PDA

View Full Version : Everything is tumbling down, again.

voodoogirl
12-06-17, 21:17
I've never used a forum before but I'm at a loss as to what else I can possibly do at this stage. I've had generalised anxiety disorder since I was a child which in my adolescence evolved into agoraphobia, after 3 years of being confined to my self contained alcatraz I managed to form a safety bubble within which I can function as "normal". Luckily I live in a very small city so my bubble is conveniently populated by most of the things i would need/want, however I can't go anywhere near the city centre alone. To cut a long story short I gave birth to a baby and in the aftermath suffered a complete psychotic breakdown. It was a significantly crippling set back. I managed to pull it together and take the ambulance service off speed diall. I improved dramatically over the course of a few months, until now. I've had periods of zoning out in my lical supermarket, at first I thought it was a combination of exhaustion and sensory assaulting strip lighting but last night I had a pain in my side and flipped from relatively fine to "it's appendicitus", my partner being a rational human being suggested if it became worse gping down to the hospital and that was the detonator. I began shaking, hyperventilating, pacing the floor literally pulling my hair out. The thought of going withing 40 yards of a hospital for myself after the birth fills me with nerve shredding horror. My anxiety was already teetering on the edge prior to the mention of a hospital anyway. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing anymore. I take 20mg of Citalopram and 4pmg of propanalol everyday, it's not propping me up anymore. Has any experienced a relapse and if so do they have experience of health phobias as part and parcel of thier anxiety disorder. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

braindead
13-06-17, 09:43
you need to see a gp there the ones with the meds, you may need a different type or more of the same, maybe therapy is needed, your English so its all free

voodoogirl
13-06-17, 10:49
My GP is not very helpful given that they have a time allowance of five minutes per patient and I would rather not over medicate myself if it's avoidable. I suppose I was hoping someone on the site might have some words of reassurance for someone in the middle of a relapse.

braindead
13-06-17, 17:33
My GP is not very helpful given that they have a time allowance of five minutes per patient and I would rather not over medicate myself if it's avoidable. I suppose I was hoping someone on the site might have some words of reassurance for someone in the middle of a relapse.
ITS 10 MINUTES :shades:

snowghost57
13-06-17, 17:43
We can offer support, but only a doctor can help you with medication. Sounds to me that you have postpartum depression, I don't know I'm not a doctor. You just had a baby, your hormones are all over the place. We can give you all the advice you want, you can google til you're fingers fall off, only a physician or a therapist will do you any good.

voodoogirl
13-06-17, 22:42
It's five minutes in my Doctor's surgery. I've been there enough to know. I am not requesting advice about medication. I was sumply trying to gain some perspective on how to positively deal with a relapse. This forum has been deeply unhelpful.

Chris 614
14-06-17, 00:47
I have suffered from anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks off and on for 35 years. When I had my son 23 years ago I went through crazy anxiety after he arrived. Here's the thing, you already have the anxiety and panic issues so your body is already sensitized. Add to that a pregnancy, crazy hormones, childbirth, and then motherhood. It's kind of the perfect storm. And, I'm guessing you aren't getting normal sleep right now. The added bonus.

Of course you feel anxious. You are going through a stressful time right now. Grabbing on to a real or imagined health issue is very normal. A therapist told me that anxiety doesn't have a purpose so it looks for one. It happens to me often. If I'm going through an anxious period...that simmering anxiety that doesn't go away...it ALWAYS finds a weird health issue to grab onto. Then I run with that. It's very frustrating.

Try not to scare yourself. That's hard because we are experts at what iffing! Any type of distraction will help refocus your brain even for a minute or two at first. With an infant I'm sure you are busy and that's good. Rest as much as you can and try to do nice things for yourself. You made it through other setbacks and you will get through this one.

Also, the zoning out at the store...don't give it another thought. You're exhausted I'm guessing, right? And the appendicitis...it's funny you mention that because I've been having this little twinge on my right side and appendicitis was my first thought! Not...maybe it's muscular or a digestive issue or gas. It has to be something worth worrying about!

Breathe. Enjoy your baby. It's going to get better.