PDA

View Full Version : *Graphic* Dark patches in my stool

Mr_dude
13-06-17, 18:53
Hello guys, this is my first post, though I have been lurking here for some time because of anxiety towards my health.

Two or so months ago I was on antibiotics for a month to treat a inflamed prostate. I don't eat or drink anything from animals so I wasn't getting my probiotics which messed up my intestines. Since then I've had weird stools that have varied in size, shape and color. Mostly though my stool comes out yellow and sometimes flat. Other times they come out half yellow and half really dark brown and clunky. Mostly though they come out yellow/light brown with darker patches. I read somewhere that black tarry stool (I assume tarry means sticky like thick ink) could be internal bleeding. However, my stool is not tarry, but sometimes quite dark. I'm visiting a doctor this Friday to talk about it but I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to say there.

I've started drinking yogurt with probiotics in, but it doesn't seem to help. Today (just now actually) my stool was again odd with these dark patches to it, though it seemed darker than usual.

Basically what I'm asking is, what do you guys think it is? Could it be blood or is tarry (like I described) the only thing that would indicate that? I do sometimes have small pecks of fresh blood when I wipe, though it could be from doing it too much as I have to visit the loo often, or maybe a little hemorrhoid. I also have some other things:

Normally I'm able to drink dark beer (with licorice in it) without it affecting my stool, but last time I did my stool went completely black. Also if I eat tomato soup my stool turns red-ish. It really seems like my intestines are having a rough time and I'm looking to fix it, any suggestions what I could do?

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to make sure I had everything in it, and I am really panicky about this so I hope you guys can come with some information that hopefully would calm me.

Best regards.

snowghost57
13-06-17, 19:09
I have no words. Please seek help from a professional about your anxiety. We can give you support.

axolotl
13-06-17, 19:33
When it comes to actually taking photos of your poo and showing it to strangers on the internet (what expertise exactly are anxiety sufferers supposed to bring here?) that's a serious sign to speak to a professional about health anxiety.

At least you didn't embed the image into the post I suppose...

Mr_dude
13-06-17, 19:50
I have no words. Please seek help from a professional about your anxiety. We can give you support.

When it comes to actually taking photos of your poo and showing it to strangers on the internet (what expertise exactly are anxiety sufferers supposed to bring here?) that's a serious sign to speak to a professional about health anxiety.

At least you didn't embed the image into the post I suppose...

Sorry you two I didn't know it was bad :( would it be best if I remove the post?

axolotl
13-06-17, 19:58
Sorry you two I didn't know it was bad :( would it be best if I remove the post?

You took pictures of your faeces and asked people on the internet to look at it.

You're not the first to do that, but if you didn't stop yourself and think that may be going a bit far while doing that, I'm serious you need to talk to a doctor about your anxiety.

Are you currently getting any help for your health anxiety?

Mr_dude
13-06-17, 20:10
You took pictures of your faeces and asked people on the internet to look at it.

You're not the first to do that, but if you didn't stop yourself and think that may be going a bit far while doing that, I'm serious you need to talk to a doctor about your anxiety, OCD or whatever.

Are you currently getting any help for your health anxiety?

I removed the link, also no I am not because I can't afford help. I am getting a full time Software Engineering job now that pays well and it'll be one of the first things I do. My dad had anxiety as well at my age so I suppose it comes from him. It's been a thing I've had to deal with for a bit over a year now.

axolotl
13-06-17, 20:24
I removed the link, also no I am not because I can't afford help. I am getting a full time Software Engineering job now that pays well and it'll be one of the first things I do. My dad had anxiety as well at my age so I suppose it comes from him. It's been a thing I've had to deal with for a bit over a year now.

OK, good luck. I take for granted the fact things are free here (even though we have very long waits). Hope all works out for you, and remember you'll find support here (but leave the camera out of the bathroom ;) ).

Mr_dude
13-06-17, 20:27
OK, good luck. I take for granted the fact things are free here (even though we have very long waits). Hope all works out for you, and remember you'll find support here (but leave the camera out of the bathroom ;) ).
Haha yeah sorry I'll remember that :) I really need to stop googling things.. Like I know antibiotics mess up your bowels and yet I googled things regarding my stool and of course I was told I had cancer or IBS or what not. Two months ago (the reason I was antibiotics) I had an enlarged prostate that was found because I had a ball in my .. well ball :P and of course I assumed I had testicular cancer (though just a spermatocelle) and I of course assumed the enlarged prostate was prostate cancer.. What is wrong with me :wacko: Any tips? I think I need to start meditating again, really put me in a good place while doing it.

axolotl
13-06-17, 20:37
Haha yeah sorry I'll remember that :) I really need to stop googling things.. Like I know antibiotics mess up your bowels and yet I googled things regarding my stool and of course I was told I had cancer or IBS or what not. Two months ago (the reason I was antibiotics) I had an enlarged prostate that was found because I had a ball in my .. well ball :P and of course I assumed I had testicular cancer (though just a spermatocelle) and I of course assumed the enlarged prostate was prostate cancer.. What is wrong with me :wacko: Any tips? I think I need to start meditating again, really put me in a good place while doing it.

I'm on antibiotics at the moment and I've got the trots something rotten, it always happens. And IBS? Part of parcel of anxiety, I'm afraid. Nothing to worry about if you have it, just annoying. You'd need very very good reason to think anything sinister, especially if you're a younger person.

I've also been through something similar in the gentleman's area recently, always scary, but again dodgy stuff down there is rare (and even if it was, is as treatable as dodgy stuff can be). Mine turned out to be varicoceles, which are equally as benign.

I think the tip is to seek professional help if you can, don't be worried about doing so or see it as any different to getting antibiotics if you have an infection - medicine for an illness. I'm on the waiting list for CBT, and looking forward to tackling this thing, though I appreciate it's expensive in some countries if you have no NHS. In the meantime try and let logic win out, remember that you don't have to be hypervigilant about illness (it's the biggest lie health anxiety will tell you), try and distract yourself, and never, ever Google medical stuff.

snowghost57
13-06-17, 20:39
I don't know what country your in, I don't know that flag. I would think that most countries have some sort of mental health agency that is either free or provides services at a lower cost. I hope I didn't come across to strong. There are so many posts on health anxiety, (I don't suffer from it) I'm just your average garden variety of anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Medication can help you, I used them during a bad spell. I have learned though that we can retrain our brains, it can be done, it takes hard work and practice. Challenge your thoughts, do they have any value? Are these thoughts realistic? Remember google is a computer that will give you answers for whatever you look for. Also, not everything on the internet is real. Use google to find a mental health clinic, community service board, social services. I'm sure your area will have some form of assistance.

Mr_dude
13-06-17, 20:43
I'm on antibiotics at the moment and I've got the trots something rotten, it always happens. And IBS? Part of parcel of anxiety, I'm afraid. Nothing to worry about if you have it, just annoying. You'd need very very good reason to think anything sinister, especially if you're a younger person.

I've also been through something similar in the gentleman's area recently, always scary, but again dodgy stuff down there is rare (and even if it was, is as treatable as dodgy stuff can be). Mine turned out to be varicoceles, which are equally as benign.

I think the tip is to seek professional help if you can, don't be worried about doing so or see it as any different to getting antibiotics if you have an infection - medicine for an illness. I'm on the waiting list for CBT, and looking forward to tackling this thing, though I appreciate it's expensive in some countries if you have no NHS. In the meantime try and let logic win out, remember that you don't have to be hypervigilant about illness (it's the biggest lie health anxiety will tell you), try and distract yourself, and never, ever Google medical stuff.
Well health care is free in Denmark but psychologists aren't. I'll do my best haha and good luck to you too man. Also I'm 21.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

I don't know what country your in, I don't know that flag. I would think that most countries have some sort of mental health agency that is either free or provides services at a lower cost. I hope I didn't come across to strong. There are so many posts on health anxiety, (I don't suffer from it) I'm just your average garden variety of anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Medication can help you, I used them during a bad spell. I have learned though that we can retrain our brains, it can be done, it takes hard work and practice. Challenge your thoughts, do they have any value? Are these thoughts realistic? Remember google is a computer that will give you answers for whatever you look for. Also, not everything on the internet is real. Use google to find a mental health clinic, community service board, social services. I'm sure your area will have some form of assistance.

I'm from Denmark and I don't think our free health care can give any reduced price, only with a private insurance (though I'm only 21 so until I turn 22 I'm under my mothers private one so I could get a reduced price). I would never accept any mood impairing pills, I'd rather try alternatives like mediation and what not :) Thanks buddy.

Barry boy
13-06-17, 21:01
Hello guys, this is my first post, though I have been lurking here for some time because of anxiety towards my health.

Two or so months ago I was on antibiotics for a month to treat a inflamed prostate. I don't eat or drink anything from animals so I wasn't getting my probiotics which messed up my intestines. Since then I've had weird stools that have varied in size, shape and color. Mostly though my stool comes out yellow and sometimes flat. Other times they come out half yellow and half really dark brown and clunky. Mostly though they come out yellow/light brown with darker patches. I read somewhere that black tarry stool (I assume tarry means sticky like thick ink) could be internal bleeding. However, my stool is not tarry, but sometimes quite dark. I'm visiting a doctor this Friday to talk about it but I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to say there.

I've started drinking yogurt with probiotics in, but it doesn't seem to help. Today (just now actually) my stool was again odd with these dark patches to it, though it seemed darker than usual.

Basically what I'm asking is, what do you guys think it is? Could it be blood or is tarry (like I described) the only thing that would indicate that? I do sometimes have small pecks of fresh blood when I wipe, though it could be from doing it too much as I have to visit the loo often, or maybe a little hemorrhoid. I also have some other things:

Normally I'm able to drink dark beer (with licorice in it) without it affecting my stool, but last time I did my stool went completely black. Also if I eat tomato soup my stool turns red-ish. It really seems like my intestines are having a rough time and I'm looking to fix it, any suggestions what I could do?

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to make sure I had everything in it, and I am really panicky about this so I hope you guys can come with some information that hopefully would calm me.

Best regards.

Hi Mr dude, I had internal bleeding in my intestine earlier in the year. My stool was very black, it freaked me out. I knew that it was blood straight away. Trust me, if you had internal bleeding you will know straight away. I went straight to A&E and they done blood tests etc, and various other tests over the months.

They didn't find anything wrong with me in the end. I'd been suffering from stomach bloating and a burning sensation in the stomach for months before that.
They suspected it might be a stomach ulcer.

I'd try not to worry to much, judging by what you said it doesn't sound like intrenal bleeding.
Best you see a doctor though.

Mr_dude
13-06-17, 21:03
Hi Mr dude, I had internal bleeding in my intestine earlier in the year. My stool was very black, it freaked me out. I knew that it was blood straight away. Trust me, if you had internal bleeding you will know straight away. I went straight to A&E and they done blood tests etc, and various other tests over the months.

They didn't find anything wrong with me in the end. I'd been suffering from stomach bloating and a burning sensation in the stomach for months before that.
They suspected it might be a stomach ulcer.

I'd try not to worry to much, judging by what you said it doesn't sound like intrenal bleeding.
Best you see a doctor though.

Cheers mate I'll be seeing him this Friday to talk about things. Maybe I'll have to have some sort of test I don't know, I'll trust his judgement.

tan235
14-06-17, 05:39
haha I only came to this page because I was hoping to see the poop!!

It's natural we all poop and if there's one place that you can show your poop it should be here!
I get multi coloured poop a lot - sometimes it looks black.
If it's tarry then that means old blood and you can tell as it looks like tar you'd see on a road that's not set.

Trust me, I have no issue seeing poop... heck I"ve googled poop!

axolotl
14-06-17, 09:35
if there's one place that you can show your poop it should be here!

Um no.

Encouraging people to do something like that is not healthy for their anxiety. The minute people are hunched over the bowl, digital camera in hand, should be the point people go "wait... this has gone a bit too far".

No-one should be posting pictures of any body parts or bodily functions, as this isn't a medical diagnostic forum and no-one is in any way more medically qualified to give opinion than the person posting it.

And if you like looking at poo, erm, good for you, but almost everyone else in the world doesn't.

Mr_dude
07-07-17, 19:55
Update:
So I had some blood tests done and the poop test done. I'm at some point gonna have the biopsy or whatever it's called, but I'll do that later. The poop test came out normal and the blood tests sort of came out normal. I had elevated amounts of bilirubin and potassium. Not sure about the potassium but I'm going to have both checked out because my father, mother and sister both have Gilbert's Syndrome so the chances of me having it too is super high. I read somewhere that elevated amounts of bilirubin can be the cause of that (and well my sister said it too). Here's some facts about Gilbert's syndrome growyouthful(dot)com/ailment/gilberts-syndrome.php and I can identify most of the common symptoms (though not jaundice I think, not sure though). Anyway I'm relieved if it's "just" that, though dietary chance is essential. Rip pizza.

Capercrohnj
07-07-17, 20:26
Biopsy of what?

Mr_dude
07-07-17, 21:47
Biopsy of what?

my butt :P No like a little camera up the arse, 60cm or something.

Capercrohnj
07-07-17, 21:53
Oh you mean a colonoscopy. They biopsy your colon not your butt ;)

Mr_dude
08-07-17, 07:43
Oh you mean a colonoscopy. They biopsy your colon not your butt ;)

Well in not sure what I'm having some, I'll let that be up to my doctor haha