PDA

View Full Version : What IS slurred speech?

vincy
16-06-17, 01:58
Hi all,

so a few of you will know where I'm at right now with my perceived slurring speech. I was explaining to my friend what it feels like when I talk and what I'm hearing and his reply was "you're a retard thats not even what slurring your speech is"

So this is what my "slurred speech" feels like and I will let you guys judge,

Talking feels like it takes a little more effort and I feel like I mispronounce a lot of my words. Specifically, my articulation doesn't always seem like it is as good as it should be. For example, the word "neurologist", sometimes I feel like I didn't pronounce the "r" enough. Or my girlfriend's name, "Sherry", I will perceive myself to be saying it funny. Same with January and February. There are other times I feel like I'm not saying things right, but predominantly R words.

Nobody else says anything about me talking funny, and it definitely FEELS weird saying certain sentences sometimes and doesnt FEEL like its coming out right.

Is this what subtlety slurred speech would be like, or something else?

Trying to find examples on youtube only lead to people who can hardly talk and have EXTREMELY obvious slurring. It would be a big relief if somebody said that this isn't even what slurring is, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Fishmanpa
16-06-17, 02:09
Please read this! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) Especially the part about speech and swallowing issues.

Positive thoughts

vincy
16-06-17, 02:16
Please read this! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) Especially the part about speech and swallowing issues.

Positive thoughts

"The slurred speech of bulbar onset is persistent not a one- time or rare occurrence and will be noticed by others. If you are not being asked " are you drunk?" it is a good sign!"

It definitely is good that nobody asks me this, BUT, that doesn't answer the question of what slurred speech actually sounds like.

Is simply mispronouncing some syllables what slurring speech is like? I don't know. I really would like to though! I'm hoping someone or a few people can just describe it as accurately as possible.

That is indeed a great read for people who are afraid though, and I frequently do read it to remind myself I am ok!

Thanks!

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-17, 02:22
The fact others can't see anything wrong rings some bells. Someone slurring speak usually sticks out, just as you have only returned examples from YouTube of more extreme things (was it picking out people with medical conditions?).

If someone slurs their speech from having a few beers, it's very noticeable. It's often one of the reason you will wonder if the person is drunk.

So, is it a trick of the mind? Are you hearing what you think is slurring?

Anxiety can have you assessing everything your body does. Should my arm do that? Should my eye do that when I do this? It's classic over thinking and risk assessing in overdrive.

Remember what I said to that other guy about how a therapist migh even record a patient and play it back? Even then there will be some who will be doubting what they are hearing but it's a proving exercise that can be used...but not as compulsion, it's just something to try once to obtain evidence.

When I was stuggling badly I was getting upset by any possible increease in sensations in my body. To work with my fears around increased heart rate my therapist had me perform a Behavioural Experiment. I had to do sprints and then think about how I felt. Hard at first but after so long I realised it was normal, couldn't hurt me, and it as just me getting anxious about a normal thing that was the issue.

Fishmanpa
16-06-17, 02:25
"The slurred speech of bulbar onset is persistent not a one- time or rare occurrence and will be noticed by others. If you are not being asked " are you drunk?" it is a good sign!"

It definitely is good that nobody asks me this, BUT.....

No BUT.. Oh yeah... 19yo... Nuff said

Please get professional help. Talk to your parents or a trusted adult.

Positive thoughts

vincy
16-06-17, 02:30
The fact others can't see anything wrong rings some bells. Someone slurring speak usually sticks out, just as you have only returned examples from YouTube of more extreme things (was it picking out people with medical conditions?).

If someone slurs their speech from having a few beers, it's very noticeable. It's often one of the reason you will wonder if the person is drunk.

So, is it a trick of the mind? Are you hearing what you think is slurring?

Anxiety can have you assessing everything your body does. Should my arm do that? Should my eye do that when I do this? It's classic over thinking and risk assessing in overdrive.

Remember what I said to that other guy about how a therapist migh even record a patient and play it back? Even then there will be some who will be doubting what they are hearing but it's a proving exercise that can be used...but not as compulsion, it's just something to try once to obtain evidence.

When I was stuggling badly I was getting upset by any possible increease in sensations in my body. To work with my fears around increased heart rate my therapist had me perform a Behavioural Experiment. I had to do sprints and then think about how I felt. Hard at first but after so long I realised it was normal, couldn't hurt me, and it as just me getting anxious about a normal thing that was the issue.

I know that it is good that nobody else notices it. I am really starting to believe I don't have any actual speech problems. I have recorded it and played my voice
back for MYSELF plenty of times, and it sounds like what I'd expect 95% of the time (I chalk the other 5% up mostly to the fact that I've always hated my voice and probably just don't like listening to how I talk)

The question is still unanswered though. What WOULD slightly slurred speech sound like. If what I am describing I feel like I am doing were heard by others, would that be slurred speech? Would it not be?

---------- Post added at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

No BUT.. Oh yeah... 19yo... Nuff said

Please get professional help. Talk to your parents or a trusted adult.

Positive thoughts

I have a psychologist and my doctor has prescribed me zoloft. But neither of them explained what slightly slurred speech would sound like, they left it at "you aren't". I just want to know what it would sound like

Fishmanpa
16-06-17, 02:34
The question is still unanswered though. What WOULD slightly slurred speech sound like. If what I am describing I feel like I am doing were heard by others, would that be slurred speech? Would it not be?

It doesn't matter!! You don't have ALS and no matter how you try to get reassurance it's doesn't change that. What does your psychologist say about your participation on the forum?

Positive thoughts

vincy
16-06-17, 02:37
It doesn't matter!! You don't have ALS and no matter how you try to get reassurance it's doesn't change that.

Positive thoughts

I'm almost starting to think theres some sort of worldwide conspiracy to not tell me because no matter how hard I try I can't figure out the answer

Josh1234
16-06-17, 03:32
Dude, get off it already. You don't slur, you don't slightly slur, no one hears it but you, which means the problem is YOU. Read aboutbfs.com, there is a million ALSphobes lIke you convinced they were slurring and had bulbar and none of them did. Slurring sounds like someone is drunk, period. No one gets bulbar at 19. Go get drunk or laid or whatever you should be doing at 19. Quit wasting your life.

vincy
16-06-17, 03:34
Dude, get off it already. You don't slur, you don't slightly slur, no one here's it but you, which means the problem is YOU. Read aboutbfs.com, there is a million ALSphobes lIke you convinced they were slurring and had bulbar and none of them did. Slurring sounds like someone is drunk, period. No one gets bulbar at 19. Go get drunk or laid or whatever you should be doing at 19. Quit wasting your life.

Mate I am drunk right now and I got laid multiple times today I'm keeping a pretty normal life other than my anxiety. I still dont know why nobody won't tell me what it'd sound like.

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-17, 05:51
Mate I am drunk right now and I got laid multiple times today I'm keeping a pretty normal life other than my anxiety. I still dont know why nobody won't tell me what it'd sound like.

Have a heart! Us old farts cant remember the last time the word "multiple" in one day applied to anything else other cups of tea! :winks:

---------- Post added at 05:51 ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 ----------

I know that it is good that nobody else notices it. I am really starting to believe I don't have any actual speech problems. I have recorded it and played my voice
back for MYSELF plenty of times, and it sounds like what I'd expect 95% of the time (I chalk the other 5% up mostly to the fact that I've always hated my voice and probably just don't like listening to how I talk)

Would slurring only appear with "R's"?

What about people who don't use their "t's" due to dialect or slang?

How we think we sound in our heads and how we sound in reality are very different things. It's always a strange experience to listen to yourself from a recording. So, given this happens how can you be sure about slurring? The answer has to be in what can be heard in real life, not inside your head.

nivekc251
16-06-17, 07:52
Gratz on getting laid multiple times a day! It would be impossible for you to say certain words because your tongue wouldn't be able to move to the designated area in your mouth to enunciate. Also you would speak very slowly because your jaw wouldn't function properly. Do a strength test on one of the chicks/dudes ur banging by performing oral lol. We know the fear all too well trust me I've seen videos and these poor souls can hardly talk at early stages. It's almost like the way a deaf person speaks, but less tongue usage. Pink hippopotamus. Social security. Secretary Clinton . Tarantula turtle abscessed apple . If u can say all that random shit your good if you stumble on one it's normal try again. If you had bulbar you wouldn't be able to enunciate any of it. Keep banging people or the person multiple times its actually great for anxiety just practice safe sex.

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-17, 08:09
Gratz on getting laid multiple times a day! It would be impossible for you to say certain words because your tongue wouldn't be able to move to the designated area in your mouth to enunciate. Also you would speak very slowly because your jaw wouldn't function properly. Do a strength test on one of the chicks/dudes ur banging by performing oral lol. We know the fear all too well trust me I've seen videos and these poor souls can hardly talk at early stages. It's almost like the way a deaf person speaks, but less tongue usage. Pink hippopotamus. Social security. Secretary Clinton . Tarantula turtle abscessed apple . If u can say all that random shit your good if you stumble on one it's normal try again. If you had bulbar you wouldn't be able to enunciate any of it. Keep banging people or the person multiple times its actually great for anxiety just practice safe sex.

:roflmao:

But will saying Secretary Clinton add to the pleasure or result in a thread on the Men's Problems board? (Either way that might be worthy of a thread :winks:)

Shouting Trump at the height of it might be going too far though. :biggrin:

axolotl
16-06-17, 08:15
You're a teenager worrying about an old man's disease.

Great it's not affecting your life (Mr Lover Lover), go to the doctor and discuss your anxiety and nip it in the bud before it does.

nivekc251
16-06-17, 20:04
:roflmao:

But will saying Secretary Clinton add to the pleasure or result in a thread on the Men's Problems board? (Either way that might be worthy of a thread :winks:)

Shouting Trump at the height of it might be going too far though. :biggrin:

Haha at my worse I was having problems saying it lol. I would keep messing up and having to say it over and over. That's the only reason I used It as an example not a supporter or hater, and I try to avoid politics like the plague lol. It seemed like I was thinking too much about enunciating words properly and it would make me stumble.