PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate , low?

Brian_VA
19-06-17, 14:25
I got a fitbit watch as a gift yesterday. I'm becoming obsessed with the heart rate monitor. It's been measuring just under 60 bpm while at rest. 54-60. I'm getting concerned that my heart rate is to low. I go running everyday but I'm not an athlete. When I'm up walking around it's in high 60s-70s. I asked my wife because she also has on. She said sometimes hers is in the mid 50s at rest.

saf138
19-06-17, 15:13
If you run everyday that means you have built up a good cardiovascular system which means a very good resting heart rate if that makes sense.
For instance in the UFC (mma) the middleweight champion is well known for his cardio and he has the lowest resting heart rate in the UFC which I believe is in the 30s BPM.
Even mid 50s is perfectly normal all the best.

Kuatir
19-06-17, 15:36
I run and my resting heart beat is 45. You're fine, you're fit.

Brian_VA
19-06-17, 15:49
These fitbit watches are not good for people with health anxiety. I had to take it off. I was checking it every minute and then started googling. I was at a Dr appointment a few months ago and I'm assuming if there was a problem he would have said something. Ironically I was there because my BP was a little high. Turns out it was only high because I was nervous at the Dr. I had to monitor my blood pressure for 2 weeks at home and my heart rate during the tests were in the 60s and 70s.
Now my wife is mad that I won't wear it. It was a Father's day gift.

ankietyjoe
19-06-17, 16:42
Throw the fitbit in the bin.

When a device tells you you're healthy and fit and you still worry about it, it's probably not for you.

Fishmanpa
19-06-17, 16:46
Throw the fitbit in the bin.

When a device tells you you're healthy and fit and you still worry about it, it's probably not for you.

Exactly!

Positive thoughts

Brian_VA
19-06-17, 17:58
I can't shake the idea that there is something wrong. Wish I never got that stupid watch.

Fishmanpa
19-06-17, 18:08
I can't shake the idea that there is something wrong. Wish I never got that stupid watch.

So despite reassurances and medical facts that what you're experiencing is not only normal but actually really good, you're still worried? Are you doing anything to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Brian_VA
19-06-17, 18:46
I just compared my watch to another heart rate monitor. My watch was 3-4 bpm less each time. So one time the watch said 60 but the other monitor said 64. Maybe the watch isn't very accurate?

Fishmanpa
19-06-17, 18:51
I just compared my watch to another heart rate monitor. My watch was 3-4 bpm less each time. So one time the watch said 60 but the other monitor said 64. Maybe the watch isn't very accurate?

OMG! It doesn't matter! Step away from the watch! NOW!

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
19-06-17, 19:12

Seriously, let it go. You're fine.

Stop checking.

saf138
19-06-17, 19:47
Quick kill it
Kill it with fire
On a serious note though its like switching to 1 weather channel and they tell you it going to be 30 degrees than switching to another weather channel and they tell you its going to be 27 degrees IT DOES NOT MATTER its still going to be warm you are fine. We are surely living in troubling times if we allow technology to be more rational than the free thinking mind.

Brian_VA
19-06-17, 20:10
I know I know. I just saw the Dr 2 months ago so I'm sure everything is fine. It's just something I've allowed my mind to get wrapped around. It's a nice watch but I don't think it is for someone like me. I feel bad, my wife was very excited to get it for me. I'm such an idiot.

Fishmanpa
19-06-17, 21:10
It's a nice watch but I don't think it is for someone like me. I feel bad, my wife was very excited to get it for me. I'm such an idiot.

I didn't know that "someone" was your wife. In that case, and take this from a twice married man, keep the watch and TREAT YOUR ANXIETY! You were prescribed meds. Start taking them! Find yourself a therapist and start treating this. It won't do you any good to have your wife pissed at you because of something like this. You really should be enjoying the watch without feeling threatened by normal bodily functions.

Positive thoughts

Thelegend27
19-06-17, 21:25
I always see people say it's normal for athletes to have heart rates that low but not the average person, but I can tell you that's wrong.

If you have a heart rate in the 50's without other symptoms like dizziness or passing out that's great, it means your heart doesn't have to work hard to supply blood to your organs, a higher heart rate means your heart is having to work harder.

People with heart rate in the 50's has a much lower risk of heart disease than those who have a resting heart rate between 70-100.

My resting heart rate ranges between 55-65 bpm, in the morning it can go as low as 53 bpm.

I was once on a heart rate med because of a high heart rate brought on by afib from vomiting, and my heart rate dropped to 42 bpm and the nurse woke me up and made me sit up and asked if I feel dizzy or anything but I didn't and she said that's good, since my heart can perform well at 42 bpm means that it's in good shape. I don't run really, but I used to skate a lot so maybe that has something to do with it.

As long as you're not passing out or getting dizzy then appreciate your low heart rate.