PDA

View Full Version : Lowering LDL and does anxiety affect our Cholesterol?

lofwyr
22-06-17, 14:56
Hey, a couple of questions. First, let me say, I am in no way freaking out about anything. I am just coming to people who do understand what HA is like, and wondering from those who have a lot more experience than me.

A bit of background first. I have always been pretty decent in the cholesterol department, but last year I was slightly elevated. This last physical I had a week ago showed me more dangerously elevated. I am not overweight, I have good blood pressure, so no worries there. But I do have a family history of early heart disease (my dad at 48 and I am 46 now) so my cholesterol levels were high enough I need to address it.

My triglycerides we good, my HDL was 44, could be higher but not terrible, but my LDL was 177, which is not cool, as they say. My total cholesterol was 253, also less than ideal.

I am looking at the TLC diet and going to make efforts to control it with diet first, has anyone done this, and what sort of success did you have through dietary control alone? I suspect I will be on statens or something at some point, but would like to put it off as long as possible. It seems aside from high LDL I am in good health (no diabetes or other problems bloodwork could pick up anyway).

As an aside, does anyone know of any studies as to whether anxiety affects our cholesterol levels?

Fishmanpa
22-06-17, 15:32
To my knowledge, having had cholesterol issues all of my adult life, a mental illness cannot affect levels of fat in our blood. It's about diet, exercise and also in my case, heredity as well.

I've successfully controlled my levels with diet and exercise as well as meds. They're still on the high side but "good for me" according to my cardiologist and based on my history.
Additionally: I believe the opposite is true. While anxiety cannot affect fat levels in your blood. Knowing your cholesterol is high can certainly increase your anxiety.

Positive thoughts