PDA

View Full Version : Still nervous about cancer even after getting checked

JxSxNG
19-06-17, 15:30
Like many people with health anxiety, I'm absolutely terrified of getting cancer. Recently my main concern has been anal and colorectal cancer. It got so bad that today I actually went to my doctor to get it checked (I get anxiety when I go to the doctor as well, it's a pain.) She said I was fine after a few questions, pressing on my stomach and an external examination but she didn't do an internal examination and that's what worries me. I'm scared I do have cancer but she missed it. I know it's probably unlikely because cancer doesn't run in my family and I got the majority of my symptoms after upping my dose of Zoloft but I'm still worried. Anyone else had a similar experience? Are you still alive lmao

ServerError
19-06-17, 17:04
During my breakdown, one of the things I went to the doctor for was a feeling of discomfort and tightness in my bowels and anus. She did the most rudimentary examination, which I suspect was mostly for my benefit rather than because I needed it. Nothing went... inside.

A year later, I'm still alive. I wasn't as worried as you are about it being cancer per se. It was more that I just knew something didn't feel right and wanted it addressed. She diagnosed IBS and gave me a prescription. The meds I was given didn't really help, but the symptoms come and go and tend to be worse when I don't eat the right things.

You need to trust your doctor. They act on indictations. If anything indicated a more invasive investigation was needed, she'd have done one. And yeah, I know they sometimes make mistakes. But that's rare.