PDA

View Full Version : Can a 9 year old get MS? So scared, please read..

BrokenGirl
16-06-17, 10:35
I haven't been on here in a while. My HA has taken a back seat the last few weeks, but it's only because I have other stresses in my life at the moment.
But my HA has flared up again, this time for my 9 year old daughter. I'm terrified she has something like MS but I don't even know if this is possible at her age. She says that when she goes to bed at night her feet feel weird. She finds it hard to describe it - the only way she can describe it is that feeling you get in your feet when you're on a plane. I'm not even sure what she means by that, whether it's buzzing, tingling, numbness I just don't know.
It's been going on for a few weeks at least, but my only hope is that she got a pair of heelys about 2 months ago and she does wear them nearly every day, especially in the evenings (not allowed them in school).
Could this be causing her feet to feel weird? Is MS possible at her age?
I'm determined not to google this but can anyone put my mind at ease here?
Thanks for reading, sorry about the long post!!

ankietyjoe
16-06-17, 10:41
It's a very, very long stretch from 'feet feeling weird' to MS.

Probably growth related. My 8 year old complains of leg pains all the time.

BrokenGirl
16-06-17, 15:49
I'm really getting into a panic over this. It's not pain in her feet so it must be something like tingling/vibrating/numbness.
I'm so tempted to google. I know if google told me it is rare in kids her age then i'd be happy enough with that. But I know on the other hand google could tell me something else.......
Could it be her heely shoes? But there's something telling me she mentioned this a few months ago as well, before she got her heelys. I'm not sure though - my mind is such a mess at the moment :weep:

rainbow
16-06-17, 16:02
I think it could be the heelys if she's wearing them a lot. Is she generally fit and well? I totally understand how you are feeling and its awful, i've been like this with my kids over the year and its horrendous worrying about them.

My dad had ms and I don't remember him having a weird sensation in his feet. Have you taken your daughter to the gp about this?

KK77
16-06-17, 17:20
It's always possible that early signs of neurological illnesses could manifest early on but I agree that it's a very long stretch when there can be so many innocent and trivial reasons or causes. Nothing you have said sounds at all sinister to me but perhaps taking her to see your GP would put your mind at rest if this continues because we are not doctors.

BrokenGirl
17-06-17, 00:07
I'm just not sure what I should do. Half of me wants to take her to the gp but the other half is saying to leave it a while and see if it gets better or worse or if she develops any more symptoms. And of course my husband thinks I'm crazy for even considering it might be ms. He's the total opposite to me when it comes to health.
I hate being so worried about her but I don't want her to know I'm worried either. I just feel so miserable and scared right now :weep:

worriermama
17-06-17, 00:45
I bet it's the heelys. I would ditch them. I bet it'll clear up after a few weeks of not wearing them. I've seen articles about how they're pretty bad for children's feet. I think it's a very likely culprit. It's not natural to continually hold your foot the way kids do when they're wearing them.

Just google "heelys shoes hazardous" or "heelys shoes foot problems."

BrokenGirl
18-06-17, 13:16
Thanks for the replies everyone, but I'm still very worried about her.
She only wore them for about 20 mins on Friday and didn't wear them at all yesterday(Saturday). I asked her this morning what her feet were like in bed last night and she said she thinks she still felt it but not quite as bad as other nights.
If it is the heelys causing this sensation should it go away after a day or two of not wearing them or could it go one for a week or two or even longer? She's had them for about 2 months.......

Michelle1
18-06-17, 14:03
Could it be restless leg syndrome?
Is your daughter taking any medication as common tablets like antihistamines can cause this as can some cold/cough medicines

BrokenGirl
18-06-17, 16:13
Could it be restless leg syndrome?
Is your daughter taking any medication as common tablets like antihistamines can cause this as can some cold/cough medicines

No she's not on any medication at the moment. Overall she seems to be a fairly healthy child.
But she just said to me a few minutes ago that the best way she can describe it is if you have a plaster on your finger and it's a bit too tight, that's the kind of feeling she gets. And it's usually only when she's sitting up in bed reading a book so her legs are stretched out, not when she's completely lying down going to sleep.
Am I reading too much into all this? I just don't know, but I'm so worried....

Jotia
18-06-17, 16:29
Maybe she just has tired feet?

I get a weird fuzzy feeling in my feet when they are tired, if Iv been walking around a lot or been on my feet more. Kids are constantly running around so it could just be from that. It's also possible the heelys could of causesd it, I had heelys as a kid and they made my feet hurt.

worriermama
18-06-17, 16:36
If it's from the heelys I would give it a week or two to settle down!

BrokenGirl
19-06-17, 13:26
Thanks for replying.
She hasn't wore her heelys for the last 2 days so I'm just hoping that things will improve for her over the next few days.
It's just so hard when you're worrying about your child while at the same time you don't want them to know you're worrying......

Fishmanpa
19-06-17, 13:32
It's just so hard when you're worrying about your child while at the same time you don't want them to know you're worrying......

I'm quite sure she's fine based on your post. Just be cognizant as children are a heck of a lot more perceptive than we realize.

Positive thoughts