PDA

View Full Version : Fragile after panic attack

KezNZ
15-06-17, 23:07
Hey guys so last night I had a panic attack that lasted around 3 hours, I know many people say don't resist it just let it happen.... but honestly I don't know how to not resist when a panic attack is so terrifying. Anyways once I finally got to sleep everything was ok, now it's the morning after and I feel so incredibly fragile. My question is how do you stop the fear the morning after how do you go on with you day and stop yourself from thinking about the horrible night you had before?
Thanks for listening as usual guys. Xo

MadWomanintheAttik
16-06-17, 02:27
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad night. I've had many sleepless nights due to my panic attacks. When they first started 13 years ago, I barely slept at all. I know panic attacks are scary, and accepting them seems so unnatural doesn't it? It's like telling someone to naturally accept something that makes them feel like bolting out of their door. I have found in the years that different techniques work for different people. The acceptance method works for some people. It works sometimes for me, but sometimes it doesn't. All of my panic attacks are the same, but the way that I control them varies depending on the intensity of the attack.

The worst thing you can do is dwell on them though. It's hard not to dwell on something that you know will be coming though. I have accepted the fact that I will get panic attacks for the rest of my life as I haven't found anything that has completely eradicated them. There is a sense of peace in this, if that makes any sense.

Just keep reminding yourself that yes, you might have one, or you might not. And it's always a good idea to have a back up plan as to how you plan on dealing with the attack. I spent many years just letting them come and experiencing them while I was terrified. I wish I had had someone to tell me, hey, if you plan ahead and come up with some ideas on how to distract yourself, the panic attack might go away quicker.

And this is true - you need to come up with something that will distract you from thinking about the attacks when they occur and when they aren't occurring.

I hope this helps you and I hope you're okay. I know panic attacks are scary , but know that other people struggle just like you do. :)

snowghost57
16-06-17, 02:37
I have only had a few panic attacks, one was severe and I ended up in the ER. Yes it scared me. I have learned to stop them before they start. I can't imagine having one for 3 hours. I have managed to overcome my anxiety, by challenging my thinking, seeing a therapist and working all the time on my thoughts. It takes a lot of work but every day I am stronger.

KezNZ
16-06-17, 08:46
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad night. I've had many sleepless nights due to my panic attacks. When they first started 13 years ago, I barely slept at all. I know panic attacks are scary, and accepting them seems so unnatural doesn't it? It's like telling someone to naturally accept something that makes them feel like bolting out of their door. I have found in the years that different techniques work for different people. The acceptance method works for some people. It works sometimes for me, but sometimes it doesn't. All of my panic attacks are the same, but the way that I control them varies depending on the intensity of the attack.

The worst thing you can do is dwell on them though. It's hard not to dwell on something that you know will be coming though. I have accepted the fact that I will get panic attacks for the rest of my life as I haven't found anything that has completely eradicated them. There is a sense of peace in this, if that makes any sense.

Just keep reminding yourself that yes, you might have one, or you might not. And it's always a good idea to have a back up plan as to how you plan on dealing with the attack. I spent many years just letting them come and experiencing them while I was terrified. I wish I had had someone to tell me, hey, if you plan ahead and come up with some ideas on how to distract yourself, the panic attack might go away quicker.

And this is true - you need to come up with something that will distract you from thinking about the attacks when they occur and when they aren't occurring.

I hope this helps you and I hope you're okay. I know panic attacks are scary , but know that other people struggle just like you do. :)

Thanks for the advice and reply I really appreciate it, this whole day I have felt so on edge and it feels as if it's leading into even more panic especially now that's it's nearly bed time... the thought of trying to sleep scares me even though I love to sleep once I'm actually asleep! I don't know what I can do is it just going to turn into a panic week instead of just a moment in my life. :shrug:

RVCtraveler
21-06-17, 01:15
Thanks for the advice and reply I really appreciate it, this whole day I have felt so on edge and it feels as if it's leading into even more panic especially now that's it's nearly bed time... the thought of trying to sleep scares me even though I love to sleep once I'm actually asleep! I don't know what I can do is it just going to turn into a panic week instead of just a moment in my life. :shrug:

I know others have said it, but you're not alone. I have the same feelings of fragility afterwards, but sometimes I get a glimpse of a sense of strength from it too - like knowing you made it through something others couldn't handle. You are strong and brave. It can be a vicious cycle - getting scared of being scared. Interruption is key to this cycle, I know. I'm still working on it too though. Sending love and support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk