really hard to ignore yet the Doctors are telling me that's what I've to do.

TattooArtist
10-07-17, 18:06
I had the exact same symptoms in my twenties. It is anxiety. Once I started working on changing my thought patterns, using cognitive behavioral techniques, and distracting myself from the obsessive thoughts the symptoms largely went away. Now when I become anxious I recognize the symptoms for what they are and they have much less power to feed the fear that something is wrong.