PDA

View Full Version : Noise and Neighbours

zummerset
22-06-17, 15:11
Hi,

Does anyone else experience an often irrational response to neighbours noise in particular?

I have one that will let his dog out before 6am - hideous little thing then barks and barks! Consequently even if I wake earlier I lie there anxious that his back door will open any second releasing the little $hit!

Other neighbour has moved into the house renting - loud outside party of a weekend an h e is a gobby one too! Language is disgusting too. But its once a week and never during a school night - just as well as my little boy has his window pretty much above the gobby ones back garden.

Not sure of the anxiety I am experiencing as the weekend creeps closer is justified or I am over thinking and personalising etc...

What do you think?

ChocolateFrog
07-07-17, 19:39
Hi, yes I do too!

It all started when we had noisy teenage neighbours who would have all weekend parties when their parents were away and sit late drinking and talking in their garden under our bedroom window. I suffered really badly with anxiety and couldn't sleep as I was waiting for this noise every night. I actually went to a hypnotherapist to try and fix the problem. I persuaded my husband that we needed to sell our beautiful home and move (I convinced him that we needed to move nearer to better schools).

We bought a house in the country side with no neighbours - it was lovely for a year but there was a rave in the woods that brought back all my anxieties. My brain couldn't accept that it was a one off and every weekend in the summer I panicked and couldn't enjoy the weather. I'd be glad when it rained at the weekends or bank holidays because that meant no raves! When a local company set up near us and started to have events which meant loud music (not very often to be fair) the terrible anxiety returned. I couldn't breath, I couldn't communicate and had IBS.

So when the opportunity came to move to Cyprus I leapt at it. We had just finished renovating our lovely house in the countryside but I didn't want to live there anymore and now we are renting our beautiful home to someone else.

Cyprus is a noisy place to live. Children shouting, dogs barking, motorbikes roaring down the road. But this doesn't bother me and I thought living somewhere really noisy might 'cure' me. However, because of the exceptionally hot weather the neighbours have set up their tv outside and its on all day. We hear it when we have the windows open or want to sit outside. Doesn't bother my husband or son - they can get on with whatever they are doing. But for me I can't ignore it and I become obsessed. I can't sit in a quiet room, I have to put my own noise all around me incase I hear someone else's.

All those rotten anxious feelings are back and its ridiculous. Its only tv noise for goodness sake. I get so annoyed with myself because I know its irrational but I can't control the feelings I get. I wish there was a chill pill I could take so I'd become one of those people that doesnt let silly things get to them.

Sorry to have vented all this to you on my first visit to this site but you seem like someone who is going through the same issues as me. I wish I had some advice for you. Hopefully we'll get some :D.