PDA

View Full Version : Lost vision in one eye for 10seconds

maianixon
22-06-17, 07:42
Lately I've had countless visual problems from anxiety, at the moment it's mostly visual snow and very bad night vision. I was somewhat content with the fact that thats caused by anxiety. Last night however when I turned off the lights to go to bed, one of my eyes went almost completely dark - there was darkness over most of my visual field as if I went blind, while the other eye was normal. It stayed like that for about 10 seconds and then I could see again, although for some time it still felt as if I had a dark curtain over that eye. I was just wondering has that ever happened to anyone else?

I'm so terrified over how could that be caused by anxiety, I have weird nerve sensations all over my body all the time and I'm so scared of MS, although I know MS causes visual problems but would it cause this kind of your vision just going blind? I'm also telling myself if it was MS it wouldn't just get better after a couple of seconds, but I don't know??? I'm so tempted to google but I'm scared over what I would find..
I'm pretty sure my eyes are healthy I had a wide eye exam done a bit over a year ago and tbf I have had a MRI of my brain about a month ago so I know it can't be a brain tumour, but I've read that MS can be missed on some mri scans and while most of the time im semi ok at not thinking i dont have it, now that this happened im terrified

Darwin73
22-06-17, 11:58
I wouldn't think it was MS, but maybe you should go to your optician for a check up. I'm only saying this because two of my relatives had a detached retina and they both described it as a dark curtain over the eye following visual snow. I'm sorry if that has worried you, but I would get it checked for piece of mind. By the way, my relatives are both fine and recovered.

You can be reassured that the MRI has ruled out the scary stuff. Of course, it could be a manefestation of anxiety, but a five minute check could allay your fears.

FreakOutQueen
22-06-17, 13:31
I would get it checked, but with a detached retina, the "curtain" does not just go away. Maybe you have a little tear or small hole in it. It could also just be anxiety. My eyes do WEIRD things when I'm anxious!

maianixon
22-06-17, 14:03
This is now the third time something like this would happen but before it just felt like a dark courtain but I'd still be able to see through it, this time it was actually completely dark.. I'm really scared :/
My legs are now feeling all stiff and weak as well it could just be psychosomatic cause I'm so scared of MS again but it sucks...

Josh1234
22-06-17, 14:52
Go see a doctor.

maianixon
22-06-17, 18:58
So UPDATE:

I went to A&E (cause i couldnt get an appointment until next week and i was freaking out) and they said it's just a thing that can sometimes happen because tiny veins can get clogged behind eyes or smth like that and I shouldn't worry about it and that if it was something wrong with brain it would be much more likely my vision would disappear on both eyes.
I also explained my other symptoms to the doctor and told him how I'm scared it could be MS and he said it is 'highly unlikely' because even with MS symptoms are usually more localized not all over (I didn't know that before).

Anyway I feel a bit better, definitely far from completely reassured but you know how it is. I'm a bit disappointed in myself though because this has definitely been a setback, I was doing better with HA and now this. but oh well

Mav
22-06-17, 19:31
So UPDATE:

I went to A&E (cause i couldnt get an appointment until next week and i was freaking out) and they said it's just a thing that can sometimes happen because tiny veins can get clogged behind eyes or smth like that and I shouldn't worry about it and that if it was something wrong with brain it would be much more likely my vision would disappear on both eyes.
I also explained my other symptoms to the doctor and told him how I'm scared it could be MS and he said it is 'highly unlikely' because even with MS symptoms are usually more localized not all over (I didn't know that before).

Anyway I feel a bit better, definitely far from completely reassured but you know how it is. I'm a bit disappointed in myself though because this has definitely been a setback, I was doing better with HA and now this. but oh well

This has happened to me for a long time now, happened earlier when i got up to fast (one eye, the same eyes this always happens in) went a bit blurry :/ and sometimes one eye sees more in the dark compared to the other. I've never really thought to check it out, my anxiety hasn't really been in that area. i don't think it's worrisome otherwise I'd probably be noticing a decrease in vision.

I do know however that my vision is weaker in that eye compared to the other one.

I am going to the opticians soon however, it's been a while since I went so I'll ask then however like I said, I don't think it's worrying really.

I don't go completely blind in the eye, things just get a bit cloudy/hazy.

maianixon
22-06-17, 19:57
I've gotten all of the symptoms you mentioned before too, always contributed it to anxiety. i guess things like that just happen sometimes and don't really have an explanation? i also get the differences in how dark/bright i see with each eye like you said and a long time ago i googled it and it told me that its not normal but ive mentioned it to numerous doctors and no one even reacted to it so ive just accepted it.

like i said im very far from fine but im at least now accepting of a possibility that nothing is physically wrong with me, which is more than earlier today

lofwyr
23-06-17, 05:11
If I have one eye even slightly closed, or the other eye is getting shined on by the lamp, but the other isn't, it creates a wildly different sense of night vision in my two eyes. It gives me the illusion that one eye is blind, for about ten seconds after the light goes off. Are you sure that isn't what happened?

maianixon
23-06-17, 11:25
Yeah I was literally just lying on my bed and one eye got like a dark spot covering most of my visual field and then it disappeared after like 10/15 seconds

kimwolf
12-10-17, 00:12
yeah realize now that was in bad taste

melfish
12-10-17, 01:23
There's a really long thread on MedHelp about this. It's bound to have something to do with your non-dominant eye taking longer to adjust to the change in lighting conditions.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care/one-time-night-blindness-in-one-eye/show/1081254

Annaboodle
12-10-17, 08:32
look into conversion disoder

Or don't, as you're not a doctor. Best not to plant ideas about possible disorders on an HA board.

swajj
12-10-17, 11:26
Why bump a thread that is months old?

Rtpx
12-10-17, 12:45
Hi!! I have had exactly this recently- always in one eye and when there's a change in lighting i.e. When I turn the lights off for bed! I had a head and neck MRI which came back fine / all clear and the neurologist just said it was one of those things!!

Ethansmom
12-10-17, 15:03
I have an had my right eye blackout for a second or two. My husband has had this lasting for a few minutes, and nothing every happened to us. We were very anxious at the time. I was told anxiety can affect your eyes.