PDA

View Full Version : Can Financial Problems Cause Anxiety

samtheman
09-05-07, 18:02
This is certainly a new twist, I seen my Pyscologist today and today we went through my life history, she is set in finding an under lying cause and I reckon she may have found it,

She said its financial problems causing my anxiety:blush: Have you ever heard of this???

Its odd because the more I think about it the more it seems so totally right.

I left school at 16 no exams, no nothing as I messed up my final 2 years due to drugs/bad crowd etc, From 17 I have been a min wage worker in jobs I hate, never had money for anything, never had a house/holiday, I spent money I didn't have on credit cards now I have an IVA.

Could this be the cause of my problems?? Its very very odd my anxiety started at 17 when I started working

clickaway
09-05-07, 18:37
Well, it must be a big worry for you, but perhaps there was something there prior to that?

Ask yourself why you got into a drugs and a bad crowd? Were you happy as a child and did you feel stable with your parents for example?

But also consider that you are here NOW and you need a mix of understanding yourself and the challenge of trying to move forward as much as you can.

Take Care

Insomniac
09-05-07, 23:58
Hi Sam

This thread caught my attention because I am currently having serious financial trouble. I have had anxiety for last 3 years. And financial trouble for last 4 in greater or lesser amounts. But I am aware that although I react more to the trouble (with palpitations, lack of sleep, dizziness etc) I am a natural worrier. I have also suffered with depression for over 10 years on and off, and have very low self-esteem. I believe its my low self-esteem that causes most difficulty, because it is how other people perceive me and my illness that worry me most. e.g. what if I panic somewhere public, what if they judge me/laugh at me, what if I can't get away, what if I make a fool of myself.

So I would agree that financial trouble certainly adds to anxiety, as it can leave you feeling insecure, it may be that the insecurity was already there and just increases with financial problems?

I think Ray has a point though. Think about who you are and where you are in your life NOW. And where would you like to be? Do you have any aims which you could realistically set yourself (make these achievable!). I was a mum at home with a love for children, now I am a teaching assistant, doing something I love and I get a great sense of achievement from. It helps to build my confidence and help me feel better about myself. Hope this helps.

looking4answers
10-05-07, 03:15
BINGO...Financial troubles is one of the biggest culprits of anxiety . although some people learn to ignore it which just makes it worse.. but to be subtle..YES YES YES .. it can and does and I think that most of the anxiety in the world stems from finances ..My first severe case came from finances and having another child and then as years progressed a bad marriage that caused severe depression that caused anxiety and after that my mother died and after she died I felt i had no one and no reason to live so for many years I had no anxiety .

I was wanting to die to much to worry about dying ..I also got a divorce in the meantime which freed up my worrying..I was happy and pretty much anxiety free for many years till I got married again ..I had a reason to be anxious because I had a reason to live..It was spuratic here and there and when the hurricane struck ..well we were out 12 hours ahead and some of the blessed ones as we didn't lose that much but we did lose the closeness of family..

We relocated on our own 2000 miles from our former home.We were lucky in the fact that we had bought land here years ago as investment but now the children were scattered all over the US and well we went through heavy seperation anxiety and being in a weird place..Like being on another planet as far as we were concerned and the children and grandchildren spread all over the country with no hopes of seeing them on a regular basis..

Now we have accepted what has happened but the anxiety from being away from family and going through trauma was enough to start the anxiousness all over again.. but yes oh yes money is the root of all evil.. lol and it does cause serious issues.. anxiety being a minor but very major when it hits you ..

cattttt
10-05-07, 04:52
If you left school with nothing, and have been in jobs you hate, it could well lead to anxiety. Have you thought about doing some of those exams and maybe getting a job you like better? Or there are jobs not needing exams that are not so demoralising, anyone would be anxious doing something they hate. Get yourself along to somewhere that will help you change your situation, don't know what it's called in Britain any more, haven't lived there for 19 years.

Phill2
10-05-07, 08:37
You got that right.It certaily does it to me. :shades: