PDA

View Full Version : Terrified about radiation exposure after CT

Vanadio
17-06-17, 16:10
I am a 24 y.o male currently under the proccess of IBS diagnosis/Exclusion of IBD, being followed by my GI doc.

Today I did a CT scan enterography and now i am absolutely terrified that I will die of cancer because of radiation exposure. Previous to this test I only had a Head CT (2010) and a couple of X-Ray trough the years (No more than 10).

I looked into the internet and it says that this CT usually uses 15mSv of radiation... I will probably die of cancer now :(

EDIT: Well, the CT machine I used is Brand new state of the art and uses only 50% radiaton comparing to other top machines, but still im afraid...

Fishmanpa
17-06-17, 16:45
So... let's compare shall we?

I'm a Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer survivor. Guess what they used to fight the cancer? Yep... Radiation. 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Enough radiation to burn the skin off my neck and turn my mouth and throat into an angry burned red mess leaving me barely able to swallow. Add to that a CT scan before every treatment so they could adjust the radiation beams accurately. 30 radiation treatments and 30 CT scans in 6 weeks. I'm not counting all the x-rays, scans (CT & PET) or nuclear stress tests on my heart (they inject a radioactive dye to get better pictures AND you get a CT) before and after or throughout my life.

I'm still here and I'm more than twice your age... Worry if you want... :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Melonpony
17-06-17, 17:39
I always get sucked in to the alarmist publishing around mammography every year when I'm up for my annual one. The most reassuring thing I read is that a mammography at worst exposes you to about 7 days worth of radiation that you normally are exposed to, environmentally. So...thats not much. It's really not as harmful as some say. I'm really just OVER all these health sites like Dr Mercola. It's all a bunch of snake oil salesmen playing on fear, trying to sell you a state of mind (anxiety) to make a buck (buy my miracle vitamins!).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk