PDA

View Full Version : A trip to the ER/fear of heart attack/back pain

sheslostcontrol
18-06-17, 18:43
Hi,

so it's me again. Today I decided to go to the ER (it was actually 'only' for the 2nd time since getting my anxiety) since I was/am feeling really strange, with chest pains, pains in my (mainly) left breast and all that, back pain, some kind of discomfort, I'm pretty sure you can imagine. :) My neck and shoulders really hurt badly while being massaged, so that calmed me down a bit (since I have some back problems and had them before this whole anxiety thing), but then I started googling (I know, I know) and reading all about how women's heart attack can feel like just back pain etc., also reading about having cold sweats/trouble sleeping has not helped.

Anyway, so I went to the ER despite my mom being against it (which hurt me deeply, but whatever). The doctor took me in immediately, touched me here and there on my chest and shoulders (and did it hurt!), used the stethoscope, took my blood pressure and told me not to worry and that it was just the back. It was really rushed but I guess she did what she thought was appropriate and necessary.

So now I'm sitting here, watching TV with a plaster against back pain on, feeling less worried and slightly better, apologizing for the looooong post and wondering if any of you ever had stiff neck/back/muscles/whatnot that lead you to fear you're having a heart attack?

Hope you're having a great day. :)

lucy666
18-06-17, 19:30
Hello!

I've had sore back/muscles and chest pain, and I went to a&e and they did a ecg and it came back normal.

I think now its just a matter of fact of accepting that our hearts are fine, they're all just part of anxiety.

I hope you feel better soon!

sheslostcontrol
18-06-17, 19:39
Thank you. :)

Yeah, I know, my heart should be okay, I had an ecg done in April and it came out okay, also went to the cardiologist last year in January and he said my heart was absolutely fine, and since I'm only 19, I keep telling myself that it's not likely for me to have a heart attack since I don't have any (known) heart condition (the only risk would be that I'm overweight and not too active, but I'm working on that).

You're absolutely right - we should just stop watching ourselves too much. And stop using Dr. Google. :)

Iwant2bhealthy
18-06-17, 22:16
I've been there too. Twice. :-) It will probably make you smile to hear that the first time I was told that I'm having a panic attack I felt so stupid and embarrassed to have bothered the doctor that I almost regretted that it wasn't a heart attack.

Fear of heart attack is something familiar to me, and if it helps to het some reassurance: at the age of 19 you should be fine even if you are overweight and not active.
Take care!

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

Melonpony
19-06-17, 00:05
Been there twice, too. Tight neck, back, shoulders, and pectoral muscles from poor posture And not stretching or exercising. 2 ekg's, blood work, etc etc....all normal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hypomean
19-06-17, 00:36
Yes been there.

Back, shoulder, neck and jaw pain. Followed by palps, and heaviness and burning on my left side of the chest.
I get dropped of at the hospital. And as soon as I mentioned burning they said "nope no heart attack..... "just muscle tension.... we can give you muscle relaxer but I see that you have a recent pregnancy in your history(1 year)...so we don't recommend it"

And that my friend happened 4 times.

sheslostcontrol
19-06-17, 07:52
Thank you all for your comments. :) It really helps knowing that one is not alone in their trouble, though I do wish none of us had to go through any of this.

I feel a bit better today, the one thing that keeps scaring me is the slight shortness of breath, but even that can be caused by my back diagnosis (kyphosis) and the pain.