PDA

View Full Version : Palpable lymph nodes for 6+ years....I would be dead....right?

Bwh5199
14-06-17, 18:30
Hi,

I'm a newcomer to this forum and I just wanted to get my worries off my chest to a group of people who would understand my stress and anxiety.

For at least 6 years (I am 23 currently), I have been able to feel lymph nodes in my neck and above my left collarbone (more on that later), as well as always being able to feel them in my groin as well. One thing to note us that i had a severe case of cellulitis as a child (I was hospitalized for a few days), and I've always wondered if that could have lead to some shoddy nodes or something. I first noticed these and started worrying about them in high school, when a friend of mine was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer that would take his life a few years later. When I noticed these nodes, I freaked out and googled things (always a bad idea), and was convinced that I had lymphoma and that I would die because of it. I went to the doctor and had a CBC taken, which came back clean, and was told to watch them to make sure they didn't grow.

Over the next few years, my anxiety about these nodes has cone and gone time and time again, and I've had 2 more CBCs (both clean) and an ultrasound done in my neck last summer (also clean). However, last week, something convinced me, late at night, to do more googling, and I came across articles that spoke of "virchow's node", which apparently can be a sign of late-stage stomach cancer, and when I noticed that the lymph nodes I Can feel in my collarbone seem to be the same nodes mentioned, my anxiety went into overdrive, with me becoming convinced that I have late-stage stomach cancer that is going to kill me. I called the American Cancer Society 24/7 hotline out of desperation, and they pretty much told me to keep my doctor up to date on any changes, but that stomach cancer in someone my age us extremely rare. However, for the last few says, I have been unable to shake this feeling of impending doom from my life, and it is really starting to affect my personal and professional life. I find it extremely hard to even get out of bed to eat or shower, let alone spend time with my friends/fiance.

But, considering I've been able to feel these nodes for years and years, and the haven't grown, if they were a sign of something serious, wouldn't I already he dead? I haven't lost weight, I don't get fevers or night sweats, I don't gave blood or pain when passing stools, but for some reason I just can't shake the anxiety.

I pushed and pushed my doctor to give me a referral to an ENT, which he eventually did, and have my first therapy appointment tomorrow, but in the meantime, I just wanted to get the opinions of the people here, as I'm hoping some if you can understand what I am going through.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Fishmanpa
14-06-17, 19:20
...considering I've been able to feel these nodes for years and years, and the haven't grown, if they were a sign of something serious, wouldn't I already he dead?

As a head and neck cancer survivor, I can tell you with all certainty, you would not be with us if it were cancer.

Positive thoughts

Bwh5199
14-06-17, 19:45
As a head and neck cancer survivor, I can tell you with all certainty, you would not be with us if it were cancer.

Positive thoughts

Thanks, even that helps. I just need to figure out a way to convince myself that I'm not just being hopeful when I tell myself that if it was something, that it would've definitely surfaced by now.

This approach has worked temporarily in the past, but my anxiety keeps coming back every year or two, and it seems to get worse every time, with this most recent episode by far being the worst.

(Also, sorry for all of the typos in my original post, it was typed out frantically over my lunch hour on my phone).

Thanks again!

linniek808
15-06-17, 06:21
I also have this, I'm going in for an ultrasound check up. Worried sick of course, but I feel pretty good otherwise. I think there are reasons why they could be enlarged that are mostly benign.

OutOfExile
15-06-17, 17:52
Hi Bwh,

You've been able to feel your lymph nodes for 6 years, and those lymph nodes are what is driving your stomach cancer anxiety. Essentially what you're asking is if it's possible that you developed late stage stomach cancer 6 years ago, and have not only survived past the point that's considered 'survival' for cancer diagnoses, but have also never even experienced other concerning symptoms.

In short, no. It's not possible - go do something fun to take your mind off this, nothing to worry about!

mdel
16-06-17, 00:46
I have several palpable lymph nodes in my neck for over 4 years and I was convinced too that it could be slow growing lymphoma. But after 4 years I'm sure it isn't. If you search in google, even the most slow growing lymphoma makes your lymph nodes double in size every 6 months or 1 year.
I also considered thyroid cancer which is even more slow growing, but even if we have thyroid cancer which would be super rare because we already performed ultrasound that came clear it's almost over 98% curable (considering every person including high risk people) and about 100% for us because we are very young (I'm 23 too). It's a cancer that doesn't even require chemoterapy.
Anyway we don't have any kind of cancer because we went to doctors and since they want our money or our insurance's money they are very interested in finding cancers, but they didn't so we only are anxious people.
I wish you the best! We won't die soon, we are not even close to half of our life xD.