PDA

View Full Version : colon cancer concern

JadeRose
19-06-17, 22:33
Hi--
I am really, really worried that I have colon cancer. I am 34 and have suffered digestive issues since my early 20's, but they've never really gotten worse and it's very on and off, so figured it's just IBS type stuff. When I cut out dairy recently, realizing I was lactose intolerant, things got even better. Generally, I have a good diet -- eat healthily -- but I do drink too much alcohol (often have 5-8 drinks on a weekend night, 1-2 glasses of wine on weeknights)

However, I have some very weird and concerning symptoms recently. It started last week, when on Monday I was extremely constipated. I was straining a lot and still had little success. Then throughout the week I just felt the urge to go constantly, and was spending like half the day on the toilet. The weekend it got even worse, and also my appetite was very minimal. I have some abdominal discomfort, I feel very bloated and gassy, and there's almost a heavy feeling, which gets worse shortly after . Today is slightly better, but I also ate a lot less over the weekend and today because I had little appetite.

I know that the thing to do is see a GI doctor and get a colonoscopy, but I am deterred by embarrassment and discomfort. And I am really, really scared.

any advice out there?

axolotl
19-06-17, 23:19
That's a huge leap from what you describe to anything sinister.

The fact embarrassment and discomfort are winning over fear suggests you know that deep down.

Thelegend27
20-06-17, 04:56
Sounds like you got some blockage. You know what, cancer never crossed my mind during my years of health anxiety, it was always about my heart, and then one day I found a palpable lymph node in my neck and then i went on to find 3 more, this was 9 months ago, and I still worry about cancer. What I'm trying to say is, if you keep worrying yourself it will become an obsession. I had cbc and ultrasound and was told not to worry anymore, did I listen? Nope. I went on to worry about lymphoma, colon cancer, oral cancer, lung cancer, neck cancer, prostate cancer, ball cancer, brain cancer, cancer in random parts of my body, skin cancer, melanoma, and it doesn't end there, for someone without cancer I have sure made cancer a part of my daily life. It's a road you should try to avoid going down. Appreciate your good health. I'm only 26 and I've lost my youth to anxiety along with my job and friends as well. Act now.