PDA

View Full Version : hello people im new! is ne1 here like me?...

loz04
05-11-04, 22:12
Hi everyone,
just joined this website as my mum suggested it earlier. feeling a little alone in this right now, does anyone suffer from panic attacks due to a phobia of some kind?

i've had a phobia of being ill (throwin up) all my life and began having panic attacks wen i was a young child, im now 20! I had separation anxiety and couldnt be anywhere without my mum (spent half of year 6 chasing after her out of skool). they were bad times, i couldnt go anywhere or do anything. im older now and know so much about my problem and panicking. but even though i know so much about it (how my panic attacks begin, how to get rid of them etc) i'm still controlled by my fear everyday and with everything i do and i still panic all the time. more often than not im strong enough to eventually find something to take my mind off it...it's the best way i can calm down...talking about it used 2 help and still kinda does but something that i can do to actively take my mind off it can calm down instantly. i also suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, and have done since i was little (used to do about 14 differnt obsessions a night b4 i cud go 2 bed and they wud take me just over an hour). but these days the obsessions r different...i can get into bed n fall asleep but everyday decisions that i make often r made 'if my problem will allow them'. these can be decisions of the type of music i listen 2 or the type of socks i put! if i imagine me bein ill or panicking wearing them i avoid making that choice (if im having a good day i can ignore them but if im panicking the obsession get worse).

so that's about it on why im here...just wondering if any of you are like me in any way and if so i wanna get 2 know u so i know im not alone! maybe we can help each other? if u wanna get in touch, email me or post a message bac!
Thanks for readin this long essay! lol
xxx

seh1980
05-11-04, 22:24
hello Loz,

Welcome to the forum!!

Don't worry - you're not alone. I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. I used to suffer from agoraphobia but am much better now.

Are you on any meds at all?

Sarah :D

Karen
05-11-04, 22:27
Hi Loz

Welcome to the site. You're definitely not alone here. I have social phobia and suffer from panic attacks.

You'll get a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
05-11-04, 23:54
Hi Loz

Welcome to the site, you will find lots of help and support on here. And will realise that by no way are you alone. Read all the past posts on peoples fear of been sick it will help you loads.

Hope to hear more from you.

Love Sal xxxxx

loz04
06-11-04, 00:02
thanks everyone!

no i aint on any medication. i was offered it at theropy a few years ago but the side affects were nausia so of course i decided against!!

speak 2 ya all soon!
xxx

seh1980
06-11-04, 00:15
hello again Loz,

Medication doesn't work for everyone but it has done wonders for me. I have been on mine for a year now and my life has been transformed. I am now driving. going out alone, etc. I also saw a therapist for a while and it really helped. It's nice having someone to talk to who can advise you and point you in the right direction. So, if things are really bad, don't rule them out...

Sarah :D

sal
06-11-04, 00:15
Hi Loz

Good to hear from you. Many of us have tried medication that has made us feel worse by the side affects and many tablets i have tried i have given up on as i couldnt weigh up how when you feel so close to the edge they could give you a tablet that is supposed to help you but makes you feel so much worse at the beginning.

Medication doesnt suit all and there are so many other options to take with counselling, CBT, Hypno, Accupuncture etc. Try to find something that you think might help you and that you fancy trying.

Love Sal xxxxx

vernon
06-11-04, 11:41
Hi, Welcome to the sit i hape u get the help u r looking for here which i am sure u will. If u like chatting about it why not try our chat room? very friendly there and usualy someone in every evening. take care Vernon

jill
06-11-04, 12:15
Hi Loz:D

Welcome to the site.

Your post was not a long essay, it was all about a strong young lady who has gone through sooo much.
I can relate to your eary years because my daughter from the age of 3 suffered anxiety PA being sick, she would never go anywehere without me. She was diagnosed with anxiety at the age of 6 but the doctors did not tell me it was departation anxiety, I only found this out after many months searching the internet. Wish I had this site back then.
My daughter is now 11 and is soooo much better.
I myself sufferd in the past PA anxiety, I say in the past because that is where it is and its all down to this site and the special people who have helped me to understand and point me in the right directon to feeling better.
You have come to the write place,
You will get alot of help and support here.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Don't dwell on what went wrong instead,
focus on what to do next.
Spend your energies on moving forward.

loz04
06-11-04, 13:41
thanks again everyone, this site looks really helpful, it's so nice talking 2 people who know it's like, as ive been battling alone all my life and never spoken 2 ne1 who's been thru it as well.

i went to theropy wen i was about 11 and have been to different types since then, even tried hypnotheropy but it didnt really make much difference. im so scared of being ill that i would rather die than go through it and the daft thing is i'm a lucky person who never gets ill in that way. the last time i was ill was wen i was 7years old, but all kids get ill at that age!

in the past wen i panicked i'd not go out n wouldnt face it and would let my problem beat me. but now i fight. well, most of the time! since i started bac at uni in september, yesterday was the only day i gave in and walked out of class in a panic attack. i guess everyone has days where they arent as strong and yesterday was mine. i didnt wanna go 2 uni but i forced myself. i get extra scared about goin 2 lectures coz last yr two students ran out 2 b ill as they'd probably had 2 much to drink the night b4 (i dont drink...scared it will make me ill!!) but coz they did that in the lecture, i always think "wot if that was me having to run out?" so then i wind myself up! i got 2 uni n kept thinkin "i really cant do this.." but then i was like "no, ur goin, u can do this." on my way 2 the lecture room i kept stopping and starting my steps as one minute i was a nervous wreck and the next second i'd manage 2 find a comforting thought that calmed me down. i got into the lecture, sat at the bac just incase i wanted 2 go home...which probably made it worse coz although i knew i wasnt ill, i kept thinkin about how i could run out, which is how an ill person would think...if that makes any sense! so it made the situation worse! anywayz, i think i lasted about 3 minutes in there. i could feel thep anic rising through me. i grabbed my bag and car keys about 2 leave and even then, i was tryin 2 fight it..i stopped myself and desparately scanned my eyes around the room 4 somethin 2 take my mind off it so i could calm down, but there was nothing. my vision was blurred, i felt i couldnt breath, i went dizzy and i couldnt think straight coz my head was spinning. at this point i knew the only way 2 save myself was to run, so i did! the second i walked away frrm the situation and i got outta there i calmed down as thought someone had a turned a switch off inside me!

wot makes me so angry tho is that if i didnt try then i could say "well i didnt give it my best shot..." but the fact im fighting so hard and still having it in my head every second of everyday, worrying etc, and even tho i go places n go out shopping etc n uni, i still feel like im not getting anywhere. each day is just the same. just because i went somewhere yesterday and was ok, doesnt mean that 2day is going 2 b the same...and so i worry all over agen, it never gets easier and that's wot's so disheartening! i feel like im fighting against a continuous battle. i always talk 2 my fiance as well n ask him questions about if a certain food is ok, or if i have a pain, n if it will make me ill. im scared im going 2 push him away from me coz it's all the time. i cant talk 2 my mum coz she's dealt with it all my life and she just gets frustrated coz she can c im tryin n nothings changing, so she gets angry too.

The one thing i know is that the way 2 face up 2 my problem is to keep going out, even if i panic and fight it. but even tho im doing this it's still there everyday and doesnt get better and i dont know wot else 2 do. the daft thing is i know logically (and a couple theropists have told me this) that u can only be sick if it's self inflicted...as in getting drunk, eating dodgy food and that even if u ever feel ill, u can take ur mind off it n avoid bein ill. even tho i know this i still get wound up! sometimes i get so nervous that i start 2 feel ill and the daft thing is, if im so afraid of it, y am i putting myself through all that wen if i'd just stayed calm in the 1st place i wudda never felt that w

Karen
06-11-04, 13:57
Hi Loz

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things, by continuing to go out and not avoiding doing things because of the fear. I know from experience that avoiding situations only makes the fear escalate and the problem gets worse. My biggest fear is talking to people, which got really bad when I was 12 and I've been avoiding it more and more since then. It got to the stage where I have virtually isolated myself from everyone and couldn't even answer my own home phone unless I knew who was calling. I'm only just starting to try to challenge myself to face my fears now, and start talking to more people.

I understand the feeling that you are going round and round in circles and not actually getting anywhere. I think a lot of us here have thought patterns which cause us to do the same, I know I certainly do.

You are doing well to keep going to uni and facing your fears every day. We all have days where we are worse than others, so although you had to leave yesterday, you made the effort to go in the first place, and actually got there.

It can be difficult for people who have never experienced anxiety and panic to understand what it is like. Maybe it would help your fiance to read some of the posts on here, and see that a lot of people are going through a similar situation to you, and people do recover. There are also lots of success stories here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

loz04
06-11-04, 14:09
thanks karen,

definately is nice 2 c that im not alone. wen ur surrounded by people who dont have that problem and act normal all the time it makes u feel abnormal and alone, so it's great knowing i have people to talk 2 on here.

think it might acutally help if my fiance reads sum of this, coz until he met me, he never knew anything about it so maybe it wud help him hear other people's experience as well so he knows im not the only one.

good luck with facing your fear, hope it improves for you!

thanks agen!
xxx

davebrum
06-11-04, 17:25
hi loz
welcome to nmp
i also suffer from anxiety - panic attacks - agrophobia and have found this site the best for advice and help
xx david

nomorepanic
06-11-04, 18:03
Hi Loz

Just wanted to welcome you to the site and forum.

You will get loads of help here so we hope we can help you with some of your issues.

Nicola

Rennie1989
06-11-04, 18:52
hiya

(this is going onto the 2nd page, i can feel it)

i have claustraphobia and scolionophobia (skool).

im not panaking as much as i used to

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

Meg
06-11-04, 23:49
Loz

you are doing all the rigt things and providing you encourage yourself wit all your succesess this will pass totally.

PMT time is always worse as well as certain triggers and fears

You're doing great

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

annabel
07-11-04, 00:27
Hi Loz,
I'm new to this site and was really relieved to hear about your situation as it sound just like what i suffer from.
I have had a fear of vomiting since i was a child i was at first scared of being around others that were sick and then i had a problem with me being sick.
I stared to suffer from panic attacks after i had my son (7 years ago) and i have gradually got worse since then. I stared to have panic attacks while in shops or in traffic jams on public transport and it all stemmed from the fear of being sick whilst in these situations. So i began to avoid these situations and i am now (unfortunatley) agoraphobic.
I am unable to travel on public transport and cannot travel in a car with anyone and my life is severely restricted, the only way i am able to go out is if i drive my car . I have seen my GP about this who referred me to a psychiatrist but this did little to help my condition. I too was prescribed medication but was unable to take it in case it made me sick.

Its nice to know i'm not the only person going through this and that there is light at the end of the tunnel for some. Feel free to email me!!! :)

Meg
07-11-04, 00:33
Hi Annnabel,

Welcome to the site .

What you describe is suc a usual pattern

It doesn't always have to be like this.

Apart form your GP and meds what have you been doing by yourself to get over this.

What sort of support do you get at home ?

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

sal
07-11-04, 02:36
Hi Annabel

Welcome to the site and it is great that you can see that you are not alone in how you feel, and there are many more on here who completely understand how you feel.

We are all here to help you.

Love Sal xxxxx

Karen
07-11-04, 03:52
Hi Annabel

Welcome to the site. I went down the avoidance route with social phobia and I think a lot of people do the same, which is how our lives end up being so restricted.

You are definitely not alone and you will get a lot of support here.

Karen

annabel
08-11-04, 15:09
HI
Thanks for all your replies it really helps to know your all out there.

I have not taken any medication and only went to see a psychiatrist for a few months (it didn't help to much).
My biggest problem was telling my family, i lived like this for years without anyone realising and have only just told some family members as it was getting too difficult to disguise.
Did anyone else have this problem and what kind of help did your family and friends provide?

JPF
08-02-05, 20:36
Hi Loz and Annabel

Welcome both to the forum. You'll find a lot of sympathetic and understanding people here who can offer a lot of support and advice. Many of us suffer from common symptoms/triggers and so everyone here knows the kinds of things you're feeling on a personal level. That applies to the unpleasant symptoms and also issues like how you tell people or how they react.

Remember it's not a weakness or a character flaw to suffer from phobias or anxiety. It's the same as any other illness or condition - it just is what it is and shouldn't make you feel ashamed. Some of my friends know I've been getting Panic Attacks, others don't... it depends on what the people are like, how close to them I am and whether I think they need to know.. I don't like heights either but I don't go around telling everyone that :)

The people here and the parent website will give you a lot of support and understanding, there's an awful lot of information and the benefits of being part of this community are very great indeed.

Hope you're both feeling much better soon.

Good luck and good health

J