PDA

View Full Version : The HA Merry-Go-Round Of Doctor Reassurance

Vikingbeast
25-06-17, 13:56
Yeah, the old too familiar routine of doctor(s) checking you out and ASSURING you you're fine. You know how it works - you're cool, relieved, happy, praise God for answers to your prayers - then before long, back to OCD checking, questioning, worrying................

Since March, I've had not only my dentist on several occasions, but an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor AND a long-time (getting ready to retire) respected Oral Surgeon tell me that this thing on the bottom of my mouth IS NOT anything to worry about. In fact, the Oral Surgeon flat out told me "It's NOT c****r."

I reported this back to my dentist and he told me "I didn't think it was."

Last week, I had to go get a filling at my dentist. I said "Oh by the way doc, it's (the spot) is still there, but not really changed." He looked again and said it's simply scar tissue from when I bit it (yes, you CAN bite the bottom of your mouth under the tongue!) and I'll probably have it the rest of my life, but it's absolutely nothing to worry about. He had the assistant take a couple pictures of it.

Of course, I felt relieved again. The HA is back, the checking, you know the drill. This time, it was "WHY did he take pictures of it if he thinks it's nothing? He never did that before?"

Now the logical side of me says "Well, the answer is that he sees a lot of patients and certainly can't remember what it looks like when I come back later." So what he did makes sense on that level.

Mind you, the counseling and meds are helping me through this, but damnit, it sucks!

Two things to finish: First, the spot which I bit always looks worse in the morning and by later in the day and in the evening it looks a lot better. In addition, my HA seems to subside after dinner and in the evening.

THREE experts! A dentist, and ENT AND an Oral Surgeon - NONE of them have even done a biopsy or suggested one, even after multiple visits!!!!

All I can do is shake my head.

Aleman200
25-06-17, 18:50
My friend i am in the same boat. I've gone to A&E and back to my GP on more than enough occasions for reassurance, as my therapist told me. It's only temporary reassurance and it's actually bad for you to constantly ask for it. You need to believe in yourself and TRUST the doctors.

One thing i always tell myself is "They are medically trained for years and years, me? I just looked on google". If things could be solved by googling then there'd be no need for doctors.

If they haven't done a biopsy they obviously feel no need too. I know fishmanpa is a head and neck cancer survivor and he has told his story a fair few times. So even if you did have it (Which you don't!) then it's not exactly a death sentence! The doctors know what to look for, they know what they're doing and they see thousands of patients by the weekly. All with different symptoms.

Try to think positively and trust in them!

Vikingbeast
25-06-17, 21:00
My friend i am in the same boat. I've gone to A&E and back to my GP on more than enough occasions for reassurance, as my therapist told me. It's only temporary reassurance and it's actually bad for you to constantly ask for it. You need to believe in yourself and TRUST the doctors.

One thing i always tell myself is "They are medically trained for years and years, me? I just looked on google". If things could be solved by googling then there'd be no need for doctors.

If they haven't done a biopsy they obviously feel no need too. I know fishmanpa is a head and neck cancer survivor and he has told his story a fair few times. So even if you did have it (Which you don't!) then it's not exactly a death sentence! The doctors know what to look for, they know what they're doing and they see thousands of patients by the weekly. All with different symptoms.

Try to think positively and trust in them!

Good lookin out Aleman! You are 1000 % right - but you know how it is. Logically, you KNOW your doctors are right. But when this f***ing HA kicks in, logic, reason, sanity it seems goes out the door. At least for me it does.

Wish I had time to respond more but again, I do sincerely thank you for your CORRECT and helpful response.

Aleman200
25-06-17, 21:59
That's the spirit mate, keep it up and you'll beat the beast that is health anxiety. I struggle to keep it under control but it's all practice.

Vikingbeast
25-06-17, 23:46
That's the spirit mate, keep it up and you'll beat the beast that is health anxiety. I struggle to keep it under control but it's all practice.

What advice from across the pond can you give me that you find helpful?

Aleman200
25-06-17, 23:49
Constantly challenging my thoughts. I'll often think "Well if it was the worst case scenario i probably wouldn't have time to worry about this kind of stuff". I try to distract myself as much as possible and just remind myself that the doctors are incredibly well trained, and the medical field is incredibly advanced and always changing.

Vikingbeast
26-06-17, 01:42
Constantly challenging my thoughts. I'll often think "Well if it was the worst case scenario i probably wouldn't have time to worry about this kind of stuff". I try to distract myself as much as possible and just remind myself that the doctors are incredibly well trained, and the medical field is incredibly advanced and always changing.

So simple, yet so hard. As you Brits might say, "Bloody hard!" I'm doing better, as it sounds as if you are too. Oddly enough, I have a brother two years younger than me who has and is going through an episode again, too.

I note a correlation in observing his struggles and mine - it always seems to happen during or after an incredibly stressful time. He got it (HA) profoundly the first time during an extremely stressful job. Got it again during his PhD work, and again this past year moving from Ohio (hometown) to Florida. Same with me - my first one hit, for example, shortly after I finished my masters degree.

You know what I think? I think it's just misplaced anxiety! Like a counselor told me back in the early 2000's when I asked him "Why am I worried about THAT?" (it was another thing I was obsessing about then). His reply was more or less, "When your in that state, your brain will FIND something to obsess about."

Really, I think it's misplaced anxiety and it latches on to the easiest thing or the most current potentially stressful thing available.

Make sense?

Vikingbeast
27-06-17, 13:04
Here's an article I happened across recently that really helped me. There's a couple of small boxes at the end of the article with some helpful thoughts. One said something to the effect that only a health care provider can relieve your worries and once they do, BELIEVE them! I have had three experts tell me I have no worries, so I must BELIEVE them!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2822317/Health-anxiety-time-15-years-old-d-brain-tumours-cancer-countless-diseases-thought.html

Aleman200
27-06-17, 13:28
One of the rare daily mail articles that's actually quite informative, though i would advise against reading the rest of their stuff as it can be fuel to the fire for HA sufferers like ourselves.

cattia
27-06-17, 17:26
I totally relate to this. I've written an entry about this in my blog. It's the very story of my life. Linking to my blog if you fancy a read.

http://mylifewithanxietyandotherstories.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Vikingbeast
27-06-17, 20:35
I totally relate to this. I've written an entry about this in my blog. It's the very story of my life. Linking to my blog if you fancy a read.

http://mylifewithanxietyandotherstories.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

I shall read tonight - thanks!

AussieWorrier
30-06-17, 09:01
I'm the opposite I avoid doctors they just make things seem worse than they are and put you through unnecessary tests

Vikingbeast
30-06-17, 13:23
I'm the opposite I avoid doctors they just make things seem worse than they are and put you through unnecessary tests

My wife does that. One one hand, I understand why. It just has to be a balance though. Reaching that balance is the goal of those of us with HA.