PDA

View Full Version : When did you increase your dose?

Turnaround00
19-06-17, 17:24
Hi
How long did you all wait to increase your dose.
I am currently on 75mg twice a day and whilst I have improved, I am still far from stable. I just want to get better and the gp wants to wait another week or so to see if I get more from this dose.
Seems stupid when all online medical sites say to increase every 7 days.
I need my life back......

KK77
20-06-17, 01:45
I think your doc is being cautious but that isn't always a bad thing. I swapped over to PRG from Gabapentin, so was on a high dose. I think you need to be on >300mg for full benefits but see how you go. Max is 600mg so you have plenty of scope to titrate accordingly. Also, I take it for chronic pain and this usually requires a higher dose than for GAD. You might find 300mg is just right for you.

Turnaround00
20-06-17, 20:39
Cheers for that

I definitely am feeling some benefits already so am thinking I won't need a full dose ya.
Just annoying waiting around as want my life back. Getting a phone call from the mental health team tomorrow so hoping they advice to increase as they will know more.
I am not sure why they are been so cautious when it is such a tiny dose but anyway, lets hope they're not as stupid as they sometimes appear

hanshan
21-06-17, 09:59
Hi Turnaround00 - The "start low, go slow" approach with pregabalin can have two reasons. One is to minimise start-up side effects as your body gets used to the med. Another is that responses to pregabalin can vary quite considerably - some people respond well to quite low doses, others need the maximum dose, so the doctor is testing the waters, so to speak.

If pregabalin can help give you your life back, that will be fantastic - it doesn't work for everyone. Good luck, and hang in there. Your doctor probably thinks a week or so is not a long time to wait, but they are not the one who's suffering.

Turnaround00
21-06-17, 22:40
Thank you Hanhshan

I do undertand but it seems everything I find online suggests a larger dose is required for anxiety. Although because the 75mg bd defo has made some good changes to me then maybe another dose up will suffice.....
I have upped my dose today to 75mg tds so I will have a week on that before I am then reassessed so fingers crossed.
Are you taking pregabalin?

Cherryade
28-06-17, 21:55
It took me at least 2 months on a dose of 150mg a day before I felt it had 'worked'. So doctor has a reason to be cautious. Try not to look for a quick fix.

Turnaround00
28-06-17, 23:10
I haven't read anything that says pregabalin takes 2 months to work. I understand been cautious but to be honest I believe its more to do with competence as they do not really understand mental health issues. I need my life back and lot is at stake so I need a quick fix.
Glad you're now feeling well

hanshan
29-06-17, 04:49
Pregabalin is not a cure - it can only help (to a varying degree for different people) while natural healing processes take place (which can be fast or slow to indefinitely long - think of the time that CBT takes). It's a combination of these two that lead to ongoing recovery. Sometimes pregabalin is only partially effective, but the natural healing starts to kick in after a few weeks or a month or two, so it is worth persisting. Nevertheless, increasing the dose within prescription guidelines (up to 600 mg daily maximum) can also be effective.

Turnaround00
29-06-17, 17:44
Yes, I saw the psych today and we are going to stick with 150mgs bd for the next 2 weeks then if no improvement then they will prob increase it.