PDA

View Full Version : New on this forum

eflow
20-06-17, 01:54
Hello,

I am a 35 year old, Canadian male. I have dealt with anxiety and panic almost since I could remember. I lived un-diagnosed for a majority of my life, because I was doctor hopping (using walk-in clinics) and just allowing unhealthy trains of thought and panic control my life. Anxiety and panic have costed me a lot of lost time in my life, relationships and jobs. I have put many people through hell by living in a constant-panic/anxiety state and dragging people that love me through my emotions, reactions and habits. I have struggled with addictions as a form of self-medication, yet, I somehow remain functional. I have put myself through adult education (after dropping out) and through 6 years of university. Currently, I am in a profession where I help people, but I still struggle with my own mental habits. I am dealing with OCD tendencies and OCD harm (intrusive thoughts). These thoughts have gotten worse and now I am unconsciously sabotaging my relationship because of it. I have a wonderful, loving, caring, understanding partner, whom I love with all of my heart. However, I am damaging my relationship with her because I am avoiding the OCD harm thoughts by avoiding contact and intimacy with her. I can sure use advice on where to start and how to get therapy or something. Thank you.

venusbluejeans
20-06-17, 02:09
Hiya eflow and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

snowghost57
20-06-17, 02:11
Find a good CBT therapist, it worked for me. They will teach you how to challenge your thoughts, are they any value to what is going on right now. Stay focused on the present. You can try medication as well, it helped me through a rough patch but I opted to stop taking them.:welcome:

eflow
20-06-17, 03:29
thx guys

Rick(amateur)
20-06-17, 23:40
Hi eflow and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Seeking professional help is definitely an option but you mustn't forget about communicating with your partner. So many couples forget that they must talk and discuss things since they must get through the highs and lows together. I know it's not easy but it's not fair that you keep this all to yourself. If you love her, then give her a chance to help you in recovery. It won't be an easy or quick recovery but, if she's amazing as you say she is, she will be there by your side every step of the way.

I hope you find your answers here and make new friends in the process! :)