PDA

View Full Version : Sudden weight loss

Moondreams
14-06-17, 15:53
So, I've been suffering with back/hip pain for several months which has been stressing me out and I have a doctors' appointment booked to look into that but I've also noticed that I've lost around 9 pounds in a month which is stressing me out even more.

The thing is, I was on holiday in the States (I'm from the UK) for 3 weeks and I did a lot more walking than usual and didn't eat as much or as regularly. So part of me knows that is probably contributing. And since coming back, I also haven't been eating regular meals because I haven't had the energy or motivation to cook in the evenings and it's summer and my appetite tends to wain when I'm too hot anyway.

So, is it possible to lose that much weight in that amount of time? I am overweight so it's not like I've dropped to an alarming weight or anything and I don't feel fatigued. I'm just concerned because I haven't seen this weight in a while and I've already convinced myself that the back/hip pain is something terrible so naturally coupled with this, it's making me panic even more.

poppadr3w
14-06-17, 22:41
Honestly, 9 pounds is a totally fine amount to lose. People can safely lose 2-3 lbs a week with diet and exercise (you did extra walking and you haven't been eating as much). This is all especially true if you're already overweight.

Hip/back pain can be caused by many things, including tight muscles in the hamstrings, hip flexors, glutes, etc. I'd get it checked out regardless.

If you want to read my fitness blog that is more geared towards people with anxiety, check it out at www.anxietypress.com

Lakme
15-06-17, 04:21
So, I've been suffering with back/hip pain for several months which has been stressing me out and I have a doctors' appointment booked to look into that but I've also noticed that I've lost around 9 pounds in a month which is stressing me out even more.

The thing is, I was on holiday in the States (I'm from the UK) for 3 weeks and I did a lot more walking than usual and didn't eat as much or as regularly. So part of me knows that is probably contributing. And since coming back, I also haven't been eating regular meals because I haven't had the energy or motivation to cook in the evenings and it's summer and my appetite tends to wain when I'm too hot anyway.

So, is it possible to lose that much weight in that amount of time? I am overweight so it's not like I've dropped to an alarming weight or anything and I don't feel fatigued. I'm just concerned because I haven't seen this weight in a while and I've already convinced myself that the back/hip pain is something terrible so naturally coupled with this, it's making me panic even more.

9 pounds is nothing. Try losing 15 pounds with an already high metabolism and eating tons on a daily basis. I have to use equipment just to gain weight. Try working towards muscle mass and you'll gain back those pounds you lost in no time. Walking tones the muscles and lifting weights builds them!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've had numerous blood tests and examinations as well as the fact that it's been more than half a year since I lost the weight. If that isn't proof that anxiety can make you lose weight I don't know what is.