PDA

View Full Version : Does medication sometimes have a day off?

ana
17-06-17, 15:32
I'm curious to see if anyone who's on medication has found the same... When the anxiety is really high or when we are going through a particularly difficult time, is it possible that no medication can prevent panic attacks from happening?

Two days ago, I had a health scare, and because of this, yesterday I experienced a massive, full-blown panic attack that completely terrified me and the likes of which I'd not had in at least 4 weeks. I'm on 150 mg of Venlafaxine, and my therapist says depersonalisation/derealisation attacks shouldn't be happening on such a dose. I'm now doubting the medication and feel like I've lost my confidence (yet again)... :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
17-06-17, 15:42
Ana,

I think your therapist is a bit naive there. We aren't on meds that block out our abilities to feel.

If you were in a car accident, wouldn't you feel what everyone else feels?

I don't think it's that it's not working but some events are going to be too big unless you are on meds that are aimed at stopping you feeling things at all.

If your normal days can be fine or anxious then I think a med having a day off is a question. I definitely get that myself too so would be asking the same as you.

snowghost57
17-06-17, 15:52
I don't want to be critical of medication. Zoloft helped me through my melt down. I decided medication just wasn't for me.

They help millions of people and I am really happy for those that it does help.

I have read posts on this forum now for 5 months and I have done my own research.
Medications have side effects and yes when they stop working doctors will increase the dose or change the type of medication. I call it the medication train.

I didn't want a drug to change who I was. I have worked every day with my anxiety, see a therapist and I challenge my thinking. Its hard work but its worth it and it can be done.

I agree with Terry, medication should not block our feelings. I don't know about you but that's not the kind of life I want to live.

ana
17-06-17, 20:10
Terry, my therapist doesn't think that medication would or should stop me feeling, but rather that depersonalisation in the way I experience it shouldn't be occurring on the dose that I'm on currently.
Prior to being on Venlafaxine, I've been on Zoloft, Xanax, Sulpirid, Escitalopram (to name but a few) and have never noticed any change in my personality, as snowghost might be suggesting might happen. I've tried being off medication, but seeing as I've got a severe case of anxiety, I wasn't able to function. Venlafaxine seems to be working well for me, but yes, I do see Terry's point in that extreme and/or unusual situations bring on extreme feelings.

poppadr3w
19-06-17, 14:00
I'm curious to see if anyone who's on medication has found the same... When the anxiety is really high or when we are going through a particularly difficult time, is it possible that no medication can prevent panic attacks from happening?

Two days ago, I had a health scare, and because of this, yesterday I experienced a massive, full-blown panic attack that completely terrified me and the likes of which I'd not had in at least 4 weeks. I'm on 150 mg of Venlafaxine, and my therapist says depersonalisation/derealisation attacks shouldn't be happening on such a dose. I'm now doubting the medication and feel like I've lost my confidence (yet again)... :weep:

As someone who has been on various medications, has seen many different mental health professionals, and has read a myriad of literature (professional and personal) in regards to mental health, my answer is a resounding YES.

Medication is there to help make dealing with life easier, to inhibit anxiety/depression, and to help you cope with the anxiety/depression on an easier, more leveled playing field. It isn't a cure all; well, not for me at least.

I've had many, many off days. With the medications I've been on the panic attacks I've dealt with have gone down in volume and intensity, allowing me to handle them (and generalized anxiety) with much more ease. That doesn't mean that they've disappeared - I never expected that, although that sounds fantastic.

Sometimes I think the professionals, even with years of education and experience, don't fully comprehend anxiety. I didn't before I had my panic attacks and I truly felt what anxiety felt like down to the core. They think these pills will magically make these feelings go away in totality, but I don't know of anyone where this has been the case 100%. Your therapist sounds like one of these professionals.

MyNameIsTerry
19-06-17, 14:33
Terry, my therapist doesn't think that medication would or should stop me feeling, but rather that depersonalisation in the way I experience it shouldn't be occurring on the dose that I'm on currently.
Prior to being on Venlafaxine, I've been on Zoloft, Xanax, Sulpirid, Escitalopram (to name but a few) and have never noticed any change in my personality, as snowghost might be suggesting might happen. I've tried being off medication, but seeing as I've got a severe case of anxiety, I wasn't able to function. Venlafaxine seems to be working well for me, but yes, I do see Terry's point in that extreme and/or unusual situations bring on extreme feelings.

I can understand it, ana, because there are DP/DR disorders in their own right and they must use meds to treat them?

I don't mean to say you are on a med to blunt your emotions buy if you were I would expect you not to feel much of anything. These meds just seem to help rather than stop things but I would think your psychiatrist should understand if they can halt DP/DR.

ana
19-06-17, 15:07
As someone who has been on various medications, has seen many different mental health professionals, and has read a myriad of literature (professional and personal) in regards to mental health, my answer is a resounding YES.

....Your therapist sounds like one of these professionals.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm pleased to hear that you've had the same experience. I completely agree with what you said about therapists being unable to understand anxiety. Regardless of the years spent learning about it as well as the years practising therapy, they don't fully grasp it.