PDA

View Full Version : Enlarged Thyroid

cw75
20-06-17, 06:17
Hello
I visited my GP today for dizziness I have had for a few weeks now and it turned out to be inner ear inflammation/fluid from allergies. He then did a few checks in my eyes and my neck. When he felt my thyroid he said it felt slightly enlarged. Ummmm what??? I was not expecting that at all. He said I should get an Ultrasound but reassured me he wasn't overly concerned about it. Of course I am freaking out!!! Anyone else had this and outcome was good? I don't see any swelling or bumps in that area when I look in mirror.

cw75
20-06-17, 19:45
anyone? I am so very worried about this....doctor said slightly enlarged thyroid or goiter? I don't really see it though when I look at my neck.

Darwin73
20-06-17, 20:37
Yes, I had a very pronounced thyroid gland (goitre) when I was diagnosed with Graves' disease (overactive thyroid condition). Once it started to be managed with meds, it completely subsided. I think you can get a goitre with an overactive or underactive thyroid. Simple blood tests should sort this. You couldn't miss mine, but loads of people have slightly enlarged thyroids.

cw75
21-06-17, 02:14
My blood work in April came back normal for thyroid function or at least I thought they tested for thyroid. Will just have to see tomorrow. I appreciate your response :)

nicole97
21-06-17, 14:15
I have an enlarged thyroid too (goiter), with nodules as well. My thyroid function is fine and they just keep an eye on it. If the nodules change in size, they will remove it, but it's been this way for 25 years or more. It's pretty common.

cw75
21-06-17, 20:10
Thanks so much for the helpful info! Much appreciated. Just finished ultrasound so will know in a day or 2 from my doc the results.

hannahc128
23-06-17, 00:38
I have an enlarged thyroid! I see an endocrinologist for diabetes and she discovered it. I have yearly ultrasounds to check on it, as well as thyroid blood work including for autoimmune thyroid diseases. Other than small nodules, nothing has ever shown up so my endo thinks it's just how my thyroid is. It's truly nothing to worry about, I've been through the anxiety and even if it was something sinister, thyroids are fairly easy to treat.