PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed about body temperature, please help...

MikeGR
25-06-17, 23:13
Hello guys...

To start I have to say that I have been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and Im currently on Zoloft (50mg/day).

I have been really obsessed about my body temperature, every day for the last 3 months give or take... I check my temp with an electronic thermometer every hour if I'm feeling the slightest "disturbance".
Also I read that taking your temp from your armpit is actually off by 0,5 C which means if the thermometer says 37,2 it's actually 37,7.

Anyway, my temp is always around 36,2-37,5 and it's driving me insane. I am so worried that I will be sick and that I will have to take time off which may cause me to lose my job...
Right now it's 37,5 (which means 38) and I cant even move my head...

What should I do?

Anxiouscow
26-06-17, 22:12
Body temperature is not constant. Armpit temperature is also not constant. In any case, body temperature can safely range from 36.2 degrees to about 38 without there being any infection.

In three months, you would be pretty ill right now if you had a serious infection. I think you should continue taking your SSRI medication, and I would also ask your doctor about the possibility of therapy. By the way, I just checked my temperature, it's 38.5 degrees as I have glandular fever at the moment, but that doesn't mean I'm going to die, I'm going to be fine.

I hope you feel better soon.

MikeGR
26-06-17, 22:57
Thank you for your response...

I am totally losing my mind, I'm gonna call my therapist tomorrow.

For example... It's a really hot day, I don't have air condition or even a fan and I am sweating like a pig... My thermometer says 37,2 C (actually 37,7) and I dont know if it's because of the heat or because I am sick... How can I know?

Anxiouscow
26-06-17, 23:38
You don't have a fan on or air conditioning and you wonder why you are sweating? I think you should attempt to cool off by taking a shower or turning a fan on, and then take your temperature.

You usually can feel when you have an infection. You will feel tired, lethargic, feverish. If you have a body temperature of 37.7 that is still a safe temperature for your body to be at, but I would assume that it is slightly elevated because you are naturally hot because of the weather.

Catherine S
26-06-17, 23:43
You live in Greece Mike, it was a hot day so why isn't logic telling you that without air conditioning or a fan you'd be feeling the heat, and that the heat would raise your body temperature. And it follows that the heat can make you feel like crap. How long have you lived there? You've never got used to the heat there? I'm tempted to say you could try being a menopausal woman, then you'd really know what a high body temperature felt like but I won't say that lol!

The same advice to you would be the same advice to those who constantly check blood pressure, heartrate or their poo. Stop checking. But yes, only your therapist can give you the tools to help you with this obsession.

:)

ScaredLizard
27-06-17, 18:15
Thank you for your response...

I am totally losing my mind, I'm gonna call my therapist tomorrow.

For example... It's a really hot day, I don't have air condition or even a fan and I am sweating like a pig... My thermometer says 37,2 C (actually 37,7) and I dont know if it's because of the heat or because I am sick... How can I know?

37.7 is still a normal temperature! People fluctuate wildly depending on the day and what they are doing. Anything under 38 is not a temperature. Just normal fluctuations

MikeGR
12-07-17, 15:09
Thank you guys but can you please say that to my brain?
Apparently it doesn't understand and it's driving me crazy...

Right now I am at work. I am sitting on my desk and I have the A/C on 22 degrees which is really cold but my forehead and my throat are super hot to touch.
Of course I pull out the good old thermometer and it says 37.2 (armpit) and man I'm going insane...
I know it's my anxiety spiking but I'm already on meds... what else should I do...

Fishmanpa
12-07-17, 15:49
what else should I do...

Bin the thermometer! There's no need to take your temperature.

Positive thoughts