PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram - jaw clenching

Ruby77
10-05-07, 11:41
Just wondered if anyone else experiences this?

I've been on citalopram for 6 months and I am always really clenching my jaw, its getting worse if anything.
Its got to the point where I had to see my dentist about jaw problems!

Theres no way I can come off citalopram as its been brilliant in every other way!

Any suggestions?

groovygranny
10-05-07, 12:05
Hi Ruby

sorry, just messed up my reply!

I was only on Citalopram for 6mnths and only experienced this at night when I was either asleep or just waiting to fall asleep. I put it down to the general tightening of the muscles when you're anxious, and it did passed off after a few weeks.

I agree, Citalopram did it for me!

What did your dentist say?

Sorry I'm not much help

:flowers:

Ruby77
10-05-07, 12:16
Well I've always had problems with my jaw, the dentist said it isn't aligned properly and will cause me problems in the future. I just feel it is getting worse lately as Im always clenching it!

I hadn't put this down to anxiety and I don't think it is as I feel ok now and the clenching is all the time. I thought it was the tablets.

You say you were on citalopram for 6 months? Does that mean you are off them now? How are things going if you don't mind me asking?!

groovygranny
10-05-07, 13:56
Hi Ruby, don't mind at all.

Yes, I've been off them for 12mnths.

Don't feel the need to go back on them as I find I cope quite well usually - just a few hiccups now and again. I've learned a lot from my experience and I accept anxiety is part of my life now. I think some anxiety is a part of everybody's life if the truth was known!

Having a big, quite unexpected, hiccup at the moment - but the support here is second to none I've found, so I'm confident it will pass.

Hope this helps a bit

:flowers:

yorkylover
10-05-07, 14:58
Hi Ruby,I have problems with jaw clenching,and I grind my teeth.I get headaches and jaw ache.Iv seen the dentist about it.Mine is anxiety.:)

Scarlett77
10-05-07, 15:05
Hi Ruby,

I'm really glad you wrote about this as i thought this was only happening to me! I've only been on Citalopram for a few weeks, but i've been getting tooth ache from being unable to stop clenching my jaw. I was hoping it just a side effect and would pass like the rest.

I don't have any suggestions as to what would help i'm afraid - could do with some myself though :shrug:

Thanks for raising the topic anyway! Take care,

Scarlett x

Magpie
11-05-07, 10:34
Hi, I had TMJ (temperomandibular joint, where your jaw clicks painfully) from clenching my teeth and found that a bite appliance really helped. I saw an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to get one, the Doctor referred me. You still clench your jaw but the appliance prevents you from being able to do it to the same extent. I don't wear it now and am still clenching to a certain extent but I don't have the same pain I had before, wearing the appliance let the cartilage in my jaw build up again so it can handle it better.

taghrid
02-07-11, 23:20
hi all
i ve been on citalopram 40mg for 4 months,its helped me alot with my PND and anxiety however i get the jaw clenching but my dentist gave a guard to use at night n in the day i try n relax my jaw every time i notice i am doing it,i still get jaw ache headache but it hasn't put me off the meds are helping me a lot.

amanda R
08-07-11, 16:19
I have been on Citalopram for only 11 days and the jaw clenching thing is driving me nuts ! At the moment I feel more anxious and jittery than before I started them. I am working full time and have a very understanding boss and colleagues, but I must look like a cow chewing the cud !! Hope it passes, but from what I've read so far..... it's here to stay for the forseeable future.

baby_amanda
12-07-11, 01:20
Hi there,

I've been on citalopram for 6 years.. the jaw clenching thing was with me for a while like the first year or 2. It's mainly just anxiety and from being so tense all the time. Get a night time mouth guard to avoid any damange to teeth or anything.

Now i dont clench my jaw but i chew on my lips/cheeks sometimes and dont realize it!

Best of luck

amanda R
13-07-11, 14:28
Thanks for your reply. I go and see the doctor next week for a review. I was hoping to come off them and have them only as a short term treatment while i go through something quite stressful , but now I understand I will have to be on them for at least 6 months, and then be weaned off. And no alcohol either!! Must be off by Christmas so I can have my traditional sherry !!:winks:

Rainbowdreams
16-07-11, 20:57
Hi everyone, i was a jaw clencher quite intensely, during the night and it has caused me several periods of neuralgia type pain in my teeth, dentist just said use painkillers. I am now on Cit for week and half and the jaw clenching has ceased in the night and reduced somewhat in the day, so i am pleased, i never actually realised the clenching was part of the angst. Keep with it, it does work. Hugs :)m