PDA

View Full Version : Trip anxiety

Sarahhop
13-06-17, 17:59
So I am going on a 3 week trip with a group in about a week. I am having so much anxiety and I am waking up nervous for the trip. Their are a number of reasons why I am nervous for this trip. For one I am going with a group to a far away country which scares me. Secondly I am terrified of planes. Thirdly I am an introvert and it is sometimes hard for me to make friends. If anyone has any advise pls reply it would help me so much. Thank you!

Rick(amateur)
13-06-17, 21:00
Hi Sarahhop,

I'm sorry to hear anxiety making the days leading up to the trip difficult. Here are just some advice from my own experience and I hope they can help you somewhat.

Going to a faraway country be be terrifying but exciting at the same time. Maybe use Google and see what that country has to offer. If you love animals, see if there are any exotic animals you want to see. Maybe you love plants or history or culture. Treat going to this country as an adventure people in novels go on. Make it fun and exciting so that fear would be in the back of your mind.

Fear of planes is a bit more complicated. I'm afraid I don't have any fear of that degree so I couldn't offer much. I think the best approach is to distract yourself like listen to music.

I was an introvert too. Now I honestly don't know what I am. I find that introverts tend to overthink things and, when talking to strangers, try to find that perfect opening. My advice is to relax and just talk like you're already friends. Have a normal conversation and you'll be surprised what could come out of it. As someone who has done door to door sales, I learned that people like to talk about themselves so, if you listen and find ways to relate, it's quite easy to make new friends.

Good luck with the trip! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. :)

Sarahhop
14-06-17, 08:15
Wow thank you for replying and giving me advise. There aren't many people out there like you that give this much information and support so I thank you. I will definitely try and relax and be more calm. Hopefully I will be less nervous as the trip gets closer. Thanks again!

TuesdayBlue
18-06-17, 00:53
Hey there,
I've cut and paste these tips from a website, http://www.wheresmydopamine.com/travel-fear-unknown-insights-brain/
I hope they can help...

If you are the type of person who is prone to worrying about the unknown, here are some guidelines to help you adjust:

It’s a good idea to plan well in advance, especially for the first few days of your trip. Book accommodation. If you’re on a budget and opting for dorm rooms, you might want to consider getting a private room for just your first night. Make sure you research the transport options for getting into the city. Make sure that you have the address of your hotel written down clearly on a piece of paper. Don’t rely on electronic devices that are prone to running out of battery when you need them most. If you’re travelling long-term and buying one-way flights, make sure that you don’t require an outward-bound ticket. You may get trouble at immigration.

Use Street View on Google Maps to virtually check out the area around your hotel. This will help you feel oriented. When you’re settled, take a walk around the block. Street View can be used to check out bus terminals, airports or another place that can feel overwhelming.
Set aside extra funds for your initial week. For instance, getting an authorized taxi from the airport instead of trying to figure out the public transport can do wonders to quell arrival fears. For maps and addresses, , but consider loading up a map on your phone while you still have access to wifi. You’d be surprised at how often Uber and taxi drivers get lost in their own city.

Put aside some money for “hotel asylum”. Sometimes, especially if you’re travelling alone and staying in drab budget accommodation, things can reach a tipping point. Make peace with over-spending and book yourself into a good hotel for two or three nights. Don’t feel guilty about turning your back on the outside world for a few days. Take the time to recharge. The benefits to your mental health will far outweigh the time and money.

If you don’t speak the language, use Google translate to get some basic phrases like “I want to go to… / Where is the bathroom? / How much is it? / I need to go to…”.

If you’re travelling long-term, create structure and set up a routine. Though the familiarity of your surroundings will be hard to control, you can set up familiar activities. Exercise not only has powerful effects on your well-being, but it is a good way to create structure in your day. Set an alarm and begin each day with a jog. Alternatively, visiting the same coffee shop each morning to gather your thoughts will provide a sense of stability. Alternatively, you can create structure by having a “project” on the go. I once met a guy who was creating a photograph collection of unusual trees and football fields. For me, this blog has provided me with an important sense of structure to my days.

Tread lightly with alcohol. If you know that one drink at the bar will lead to 5, consider avoiding alcohol while you adjust. A hangover can bring with it a fierce sense of confusion and disorientation.

Stop comparing, relax your expectations and slow down. The web is a wash with countless travel bloggers documenting their fabulous and carefree escapades. Remember that they’re not showing you the behind-the-scene stuff. Your adventure will be unique and worthwhile in its own way. With so much information and opportunity, deciding exactly what to do and how much of it can feel overwhelming. As soon as you accept that you can’t do everything, the things you do get up to will start to feel worth it enough. In any event, slow travel can be far more rewarding.

You can go home, anytime. Returning home might feel like you’ve failed but its just as empowering to be able to say that you didn’t enjoy it. Everyone knows travel can be hard. It doesn’t mean that you aren’t able to travel, it simply means that at this moment in your life, you’re happier else where. You may never opt to use your “go home free” card, but simply knowing its on the table can be reassuring. If you do decide that its time to schedule your flight back home, first take hotel asylum.

Don’t forget that you’re learning. For me, reminding myself that although things may feel like a mental struggle at times, travel is not simply about the pursuit of hedonism. It is to gain experience about life and learn. Stop fighting so hard against hardships. Take time to reflect on the lessons you’ve learnt and recognise the value in this.

But, the unknown is not all bad. Part of the fun of travelling is about the thrill of discovering new things. In my experience, although hours of research online can help you plan and visualize your trip, too much research on the internet can be overwhelming. And, its very likely that your own imagination will do a much better job of envisioning your destination from the comfort of your home. In such case, you may find yourself arriving, feeling just a little bit disappointed by your surroundings. Give yourself time for acclimatizing and enough cash for creature comforts and it won’t take long before you realize that pursuing the unknown is part of what you were looking for.

Rick(amateur)
18-06-17, 02:56
Wow thank you for replying and giving me advise. There aren't many people out there like you that give this much information and support so I thank you. I will definitely try and relax and be more calm. Hopefully I will be less nervous as the trip gets closer. Thanks again!

No need to thank me! Just trying to help people out! I used to be terrified of a lot of stuff but life sorta taught me how to get past them. Know you aren't alone and, if something seems overwhelming, take it a step at a time. :)

Mona38
20-06-17, 21:02
I went to England in January from abroad where I live and I was TERRIFIED. I thought I was going to die. I just went into a sort of frozen mode. I was scared of the plane, scared of going at all even though I was going to see my BEST friend! I hit rock bottom but I went and I was SO proud of myself as often I find it hard to open my front door. I didn't force myself but I said I had nothing to lose. Anxiety was destroying my life anyway! AND I have a good time. I lived! And I smiled and I laughed and I got home feeling taller! Tired but changed. It took a while to assimilate it all.
I went on a weekend trip ten days ago. The same anxiety struck. I nearly cancelled. I was in the same country with GOOD friends but I just broke down. But I went. And I had a REALLY happy time.
I know what you are going through and I can only say that if you allow yourself to feel those things but live anyway despite them it is not only survivable but FUN at times. Someone on this forum suggested (along with my psy) that if I have a bad thought I question it. I say "is this thought useful?" and very often I know it is not. It goes! Miracle. It takes practise. I was also instructed to do mindfulness as it is difficult to worry about the future and past when you are wholly in the present. These things take time but they work. This forum has helped me find courage. It's very constructive. You are DEFINITELY not alone. Good luck and I think you are very brave to go away despite your fear. Why don't you see the trip as an unfolding story? Take a diary and note things that interest you, surprise you...capture things on camera. Document. It'll keep you busy. And remember in a life time three weeks is not much. You will bring some joy back from the trip, some good experiences. And I am sure you will meet many kind people.