PDA

View Full Version : Constantly fueling my HA

sheslostcontrol
24-06-17, 14:59
Hi. :) (I'm really trying to suppress the need to post here, but as you can see, it isn't really working.)

So, from yesterday evening to today's noon, my anxiety levels were pretty low and I was doing fine, to my own surprise. I managed to stop myself from googling in the morning when I was a bit worried about a dream I had in a half-awake state, since I was worried it might be a seizure or whatever, but I was calm and knew it was just a dream I had shortly after being woken up.

Anyway, after lunch I started just googling, just casually, you know, in a calm state of mind... until I wasn't calm anymore and was fearing all kinds of diseases again. Suddenly remembering about the weird dream (not without a trigger, though - I was helping my father at the time and since he was in the dream, I guess that's why I remembered it) has not helped at all.

Why do I do this to myself? Does anyone have any advice how to just prevent myself from googling all that? Should I chop my fingers off? :)

Hope you're having a nice day. :)

Fishmanpa
24-06-17, 15:24
Does anyone have any advice how to just prevent myself from googling all that? Should I chop my fingers off? :)

I have a solution but I'm afraid for some it's even more extreme than cutting your fingers off! It's called "relinquishing control".

Most browsers have parental controls. There are also add on apps that can be added to restrict searches and block sites and keywords that feed your fears. Get a partner, relative, parent, friend etc. to set that up on all your devices and password protect it so you can't get in to change the settings.

It's extreme and it challenges the heart of HA IMO... and it's not an avoidance behavior as you're not avoiding. It's more like you just can't get there anymore. You can try as much as you want to feed the dragon but you're out of food and feed store is closed ;) You'll still be able to Google but think of it like movie ratings. You're only allowed to see things that are PG13 ;)

Positive thoughts

sheslostcontrol
24-06-17, 16:49
I have a solution but I'm afraid for some it's even more extreme than cutting your fingers off! It's called "relinquishing control".

Most browsers have parental controls. There are also add on apps that can be added to restrict searches and block sites and keywords that feed your fears. Get a partner, relative, parent, friend etc. to set that up on all your devices and password protect it so you can't get in to change the settings.

It's extreme and it challenges the heart of HA IMO... and it's not an avoidance behavior as you're not avoiding. It's more like you just can't get there anymore. You can try as much as you want to feed the dragon but the you're out of food and feed store is closed ;) You'll still be able to Google but think of it like movie ratings. You're only allowed to see things that are PG13 ;)

Positive thoughts

Thank you for suggestion. :)

I see it might work well, but I was thinking more of something that challenges it within me - not simply blocking the access. I guess that's something I need to figure out for myself, though.

I'm still proud of myself as googling wasn't the first in the morning I did.

Have a nice day. :)

MyNameIsTerry
24-06-17, 17:18
To challenge it can mean various things. Therapists use exposure exercises to work you through reading triggering articles to desensitise you you to it but it's hard going like any exposure work is and it needs a good structure with adjustments to tackle any bits you get stuck on.

Another exposure would be to apply a waiting period. That means you start with a small amount of time, which you build up gradually, where you sit with the urges to Google but do nothing.

Distraction can be used but therapists have to be careful with OCD as this can become a replacement compulsion.

If you wanted to try a distraction, which won't be challenging your behaviour as you stated you wanted, then you can Google things that won't get you to health stuff. This is where adblockers could be useful to keep the health sites off your screen.

Blocking is avoidance. Adaptive behaviour is healthy instead. But sometimes avoidance is needed earlier on to give you a break however any therapist will work to get you beyond that fear eventually because they know blocking is only feeding anxiety and something from a newspaper or overheard conversation is still a trigger.

How about a worksheet technique to work through the current thoughts of Googling and reach a conclusion as to why it's not needed? Or using that technique to conclude about the fear urging you? There are various ones for that? I could post a link to a site with them on.

Ultimately working with those thoughts is needed and that's where therapy work comes in. There are online workbooks for that.

With compulsions they tend to build and after a time where they reach their intensity, they fade. If you learn to get beyond that frequently, the compulsion will fade. It's important to learn to observe rather than react too as reaction in a negative/fear based way feeds it all. Mindfulness is good at teaching that but it's a skill, it's not a quick technique..

sheslostcontrol
24-06-17, 19:04
To challenge it can mean various things. Therapists use exposure exercises to work you through reading triggering articles to desensitise you you to it but it's hard going like any exposure work is and it needs a good structure with adjustments to tackle any bits you get stuck on.

Another exposure would be to apply a waiting period. That means you start with a small amount of time, which you build up gradually, where you sit with the urges to Google but do nothing.

Distraction can be used but therapists have to be careful with OCD as this can become a replacement compulsion.

If you wanted to try a distraction, which won't be challenging your behaviour as you stated you wanted, then you can Google things that won't get you to health stuff. This is where adblockers could be useful to keep the health sites off your screen.

Blocking is avoidance. Adaptive behaviour is healthy instead. But sometimes avoidance is needed earlier on to give you a break however any therapist will work to get you beyond that fear eventually because they know blocking is only feeding anxiety and something from a newspaper or overheard conversation is still a trigger.

How about a worksheet technique to work through the current thoughts of Googling and reach a conclusion as to why it's not needed? Or using that technique to conclude about the fear urging you? There are various ones for that? I could post a link to a site with them on.

Ultimately working with those thoughts is needed and that's where therapy work comes in. There are online workbooks for that.

With compulsions they tend to build and after a time where they reach their intensity, they fade. If you learn to get beyond that frequently, the compulsion will fade. It's important to learn to observe rather than react too as reaction in a negative/fear based way feeds it all. Mindfulness is good at teaching that but it's a skill, it's not a quick technique..

Thank you for your response. I'll look into your suggestions.

Have a nice day. :)

Fishmanpa
24-06-17, 20:05
Thank you for suggestion. :)

I see it might work well, but I was thinking more of something that challenges it within me - not simply blocking the access.

Here's the train of thought on this. You find something physically to fixate on. You Google. psychosomatic symptoms appear, your anxiety rises, you Google some more etc...

Using parental controls challenges you in a different way. It forces you to either find a positive way to distract yourself or frantically and unsuccessfully trying to find ways to feed the dragon as he's pissed and screaming at you for a meal. The latter of the two will make things much worse and you know that. Fighting that demon covers having to change your train of thought due to any triggers that come along, but the restrictions as well. It also challenges you on an internal/physical level. The approach I'm suggesting is more like an intervention for addiction. Forced withdraw to get through the initial wall of defense that needs to be defeated in order to get the dragon's lair.

Positive thoughts

Positive thoughts