PDA

View Full Version : Lump in mouth - worried!

braginskaya
21-06-17, 20:09
So yesterday I'd read an article which mentioned oral cancer (triggering, I know, I'm an idiot), and as I was absentmindedly moving my tongue around my mouth to see if I could feel anything I came across a pea-sized lump underneath my bottom lip, near where the gums start. It feels firm but moveable, and doesn't hurt even when you press on it. I've always had rough, bumpy skin on the inside of my lips and cheeks as I have a nervous habit of biting and chewing the skin there, so I'm wondering if it's scar tissue - but I've never felt a lump like this before! I don't know how long I've had it as I've only just discovered it, I don't know whether I've always had it and only started worrying now because of my anxiety but I don't know how I could have missed it before.

Demographically I should be at a low risk of developing mouth cancer. I'm only 21, I've never smoked in my life, I don't drink alcohol that often (once or twice a week at most, sometimes not at all for a month or two), I've never had oral sex, I was given the HPV vaccine as a teenager (although to prevent cervical cancer, not mouth), and have no family history of the illness that I'm aware of -- and yet I'm still worried sick. My biggest fear is that it could have spread from another undiagnosed cancer I might not have noticed. I'm too scared to even see a medical professional for fear of being told the worst and I don't know what to do. :(

Fishmanpa
21-06-17, 20:19
Demographically I should be at a low risk of developing mouth cancer. I'm only 21, I've never smoked in my life, I don't drink alcohol that often (once or twice a week at most, sometimes not at all for a month or two), I've never had oral sex, I was given the HPV vaccine as a teenager (although to prevent cervical cancer, not mouth), and have no family history of the illness that I'm aware of --

You're more like "no risk"... I'm not a doctor, just an OC survivor.

Positive thoughts

braginskaya
21-06-17, 20:31
You're more like "no risk"... I'm not a doctor, just an OC survivor.

Positive thoughts

Thanks for the reassurance (and glad to hear you're doing well)... still a bit concerned as to what it could be though! I'm due a dentist appointment soon so if it hasn't gone down in a few weeks I'll ask them about it.

braginskaya
22-06-17, 20:01
Sorry to bump this thread but I'm still panicking so much about this wondering what it could be! I know it's probably unlikely to be cancer given my age/demographic but I'm still so worried, especially as the swelling hasn't gone down after two days and I don't know how long it was there in the first place. I googled and it came up with things like blocked salivary glands etc. but I just can't shake the fact that it could be a tumour that's spread from another unknown source...

Fishmanpa
22-06-17, 20:20
No one can tell you that here. You're seeing your doctor in a few weeks. If it's even still there by that time ask him.

Positive thoughts