PDA

View Full Version : Hyper aware of tongue?

scaredpt
21-06-17, 14:03
This sounds weird but I've been really anxious lately and my latest symptom is that I have been hyper aware of my tongue and how it feels in my mouth and it feels much bigger. I keep freaking out that hitting my head last week damaged my brain and it's making me lose control of my tongue. How to deal with this weird hyper awareness?

FreakOutQueen
21-06-17, 14:23
When we focus on one part of our body, our minds can make it feel all sorts of weird things. If you can, try focusing on another body part and see if the sensation eases. Just this morning, I woke up worried that I was going to have swallowing issues, and now my throat feels tight and scratchy. The mind is a POWERFUL tool.

siwz991
21-06-17, 14:43
Hey I have the same as I feel my tongue burns and twitches. I feel big discomfort in my mouth since I noticed that and I'm worrying something is wrong with it. From the other hand when I'm relaxed it's a bit better...

Fishmanpa
21-06-17, 14:51
How to deal with this weird hyper awareness?

One way is to remove yourself from the train of thought. Log off and go for a walk or do anything besides sitting on the forum waiting for answers or Googling while your thinking about the hyper awareness.

The CBT won't work unless you work at it and reassurance seeking is detrimental to your recovery. I have to assume your therapist still doesn't know about this as you've posted quite a lot in the last couple of months.

You have to do this pt... These are just words on a screen.

Positive thoughts